Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A Jabar Gaffney thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
GTripp0012
Living Legend

A Jabar Gaffney thread

Jabar Gaffney needs 81 receiving yards against the Eagles to finish with 1,000 yards receiving, while catching passes from John Beck and Rex Grossman.

1,000 yards for a rusher doesn't mean much anymore, but it's still pretty rare for a receiver to get 1,000 yards. Santana Moss has done it three times as a Redskin. Jabar Gaffney hasn't done it in his 10 year career.

He is under contract for next year. But if we're going to actually rely on him for the future, we should extend him now as opposed to waiting for next season and then trying to decide how valuable he is at the end of next year.

Interestingly enough, Fred Davis probably would have gone over 1,000 yards this year had he not been suspended and remained healthy. The Redskins could have (although it would have been unlikely) produced two 1,000 yard receivers this year.

Looking at film, I think our passing game is still pretty limited. It still relies on the opponent playing a lot of zone coverage to create passing lanes. You pretty much have to man cover the Redskins. When you do, you get games like the Jets game where Grossman looks terrible. But not every defense in the NFL is comfortable playing man coverage.

But two different guys approaching 1,000 yards this year is not insignificant, and suggests that the passing game may be improving. Maybe not improving by a lot, but the ability to beat up on teams that play zone is much improved over being unable to beat any team.

Advertisements
Old 12-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
diehard
The Starter

Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Gaffney will be starting alongside Hankerson next year.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
Gaffney will be starting alongside Hankerson next year.
This.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Jabar Gaffney needs 81 receiving yards against the Eagles to finish with 1,000 yards receiving, while catching passes from John Beck and Rex Grossman.

1,000 yards for a rusher doesn't mean much anymore, but it's still pretty rare for a receiver to get 1,000 yards. Santana Moss has done it three times as a Redskin. Jabar Gaffney hasn't done it in his 10 year career.

He is under contract for next year. But if we're going to actually rely on him for the future, we should extend him now as opposed to waiting for next season and then trying to decide how valuable he is at the end of next year.

Interestingly enough, Fred Davis probably would have gone over 1,000 yards this year had he not been suspended and remained healthy. The Redskins could have (although it would have been unlikely) produced two 1,000 yard receivers this year.

Looking at film, I think our passing game is still pretty limited. It still relies on the opponent playing a lot of zone coverage to create passing lanes. You pretty much have to man cover the Redskins. When you do, you get games like the Jets game where Grossman looks terrible. But not every defense in the NFL is comfortable playing man coverage.

But two different guys approaching 1,000 yards this year is not insignificant, and suggests that the passing game may be improving. Maybe not improving by a lot, but the ability to beat up on teams that play zone is much improved over being unable to beat any team.
Wouldn't you agree this is more of a talent issue than a scheme issue? For example, if we had better talent at the position routes like the deep crosses would be tougher to cover with man coverage. I'm actually looking forward to this scheme with a better cast of characters. Not taking anything away from Gaffney, he's had an excellent year-only noting that if he has 1,000 yards, Davis would have been close or eclipsed 1,000 yards and even with his poor ball security Grossman is close to achieving career yardage totals, the system ain't broke.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

Gaffney is solid, he just knows how to get open. We got a steal in that trade.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Wouldn't you agree this is more of a talent issue than a scheme issue? For example, if we had better talent at the position routes like the deep crosses would be tougher to cover with man coverage. I'm actually looking forward to this scheme with a better cast of characters. Not taking anything away from Gaffney, he's had an excellent year-only noting that if he has 1,000 yards, Davis would have been close or eclipsed 1,000 yards and even with his poor ball security Grossman is close to achieving career yardage totals, the system ain't broke.
Not being able to handle man coverage is a talent issue, not an issue with the Redskins being unable to call routes that beat man coverage.

The passing scheme is limited by the fact that it doesn't use the whole field sideline to sideline: it's a one-part of the field vertical attack off of play action. It's good because it attacks the safety level of the defense relatively often, and there aren't enough good safeties in this league to stop it. But we don't use the whole field and motion to create match-ups. The only matchups we take advantage of are gameplanned. There are no adjustments-on the fly in the passing game. It's the same thing every week, every drive. Which limits the kinds of looks we can give a defense.

The offensive staff made some awful personnel decisions in the running game, and so we pretty much did not have a running game for the first 9 or 10 games of the season. Now they've added a few wrinkles with end arounds, reverses, and even something as simple as using the toss play off of inside zone blocking to give the defense fits. We've done a good job of attacking defenses on the ground in the month of December, even though it couldn't have made less of a difference to the staff most of the season. That's the bizarre angle.

So more offensive wrinkles have made the Redskins more difficult to defend, which is a big plus. It's also dictating more zone coverage in early downs, when the Redskins like to throw. And in third down and manageable, our OL has improved and our WRs are finally getting open.

But I would say that we're still very limited in the passing game. Limited doesn't mean bad, it just means no margin for error. I don't think our passing scheme will ever go out and just systematically light people up, regardless of who we get at quarterback and who we get at receiver. I think we'll continue to have success attacking the safety level of the defense. And like I said before, the ways to adjust to the Redskins are to increase the supply of good cover safeties in the NFL, or to play a lot of man coverage.

Kyle has not proven that if the Redskins see a steady diet of press man coverage to throw off the timing of the Redskins passing game, that he is comfortable running the ball to win the game. But I think he's calling much more diverse games than he was even a month ago.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Jabar has been a great sign for sure, I just hope we get a true 1 next yr
Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Rod Gardner was the last number 2 wide receiver that we had that had over 1,000 yards in a season. I hope Gaffney reaches that milestone. Gaffney was a 2nd round selection of the Houston Texans back in 2002. During his career he hasn't really played up to his potential. He has some productive seasons. If he tops 1,000 yards this season, I will buy his jersey.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
vallin21
The Starter

Really surprised to hear he hasn't hit the 1,000 yrd mark at least once already in his 10 seasons; and even if he doesn't get to 1,000 yards, this would still be a great season for him, considering he was traded for almost nothing (Jarmon), how consistent he's been, and how inconsistent our QB play was this yr. If anything we at least know we have a decent #2 WR for '12.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Gaffney, Hankerson, Moss. I can live with that.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
Swarley
The Starter

Gaffney has been one of my favorite Redskins this season. Straight up steal on that trade.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
diehard
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Rod Gardner was the last number 2 wide receiver that we had that had over 1,000 yards in a season. I hope Gaffney reaches that milestone. Gaffney was a 2nd round selection of the Houston Texans back in 2002. During his career he hasn't really played up to his potential. He has some productive seasons. If he tops 1,000 yards this season, I will buy his jersey.
Buy plenty of them now, that way you'll be able to change the nameplates to read "GRIFFIN".
Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
12thMan
MVP

You can tell he's really staring to enjoy being a Redskin too.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Gaffney, Hankerson, Moss. I can live with that.
I cant. There is not a single #1 receiver on that list. Hopefully we'll sign one in free agency. Add a #1 receiver and i'm happy with the other three.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I think Gaffney is just a solid number 2 in the NFL. people forget that he was the 4th receiver for NE when they went 18-1, and he was a solid guy with Denver as their number 3. Well this is what he can do as a number 2.

Our WR's next year Could/Should be:

1. FA WR Marques Colston or DeSean Jackson
2. Gaffney
3. Moss
4. Hankerson
5. Paul
6. Austin