Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Training Camp 2018

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who is your eye on in Training Camp (can select multiple)
Alex Smith 15 39.47%
Darrius Guice 23 60.53%
Jordan Reed 10 26.32%
Da'Ron Payne 10 26.32%
Other 5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #211
MTK
\m/

Re: Training Camp 2018

Need to Know: Special teams will be critical in determining roster battles

Advertisements
Old 08-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #212
Schneed10
A Dude

I think Doctson winds up being a guy that makes occasional clutch catches and is huge in the red zone. I don't ever seeing him being a perennial 1000+ yard guy. We spread the ball around a lot.

Our passing game could look something like:

Reed: 950 yards
Crowder: 900 yards
Richardson: 850 yards
Doctson: 750 yards
Thompson: 500 yards
All Others: 400
Total: 4350

That's a quite likely scenario. If injuries happen and Reed can't play enough to get to 950 then it's Crowder and Vernon that get the extra, I think.

Point is, it's hard to see Doctson getting heavily featured in this offense like an AJ Green. Smith loves going to tight ends and he's obviously building a rapport with Crowder. And if Guice is what we think he is, we'll pound the rock more and 4350 passing yards is probably the absolute ceiling.

I won't measure Doc based on his catches or yardage. I'll measure him based on red zone performance - he should get us 8+ TDs with those hops - and the number of clutch/spectacular catches he makes in critical situations.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #213
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I think we will have to rely on others Reed has only sniffed 950 yards once in his career and that was way back in 2015. His stats have been on the downward and the longer you go without doing something in this league the harder it is to get back to it. I think he will be better than last year but I would be happy if he gave us his 2016 stat line 66 receptions, 680+ yards and 6 tds. Anything else to me would be gravy.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #214
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think Doctson winds up being a guy that makes occasional clutch catches and is huge in the red zone. I don't ever seeing him being a perennial 1000+ yard guy. We spread the ball around a lot.

Our passing game could look something like:

Reed: 950 yards
Crowder: 900 yards
Richardson: 850 yards
Doctson: 750 yards
Thompson: 500 yards
All Others: 400
Total: 4350

That's a quite likely scenario. If injuries happen and Reed can't play enough to get to 950 then it's Crowder and Vernon that get the extra, I think.

Point is, it's hard to see Doctson getting heavily featured in this offense like an AJ Green. Smith loves going to tight ends and he's obviously building a rapport with Crowder. And if Guice is what we think he is, we'll pound the rock more and 4350 passing yards is probably the absolute ceiling.

I won't measure Doc based on his catches or yardage. I'll measure him based on red zone performance - he should get us 8+ TDs with those hops - and the number of clutch/spectacular catches he makes in critical situations.

I hope they can run in the red zone and not rely on fade passes.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #215
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Crowder will be the only WR to top 1000 Yards imo. TE's and Backs will get a ton of catches too.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #216
MTK
\m/

I don't think we'll have a 1000 yard receiver and it's not a big deal. Like Schneed layed out above I agree we'll spread it around quite a bit. I can see our leading guy hit 800-900. Reed or Crowder probably. I can see Doctson being the main TD/big play guy.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #217
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I care much more about a RB reaching 1000 yards than a receiver. More balanced offenses spread it around in the air...and that's my wish. Plus...WR position has become role based in scheme and that's what I see with us. Im glad the role of WR disappointment Ryan Grant is off the team...I hope Doc doesn't replace that role.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #218
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

You get a 1000 yards, and you get a 1000 yards, and you get a 1000 yards. Everyone gets a 1000 yards. Mmmmm koolaid.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #219
MTK
\m/

Smith is going to hand out 1000 yards like candy
Old 08-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #220
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I care much more about a RB reaching 1000 yards than a receiver. More balanced offenses spread it around in the air...and that's my wish. Plus...WR position has become role based in scheme and that's what I see with us. Im glad the role of WR disappointment Ryan Grant is off the team...I hope Doc doesn't replace that role.
This is exactly correct. Balance is the key and has been our problem.
We have to get defense guessing and respect the run.
Get the LB's and Safety's running the wrong way and easily throw over them. This will also give our QB more time to throw.
Until that happens our offense will remain predictable and easy to stop.
We have major holes in our run blocking and still do. We did nothing to plug the Left Guard and Center positions with outstanding talent. We put an old band-aid that no longer sticks.
Running the ball and stopping the run are prerequisites to making the playoffs.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #221
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
This is exactly correct. Balance is the key and has been our problem.
We have to get defense guessing and respect the run.
Get the LB's and Safety's running the wrong way and easily throw over them. This will also give our QB more time to throw.
Until that happens our offense will remain predictable and easy to stop.
We have major holes in our run blocking and still do. We did nothing to plug the Left Guard and Center positions with outstanding talent. We put an old band-aid that no longer sticks.
Running the ball and stopping the run are prerequisites to making the playoffs.
We think the same way about winning football.

A false narrative is "oh its a passing league"...I think the more accurate statement is the rules have changed to making passing easier (PI rules, absurd contact rules, helmet to helmet, etc.) but if you want to control the game and win, you run the ball.

I think the Center position could surprise you...Im hoping it surprises. Simply no excuses for the LG, but that's water under the bridge.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #222
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:

A false narrative is "oh its a passing league"...I think the more accurate statement is the rules have changed to making passing easier (PI rules, absurd contact rules, helmet to helmet, etc.) but if you want to control the game and win, you run the ball.

I think the Center position could surprise you...Im hoping it surprises. Simply no excuses for the LG, but that's water under the bridge.
The better teams are able to run the ball.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #223
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
The better teams are able to run the ball.
But people get lost in the passing yards...its fantasy football impact of how we look at and interpret stats. Running the ball consistently is winning football.

Last edited by Chico23231; 08-03-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #224
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:

Agreed, I have high hopes on Roullier, his rookie campaign was solid.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #225
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
But people get lost in the passing yards...its fantasy football impact of how we look at and interrupt stats. Running the ball consistently is winning football.
I agree.
People forget that football is still a very physically violent sport and when you can knock the snot out of your opponent, they are less likely to want to come back for more.
But the biggest old school lesson people forget is when playoff time comes it is late December or January. Cold weather, snow, cold rain, heavy winds can lead to less passing and more running. And the teams that can run and stop the run will have an advantage.
I realize some pussy teams have dome stadiums, but many conference finals go through places like Green Bay, Denver, New England, Philly, Pittsburgh, New York, Chicago and DC that still play outdoors. It is usually cold as fuck. Even places like North Carolina and southern teams on occasion get cold weather during that time.
Your team has to adapt to the potential bad elements.
I want our team to go back to smash mouth football. I do not want to be a finesse passing team. Especially because we are deficient at one aspect of football. Balance is key,
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote