Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #61
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Yet another reason why Cris Carter is a moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Sorry SS, I didn't mean this to be another ESPN player haters ball. I should have known better.
Uh oh! Looks like that goon Florio is jumping in too! Get him, SS!

Today’s breaking NFL news from ESPN is neither breaking nor news | ProFootballTalk

Advertisements
Old 08-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #62
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

"Sources tell ESPN's..." isn't one of my favorite things, quite honestly. That said, ESPN frequently credits other sources. And it's funny that CBS Sports and NBC Sports openly take issues with ESPN, it's not really they way professional media should act.

Oh well, que sera sera
Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #63
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
No worries. I mean I agree with the initial post. CC was being ridiculous not including Calvin Johnson in the top 5 WRs. But what's worse, and what's kind of typical of him, is that he couldn't just say he was wrong and just forget CJ. No, instead he has to go on a huge nonsensical tangent. But he does not represent the thoughts of every analyst at the company, and neither does Cowherd...and Cowherd doesn't create the polls
What also bothered me was the reasoning was insulting. CC flat out insults Calvin Johnson. CJ has always been a professional and didnt deserve that.

I clearly believe if Stafford can remain healthy, CJ can and will put up the best WR numbers in the game. Lets remember to bump this later.

He Gets Us
Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #64
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Jaws is entertaining because, as I've mentioned here before, he talks like that in everyday life.

Wiley and Dilfer are decent.

There are several good analysts, and some that aren't as good. In my opinion though, and I know most will not agree, the best person to talk NFL football with at ESPN is Mike Golic. Yeah, Mike Golic. No one, in my opinion, does a better job of mixing the X's and O's with his real life experience. Unfortunately, not many people get to experience that side of him. I think his current role kind of handcuffs his talents as an NFL analyst.
Smootsmack:

I never even thought of Golic in this context because in my mind he is a "radio guy" and his show is not focused on football.

Nevertheless, I agree that when he talks about the NFL, it pays to listen...
Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #65
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
I can't agree with him at all anymore. I think he has something against D.C. He predicts that redskins will be the worst team in the NFL I don't mind criticism, but to blatantly single out one team like this is not objective. It comes off as something personal. He even had a poll on sportsnation: will the redskins be the worst team in the NFL?

And more often than not, he contradicts himself when he tries to make a point- saying one thing and then the opposite in one breath. And when he is wrong, which is alot, he tries to backtrack and to try to distract by saying he meant something else.
I can take Cowherd or leave him. If I am driving in the car and his show is on the radio I will listen; that is the extent of my listening.

However, if as a radio host he decides to do a segment on the "worst teams in the NFL for the upcoming year", he almost has to identify THE one that he thinks will be THE worst. So, by definition, he will have to single out one team for that label.

Now I happen to think that the Bengals are going to be that team in 2011, but that does not make me someone who hates Cincinnati or Mike Brown or Marvin Lewis or fill in the blank here.

The fact that he thinks the Skins will be the worst team in the league does not mean that he hates Washington, Danny Boy, Mike Shanahan or the US Congress. Oh wait, he might hate the Congress and that would not be so far off base...
Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #66
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Smootsmack:

I never even thought of Golic in this context because in my mind he is a "radio guy" and his show is not focused on football.

Nevertheless, I agree that when he talks about the NFL, it pays to listen...
That's what I'm saying. No one thinks of him in that regard
Old 08-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #67
Jontrem
Impact Rookie

Sorry if I missed this being talked about earlier but what do people think of Dan Graziano? he seems to go out of his way to be fair to all the NFC east team and I am really enjoying his insights into the East.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #68
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
I can take Cowherd or leave him. If I am driving in the car and his show is on the radio I will listen; that is the extent of my listening.

However, if as a radio host he decides to do a segment on the "worst teams in the NFL for the upcoming year", he almost has to identify THE one that he thinks will be THE worst. So, by definition, he will have to single out one team for that label.

Now I happen to think that the Bengals are going to be that team in 2011, but that does not make me someone who hates Cincinnati or Mike Brown or Marvin Lewis or fill in the blank here.

The fact that he thinks the Skins will be the worst team in the league does not mean that he hates Washington, Danny Boy, Mike Shanahan or the US Congress. Oh wait, he might hate the Congress and that would not be so far off base...
But the problem is -- he wasn't doing a segment on the worst teams in the NFL. He started off his "segment" on the radio, by saying he feels optimistic about the nfl and the teams in general, but even with that feeling, he feels that the redskins will be one of the worst teams, if not THE worst team in the NFL. End of segment.

