Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #11
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

Re: Jay Gruden expected to return in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I lean that way too.

I wish I could find the clip - remember the 3rd and 1 against New Orleans where Gruden ran Perine to try to pick up the first down, which would have iced the game? Niles Paul missed his block in the hole, the Saints blew up the play and the rest is history.

Well after Perine got stopped there the camera showed Jay. He shook his head, and I read his lips. He said to himself 'this team has no fucking balls.'

I was too mad at the time to find it funny, but it was. It's also an indictment of the lack of toughness on the team (save for a handful of dudes), which is partly a reflection of the coaching staff, and partly the mindset of the players.

I think, in addition to getting healthy, we need to grow some onions.
The absolute lack of competitiveness and toughness was the most heartbreaking thing about this season. Our team often looked like scared rabbits. Some games we look like we just didnt want to play or were too scared to play.
Im not talking about the guys like moses- who trucked it out all season, there are certainly people that played and played hard that give props.
But there is something wrong when you cant pick up 3rd and 1 consistently or
guys arent laying them selves out there to put it all on the line.
Is that a reflection of Cousins? Gruden? Upper management? Do we have too many oft injured guys that are just worried about getting a paycheck than winning the game? (Niles? Reed? Lauvou?)
i have no clue- i have been a big Gruden supporter- but if anything this is my harshest critiscism of him - he needs to get his players to step up and crush the opposition mercilessly. Be unforgiving and dominant.
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote