Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #46
Warthog
The Starter

Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Correction: last 3 years

I understand that Kyle has had an impact in the last three years but I just wonder how much they listened to him in the upper round drafting of ‘17 and ‘18. Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen were making the personnel decisions in those two years. That’s why we took Haskins over the coaches and scout advice two years ago.

I suspect that that Dan and Bruce listened to Kyle Smith in the lower rounds, and his success there meant that every year he has had more say in the draft, UFA and FA. I just hope Rivera gives him the GM job this offseason, because otherwise he will go to another team for more money and a GM office, where he will build a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #47
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I understand that Kyle has had an impact in the last three years but I just wonder how much they listened to him in the upper round drafting of ‘17 and ‘18. Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen were making the personnel decisions in those two years. That’s why we took Haskins over the coaches and scout advice two years ago.

I suspect that that Dan and Bruce listened to Kyle Smith in the lower rounds, and his success there meant that every year he has had more say in the draft, UFA and FA. I just hope Rivera gives him the GM job this offseason, because otherwise he will go to another team for more money and a GM office, where he will build a winner.

According to Keim he has been the architect and has had the trust of others. More than half the team are his picks, he might be as good of better than Beathard. Can’t lose him.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #48
MTK
\m/

Sorry but it’s hard to take Russell seriously on anything

Old 12-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #49
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
When has a journo NOT taken a simple comment and turned it into something?
Not just any journo, Chris Russell. He's not exactly high on my list of media with credibility.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:47 PM   #50
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

No, but he brings up a good point - the fact that Ron brought in Stokes. That doesn't mean that Kyle won't be retained or promoted to GM, but NFL guys tend to surround themselves with other NFL guys they are comfortable with, and guys they know they can work with. It's going to boil down to working relationships and philosophies. I can't say it's a sure thing Kyle is coming back; and I can't say that it would be the wrong decision if he doesn't either. From what I think I know, I'd rather see Kyle back, but we'll see...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:39 AM   #51
Warthog
The Starter

What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
According to Keim he has been the architect and has had the trust of others. More than half the team are his picks, he might be as good of better than Beathard. Can’t lose him.

Agreed. Kyle Smith has personally taken a very mediocre drafting program for the WFT and made it very good. Up until 2018, Snyder, using his mouth pieces Allen and Cerrato to have a very strong influence on all personnel decisions. It has taken 20 years of many, many bad personnel decisions (because of Snyder) , to bring in an NFL savvy talent evaluator like Smith.

In the beginning of his tenure as the owner, Snyder tried to use FA to build the team. Contrary to the rest of the NFL, the Redskins traded away draft picks like they were candy, mostly in exchange for old, past-their-prime players, who were looking for one last BIG payday. The “FA first” strategy was a massive failure. It has only been in the last 5 years that the team brought in a real GM, like McCloughan. Then he was ousted by Bruce Allen once Scot started to be successful.

Until Rivera came here, Snyder always could inject his opinion through his “yes man” GM (Allen and Cerrato). Snyder’s last override of Head Coaches opinion came with the Haskins draft pick. That’s why no head coach could win here over two decades - even when Gibbs and Shanahan came to Washington. That’s why Rivera wouldn’t even talk to Snyder about the HC job until he had TOTAL CONTROL on personnel decisions and also getting rid of Bruce Allen.

I think Rivera wanted to see how Kyle Smith did this year as a potential GM AND ALSO to make sure that Smith wasn’t the latest version of the Dan Snyder lackey that he’s had before.

BL - Kyle Smith needs to be awArded the GM position at the end of this season. He’s earned it, the team is getting better because of his picks and otherwise, he will go to another team where he can be the GM!!

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #52
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Good article. Danny get off your ass and make him a GM now!!

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...body-else-does

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #53
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Sorry but it’s hard to take Russell seriously on anything

I don't understand why anyone takes him seriously.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #54
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Good article. Danny get off your ass and make him a GM now!!

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...body-else-does
Really great job by jp...I think the most underrated part of team building is those draft picks 4-7 rounds, that’s where you really build the team recognizing quality players who provide good depth, contribute in packages, and who are coachable sponges who potentially can blossom into major contributors

Kyle needs to stay, i rather have him GM titled if that keeps him. I’m sold

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #55
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

From today's MMQB:

Washington is very pleased with the work of Ron Rivera, to the point where if the Football Team does hire a GM, and I think they probably will, I’m told that search would be led by Rivera. If it happens, I’d expect ex-Lions GM Martin Mayhew (who shares an agent with Rivera) to be in the running, as well as former Panthers personnel men Ryan Cowden (Tennessee’s VP of player personnel) and Joe Schoen (Buffalo’s assistant GM).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/14/mm...ns-chase-young

Albert Breer did today's MMQB, when someone with credibility speaks about it like this I really have to wonder if there's more truth to this idea that Kyle Smith is not on Rivera's radar for GM. And the idea that Mayhew would even be considered for GM is nauseating.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #56
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
From today's MMQB:

Washington is very pleased with the work of Ron Rivera, to the point where if the Football Team does hire a GM, and I think they probably will, I’m told that search would be led by Rivera. If it happens, I’d expect ex-Lions GM Martin Mayhew (who shares an agent with Rivera) to be in the running, as well as former Panthers personnel men Ryan Cowden (Tennessee’s VP of player personnel) and Joe Schoen (Buffalo’s assistant GM).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/14/mm...ns-chase-young

Albert Breer did today's MMQB, when someone with credibility speaks about it like this I really have to wonder if there's more truth to this idea that Kyle Smith is not on Rivera's radar for GM. And the idea that Mayhew would even be considered for GM is nauseating.
This is from the link I posted above, Rivera would have to be a
Retard not to see Kyle’s work.

After the draft in April, and after trading Trent Williams and Quinton Dunbar, Rivera said that making Smith the GM was actually team owner Dan Snyder's call.

"[Snyder] has the ultimate say in the organization if it comes down to things like this," Rivera said. "That's a little bit above me."

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #57
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

Watch Kyle leave...

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/12/15...-on-kyle-smith
skinsfanmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #58
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

I'm lost does Ron not want to give Kyle credit or something? That's what it feels like. Anyway imagine if Kyle leaves to build up another team, and Ron takes a step back. If Kyle becomes more successful with another team (McVay etc) wonder if Snyder will blame Rivera for not retaining Smith. Then firing him in year four or whatever if the WFT go backwards.
skinsfanmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:57 PM   #59
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I'm not sure I see any problem with that article with regard to Smith/Rivera. Sounds like Rivera is clearly giving Smith and the scouting department credit for finding good players, but that the Coaches also get a big say in whether or not the players will fit with the scheme, culture, etc. It's a team effort, and that is the way it should work. It's only been less than a year, and a crazy year at that, but I haven't seen anything suggesting that they don't work well together. I wouldn't get too excited about anything in that article.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #60
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanmdc View Post
That was your takeaway from this article?

I kinda agree with it, it sounds like Ron is saying this is a collaborative process that's bigger than just one man (which is how it should be).

Smith makes the list, Ron and his staff go over it and figure out who's the best fit and they work from there.

Only way I see Smith leaving is if he's beefing with Ron about who to go after. It could happen, sure, but we wouldn't know about it until Smith is out the door.

For now I choose to trust Ron and the path he leads us in.