He wasn't directly answering anyone's question or doing a planned "segment" of the radio program, and he wasn't just volunteeringly expressing his opinion. He was trying to make a bold point, probably because he received some trusted, respected nfl insider or analyst's information about the redskins. And he wanted to make himself look supersmart later, by saying it way before anyone else. But the problem is -- that it doesn't look like the redskins will be close to being the worst team in the nfl.

But trust me, later he'll say something like "folks, what I meant was the redskins situation and the way they were being run put them in the category of being the worst team in the nfl... are you kidding me, I wouldn't actually mean that... I'm no nostra-damn-us".

He contradicts himself and backtracks all the time. That's why you can't put stock in what he says, but the problem is-- he is very convincing in how and what he says. I don't trust him to buy anything from him, but if I had some swampland to sell - he'd be the guy to sell it for me.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #69
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontrem View Post
Sorry if I missed this being talked about earlier but what do people think of Dan Graziano? he seems to go out of his way to be fair to all the NFC east team and I am really enjoying his insights into the East.
The NFC East blog guy?

He's pretty good, but I didn't mind Matt Mosley either, even though he was accused of being a Cowboys homer.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #70
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
But the problem is -- he wasn't doing a segment on the worst teams in the NFL. He started off his "segment" on the radio, by saying he feels optimistic about the nfl and the teams in general, but even with that feeling, he feels that the redskins will be one of the worst teams, if not THE worst team in the NFL. End of segment.

He wasn't directly answering anyone's question or doing a planned "segment" of the radio program, and he wasn't just volunteeringly expressing his opinion. He was trying to make a bold point, probably because he received some trusted, respected nfl insider or analyst's information about the redskins. And he wanted to make himself look supersmart later, by saying it way before anyone else. But the problem is -- that it doesn't look like the redskins will be close to being the worst team in the nfl.
But trust me, later he'll say something like "folks, what I meant was the redskins situation and the way they were being run put them in the category of being the worst team in the nfl... are you kidding me, I wouldn't actually mean that... I'm no nostra-damn-us".

He contradicts himself and backtracks all the time. That's why you can't put stock in what he says, but the problem is-- he is very convincing in how and what he says. I don't trust him to buy anything from him, but if I had some swampland to sell - he'd be the guy to sell it for me.
That's your opinion, and he gave his. He believes they'll be the worse team in the NFL because other teams in our division have gotten better and we also have to face teams like the Jets and Patriots.

It's not what I think, and clearly not what you think...but you're taking his opinion way too personally.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #71
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The NFC East blog guy?

He's pretty good, but I didn't mind Matt Mosley either, even though he was accused of being a Cowboys homer.
Graziano's been a solid addition.

And you know who Matt Mosley's favorite NFL team is? Yeah, Hail to the Redskins.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #72
Jontrem
Impact Rookie

Yeah and he was accused by redskins fans of being a cowboys homer and cowboy fans as being a redskins homer! I do think DG brings a little more to the table than MM though, but that could just be my personal taste.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #73
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Graziano's been a solid addition.

And you know who Matt Mosley's favorite NFL team is? Yeah, Hail to the Redskins.
So Matt Mosley is a freakin Skins fan? Wow i swear you read the NFC East Blog and the thing you always take away is Matt Mosley and Tony Romo were boyfriends.

He Gets Us
Old 08-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #74
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think he respects Romo, but that doesn't mean he's not a Redskins fan. I'm telling you there are many high ranking people and reporters here (and other places that are Redskins fans). And there are also Cowboys fans in the DC sports media. But professionals don't let their allegiances influence their work...though I know many think otherwise
Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #75
warriorzpath

Quote:
That's your opinion, and he gave his. He believes they'll be the worse team in the NFL because other teams in our division have gotten better and we also have to face teams like the Jets and Patriots.

It's not what I think, and clearly not what you think...but you're taking his opinion way too personally.
Maybe I am, but given his national presence he has influence over a lot of people. I hate hype, but I think perception affects the performance of the team. That's why I think that grossmans declaration of winning NFC east was a good move because it got other people to think the opposite of cowherd's opinion. You cant deny that what grossman said had an affect (especially before the steelers game) because they put it on sportscenter and they were saying he was an idiot. It was a brilliant move that not only benefitted him but instilled some confidence in the team.
Closed Thread