Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

United(?) States of America

Debating with the enemy

Old 06-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I said in the other thread I'm taking a break, but of course the mind doesn't always let that happen...

So instead, I thought maybe we could have a thread equivalent to the Good News thread, but about the politics that unite us a country. What a great idea I thought to myself, until I tried to bullet point some of the uniting aspects of our country.

So to Chico, Punch, Mooby, G1, and Matty I ask for your help specifically. What are the things about the US that unite us a country. Political choices and thoughts which all of us agree on. My problem was that once you get past the platitudes (Mom, country and apple pie, land of the free), or the utopian idealisms (all people are created equal, or our constitution is the foundation of our country) , I can't find specific political policies that unite us.

So please, help me understand what unites us.

Thanks
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: United(?) States of America

Beer
Old 06-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Beer

agreed
Old 06-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

Seriously though if we were able to have these discussions in person over a beer we’d probably find more common ground than we think
Old 06-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Great idea C Red. It is alot tougher to talk about what divides us rather than what unites us unfortunately. What unites us? We all want healthy happy prosperous lives for us, our friends, and our families. How do we get there? That is where we run into differences of opinions. Than we have discussions. Which up until a couple years ago was pretty easy to do. What divides us? Trump. It is that simple. I seriously think he has changed the landscape of what used to be simple conversation. Maybe if he could apologize, admit he was wrong, or just not lie about stupid shit than it would not be so difficult for us to come to terms with one another on our own differences. I mean it is no coincidence that the divide in this country has deepened since he became candidate Trump. When the guy at the top constantly plays the blame game and has an ego the size of Texas that he needs stroked constantly that all trickles down into what used to simple differences of opinions. It is like all or nothing now. It is terrible.
And i agree with Matty 100%. It is hard to really grasp someone’s demeanor on a message board. Sometimes we might come across angry or sarcastic when we aren’t really angry or sarcastic. So let’s go to the bar in a couple hours and continue this conversation.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Anyway for the sake of this thread Ill try and pretend like Pence is President. Still think he is an Asshole but don’t feel my blood boil every time he opens his piehole. 🤪
Old 06-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Ironically one of the things that unites us as a country is our freedom to have these conversations. Hell in alot of places half of us would be hiding from the rebels and the other half would be hiding from the government.
I have alot of close lifelong friends that are pro Trump, and we go at it on Facebook and it gets pretty nasty. But thankfully when we are out and run into each other we have a drink and laugh about it. Talk about our families and our lives and that usually supersedes or even prevents any future arguments. We come to the conclusion that in a few years this will all be over and the right and left will be more side by side than worlds apart.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Great idea C Red. It is alot tougher to talk about what divides us rather than what unites us unfortunately. What unites us? We all want healthy happy prosperous lives for us, our friends, and our families. How do we get there? That is where we run into differences of opinions. Than we have discussions. Which up until a couple years ago was pretty easy to do. What divides us? Trump. It is that simple. I seriously think he has changed the landscape of what used to be simple conversation. Maybe if he could apologize, admit he was wrong, or just not lie about stupid shit than it would not be so difficult for us to come to terms with one another on our own differences. I mean it is no coincidence that the divide in this country has deepened since he became candidate Trump. When the guy at the top constantly plays the blame game and has an ego the size of Texas that he needs stroked constantly that all trickles down into what used to simple differences of opinions. It is like all or nothing now. It is terrible.
And i agree with Matty 100%. It is hard to really grasp someone’s demeanor on a message board. Sometimes we might come across angry or sarcastic when we aren’t really angry or sarcastic. So let’s go to the bar in a couple hours and continue this conversation.
Ugh to the first part. I think since Bill Clinton/Newt Gingrich we have only grown more divided. Then 9/11 which united in rallying but really sent a strong backlash of division - i mean, alot of the division now comes from security issues which never took on the same level before 9-11. Then came social media, then came Obama, which led to Trump. Trump wasn't an isolated divisive factor , he may be the lava spewing out the top, or the crack in the ground after the earth shifted years ago, but i dont' think it started with him.

A bar sounds good.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Ironically one of the things that unites us as a country is our freedom to have these conversations. Hell in alot of places half of us would be hiding from the rebels and the other half would be hiding from the government.
I have alot of close lifelong friends that are pro Trump, and we go at it on Facebook and it gets pretty nasty. But thankfully when we are out and run into each other we have a drink and laugh about it. Talk about our families and our lives and that usually supersedes or even prevents any future arguments. We come to the conclusion that in a few years this will all be over and the right and left will be more side by side than worlds apart.
This is an excellent point and post.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #10
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Ugh to the first part. I think since Bill Clinton/Newt Gingrich we have only grown more divided. Then 9/11 which united in rallying but really sent a strong backlash of division - i mean, alot of the division now comes from security issues which never took on the same level before 9-11. Then came social media, then came Obama, which led to Trump. Trump wasn't an isolated divisive factor , he may be the lava spewing out the top, or the crack in the ground after the earth shifted years ago, but i dont' think it started with him.

A bar sounds good.

Didn’t mean to make it sound like it was all kumbaya until Trump. Lol. But I would say that divisiveness is at an all time high.
Can you guys make it to the Jersey Shore because I gotta work in the morning.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Beer
.........this.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #12
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Seriously though if we were able to have these discussions in person over a beer we’d probably find more common ground than we think
I agree but I all so think you will find it is a different thing for different people .We all have had different experiences growing up ....good and bad and to me anyway that is what forms us and our opinions.
I grew up in a very "Rockwellish" way ,I walked to school ..always grade school ,Jr High and High school and they weren't all right next to each other and no BS ..during the summers at the shore we never ever locked the doors to the house.We all ate dinner together (7 kids) and we were all taught by our parents to say yes sir ,no mam and please and thank you...all the time.I was born in 1956 which makes me a child of the 60's and early 70's and it was great and bad at the same time the bad ,both Kennedy's and Martian Luther King murdered and the Vietnam war and riots in the streets and then on the other hand you had the race for space ....the greatest music ever and sports seem a little bit more magical then. Even sex seem more wholesome then..no aids ,Playboy was awesome then!
People talked more to each other,no internet,no cell phones no video games and kids could get part time jobs,they weren't all taken by adults trying to make ends meet. It was all so a time I grew up ,as I mention the Vietnam war and there were 7 kids in my family , well there were 4 girls and 3 boys my oldest brother was declared 4F as was my youngest for health reasons so guess who was lucky enough to be the one that might have to go ...yup and yes my number was pulled but the draft had been stopped by then. Had a cousin who had already been killed over there so it made for some very interesting discussions with a Dad who served in WWII but as I told you my year of birth maybe you can understand that as a kid in grade school and hiding under your desk during drills could make you have differing opinions on Atomic bombs and Wars.
Now I fast forward to today's world and the two girls I have who are married to military personnel and I know what the guys and their wives and children go through all the time, so yes it to alters my opinion on things .
My point is all that is what to me has made America great,it's bad and it's good the one thing this country has always done,I mean always done is come back stronger after some tragedy but I do honestly not know if this country will ever come back from trump as president,yes I really mean that.
Sorry for the rant.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Of course this country will come back from Trump. God is great.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

God must have one hell of a sense of humor, or he’s just plain evil
Old 06-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
God must have one hell of a sense of humor, or he’s just plain evil

Aint it the truth....wish I hadn’t said God. I hate to sound like a religious person. should have said the universe works in kind and mysterious ways.