Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

UDFA Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
AnonEmouse
The Starter

UDFA Thread

First off, is it just my impression or do we always seem to make a slow start with UDFA? Not that we haven't picked up a few gems in recent years, it's just it seems other teams have made 3+ signings before we've even made one. Anyone know why that is?

Anyway, thoughts on Pattterson? He seems more of a situational runner for us, short/goal to go yardage, rather than an every down capable back. Unknown in the passing game, but good in protection blocking. Competition for Barber?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #2
Number44
Special Teams

Re: UDFA Thread

I'm not so sure that having the most guys that went undrafted signed to the team is necessarily a good thing. I suppose I'd much rather have the best UFA signing than the most UFA signings. Patterson looks like he could be a quality UFA signing. Reasonable chance to at least make the practice squad.

I have to admit, though, that I would have liked to see us come away from the draft/UFA signings with another LB or two. Love the Jamin pick, but that group still seems a bit thin to me.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
HTTR
Special Teams

Maybe we found our UFA’s in round 7, so to speak.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
Brummie Brave
Camp Scrub

Chargers already signed 10 I think
Brummie Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
EdmundDorf
The Starter

UDFAs also pick teams where they are more likely to make the roster, our roster seems quite full at the moment, even if it is with mid-level talent, there is a lot of depth already which will make it hard for them to catch on
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
EdmundDorf
The Starter

They did talk to the VT(?) DT Stills before the draft, not sure whether he has been picked up, but he may be a candidate
Old 05-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #7
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I wasn't talking about quantity, I was talking about timing. Some were signed hours after the draft, our 1 was signed almost a day later. I agree quantity shouldn't be a factor, and if you don't see quality to go after, OK don't sign bodies for the sake of it. It just seems every year we are a day or 2 behind on signings, that's all.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
Brummie Brave
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I wasn't talking about quantity, I was talking about timing. Some were signed hours after the draft, our 1 was signed almost a day later. I agree quantity shouldn't be a factor, and if you don't see quality to go after, OK don't sign bodies for the sake of it. It just seems every year we are a day or 2 behind on signings, that's all.
I getcha, quantity isn't necessarily a good thing. I was just making the point (probably badly) that you have got to be pretty quick off the mark in order to sign 10 within that timeframe.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #9
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Apparently the Browns had a guy signed before the last pick was announced, seems a little premature, maybe they should have a 24 hour wait period after the end of the draft before people can sign. Doesn't stop teams from talking to them, but I get the impression that some teams are very much "sign now or the deal is off of the table" forcing the UDFAs to make quick decisions
Old 05-02-2021, 11:02 AM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think I read Mayhew or Ron said they just signed one udfa and don’t have plans for more. I look at that as a great thing and think maybe more free veteran agents could be added. Not wasting time on long shots.

They signed a serious RB who could have been a 5-6 round pick. Legit talent.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
Brummie Brave
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I think I read Mayhew or Ron said they just signed one udfa and don’t have plans for more. I look at that as a great thing and think maybe more free veteran agents could be added. Not wasting time on long shots.

They signed a serious RB who could have been a 5-6 round pick. Legit talent.
I think that's a good thing too. I like that we are taking a measured approach to things rather than going scattergun. If you don't subscribe to Scalper's view that every move is made to try and undermine the franchise but appreciate that RR and the FO are moving us forward in the proper manner then I have every confidence. If they have decided we only need one guy and that guy is Jaret Patterson then I will bow to their superior knowledge.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:39 PM   #12
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31383682

Washington Football Team agrees with record-tying RB Jaret Patterson, former HS teammate of Chase Young

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:21 PM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
First off, is it just my impression or do we always seem to make a slow start with UDFA? Not that we haven't picked up a few gems in recent years, it's just it seems other teams have made 3+ signings before we've even made one. Anyone know why that is?

Anyway, thoughts on Pattterson? He seems more of a situational runner for us, short/goal to go yardage, rather than an every down capable back. Unknown in the passing game, but good in protection blocking. Competition for Barber?
Short / goal to go yardage? Dude have you read anything about the guy at all? He’s 5’7” 195. He’s the opposite of Barber, he’s a baby JD McKissic. He won’t see the field unless something happens to JD, he’ll be stashed on the practice squad unless he can carve out a role as a return guy.

There are no every down backs available as UDFAs. That’s a nonsense thought. You can only ever reasonably hope to find niche role players at RB in the UDFA phase.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:17 PM   #14
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Patterson has a chance to carve out a role for himself. Nothing wrong with his size - that is such an easy thing to critique, but I'd rather judge off production. Depending on where you look, he's basically the same size as JD McKissic or Philip Lindsay who have been pretty productive. As with all these guys, I'll take a wait and see approach. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm not automatically counting them out.

J Patterson - 5'9" 195 (although I've also seen 5'6.5", 5'7" and 5'8")

JD McKissic - 5'10" 194

P Lindsay - 5'8" 190

Last edited by Chief X_Phackter; 05-03-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #15
Schneed10
A Dude

Yeah he's definitely considerably shorter than McKissic.