Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Was Jamie Dukes out of line on Ryan Mallett?

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #61
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: Was Jamie Dukes out of line on Ryan Mallett?

Not a big Duke's fan b/c, as someone else said, he's just another talking head who, IMO, doesn't bring anything to the table. As to the particular comment, whatever, as others have said, poor word choice. Happens to all of us every now and then.

Also, not sure if anyone realizes this, Dukes was actually trying to compliment Mallet and say that, essentially, his personality is somewhat off-putting b/c he isn't a corporate whitewashed Disney QB. Dukes then implied, through very inept phrasing, that Mallet's personality meshed well with his teammates and would bring something different to the table.

Of course, Cosell was trying to compliment V. Seay when Cosell called him "that little monkey".

Advertisements
Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #62
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
^ I agree matty but why would dukes eve say that? Who cares if the guy has some black Friends and acts like them? It's 2011 this race crap should be over by now.

He even compared him to Eminem or Vanilla Ice? He knew what he was trying to say
It SHOULD be over, but will it ever be? Nope. Racism (both ways) is about as American as appie pie and the 4th of July.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #63
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

I wasn't offended by anything GMScud said because

A) He wasn't talking about me (or you for that matter)
B) He was giving an example of something that technically is true.
C) I don't know him.
And finally D) I don't care if he was racist.

BTW I am black also and I know what Al and Jesse mean to a lot of black people but they do have a reputation of always going to the extreme. (Even when not necessary.)

Old 04-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #64
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Does anyone mad about this comment watch the NFL Network, Dukes loves this guy and thinks he may be the best player available? All he was saying was that because he speaks using African American style slang that scouts may be under valuing him. Give the man a break.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #65
53Fan
Franchise Player

The government and people in general go to extremes one way or another to right wrongs. There comes a time when enough is enough. Things have reached that point in my opinion. There should be no double standards for anyones benefit. Let's move on. But remember to never let it happen again.....toward ANY race.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #66
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eknox View Post
Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton might not be important to you, but if I got my ass beat by the police or was discriminated against these are the guys I want in my corner. You need to check your history son I'm talking about the 50's and 60's when things you don't even understand were going on these guys don't mean much to you. But attacking them personally and they are Icons in the black community makes me sad for you my friend.
I think the Duke LaCrosse players would probably disagree with you. Your beloved Jesse Jackson supported a future murder over a bunch of college kids all over the color of their skin.

Duke lacrosse accuser charged with attempted murder - Durham County - NewsObserver.com

Fact is bro, if the police beat your ass and it's not in the national spotlight, he's not going to give your ass a second thought. I saw this HBO special where this guy from Cali was pursuing his family members death by officers. All he wanted was answers, and nobody would help this guy. He finally ended up going to Washington, DC and it there was this event going on where many black representatives were attending. He waited till Jesse and AL came out only to be basically stiff armed by the men because they weren't really interested. However, there was awesome black congresswoman that stopped and listened to the man's story and then gave him contact information to her office. I applauded that woman, and did more for that man than those frauds Jesse and AL did.

You might be right. Maybe those guys were instrumental during the 50's and 60's, but their agenda has clearly changed since that time.

I think too much is made on race all together. The more you talk about it, the more of a issue it becomes.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #67
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
The government and people in general go to extremes one way or another to right wrongs. There comes a time when enough is enough. Things have reached that point in my opinion. There should be no double standards for anyones benefit. Let's move on. But remember to never let it happen again.....toward ANY race.
Not gonna happen 53. It's just not.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #68
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Dukes statement was stupid but not racist.

One of the major issues with the racial dialogue in this country is that we can't have non emotional discussions about it. I'm going to hop aboard the broad strokes train but most white people don't like discussing issues of race because they either 1) feel that most claims of racism are invalid 2) don't have the experiences to speak about it from multiple perspectives or 3) wish the whole subject would go away so they wouldn't have to deal with it. Most black people get frustrated discussing issues of race because 1) the whole notion of 'the race card' is insulting and dismissive 2) experiencing something and acknowledging something are two different things and many times you can't identify with what you haven't experienced or 3) the specter of 'Jesse and Al' get tossed about as if we all have them on speed dial-again insulting and dismissive. Sadly, none of us will live long enough for race to be a non factor in our country. /end sermon

BTW, I think Jake Locker will make a fine WR/Wildcat QB for some NFL team. :-)

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Old 04-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #69
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
This is probably one of those "just don't say it" scenarios, because it won't end well. His intention probably wasn't how it came out.

Mallett has actually grown on me a little, still don't think he's the right for this team. And I know it's tough to get a true test of someone's character this time of year, but all the interviews I've seen, read, heard with him he's come off as much smarter and approachable than I had originally thought.
Of all the QBs in this draft I would only take Mallet in the first round. Agree 100% though that our system is a bad fit and the Skins should not take him.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #70
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Of all the QBs in this draft I would only take Mallet in the first round. Agree 100% though that our system is a bad fit and the Skins should not take him.

Whoever drafts him better have a damn good offensive line. I still can't believe he's as slow as he's been timed. Good gracious that guy moves like molasses on a cold winter day. It's really a shame when 300+ guys can run faster than a QB.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #71
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Whoever drafts him better have a damn good offensive line. I still can't believe he's as slow as he's been timed. Good gracious that guy moves like molasses on a cold winter day. It's really a shame when 300+ guys can run faster than a QB.
Although I do not advocate our drafting him, and yes he was outraced by a turtle, please note that neither Peyton Manning nor Tom Brady are speed demons and they seem to do ok. A quick read and quick release cure many ills.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 04-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #72
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
BTW, I think Jake Locker will make a fine WR/Wildcat QB for some NFL team. :-)
End thread on this, please!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #73
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I think Ryan Mallett is solidly a first rounder. But if you look back at the last ten years at all QBs who had negative rushing yards in college...they're tough to develop as pro passers. Either they excel right away, or they never really enjoy success because defenses tee off on them before they have a complete grasp of NFL offense. It's tough to win with a rookie, immobile quarterback because you cannot move the chains by any other means besides a rookie QB throwing the football.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #74
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Naw Pain Locker will be the next Aaron Rodgers
Old 04-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #75
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

There is a double standard with statements because of history. A certain race had been enslaved for a bit of time. Just because slavery is over doesn't mean all the reminants are gone. Hence why people get more upset over racist statements towards black people.