Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Yet another trade scenario...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-26-2004, 08:51 AM   #1
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Yet another trade scenario...

Hopefully we're not getting tired of these threads, but since we've lost so many draft choices, I was thinking of a way we could replenish our picks. How about this one:

New England has two 1st round draft choices, and two 2nd round draft choices. New Orleans also has two 2nd round picks.

Assuming Sean Taylor is gone before we can pick at #5 in the first round, could we trade our #5 spot to New England for one of their 1st rounders and their 3rd round pick? Do the Patriots have a player in mind that they absolutely covet at our sequence in the 1st round?

Also, what about trading Rod Gardner for one of the Saints' 2nd round picks?

If I thought of this, then the Front Office has to have it floating around. It would be great if we could shore up a second and a third round pick since we've already lost both of them.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
BrunellFan
Special Teams

I seriously doubt that Sean Taylor will be gone by the 5th pick. The Chargers and Cards are going to take Manning and Roethisberger. The Raiders might bite, but I think Fitzgerald is the best fit for them, especially since they need replacements for Rice and Brown. Robert Gallery is too good a fit for New York to pass up, so I think we have our pick of defensive players.
BrunellFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

he'll be there at 5. the tough call is whether you pass up on a guy that some say is better than Williams in D (all-pro rookie and sophmore years) for more picks later on.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:50 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

I thinking the front office has to be seriously considering a trade down, considering they only have two picks currently.

That being said I don't think it's New England's style to trade up, but who knows?
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:52 PM   #5
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunellFan
I seriously doubt that Sean Taylor will be gone by the 5th pick. The Chargers and Cards are going to take Manning and Roethisberger. The Raiders might bite, but I think Fitzgerald is the best fit for them, especially since they need replacements for Rice and Brown. Robert Gallery is too good a fit for New York to pass up, so I think we have our pick of defensive players.
Well, I sure hope Sean Taylor is still there. In my mind, he is absolutely the best case scenario for the Skins if he's available, especially since we haven't had just a marginally decent safety since Danny Copeland, Brad Edwards and Alvin Walton. Ohalete and Bowen were dreadful last year, and they are not the answers at that position.

'Mike and Mike' on ESPN Radio were saying just this morning that Sean Taylor's stock is quickly rising and according to Mel Kiper, he's the best player in the draft, period. They were saying that the Giants would be stupid to pass him up for Robert Gallery even though they desperately need help at the O-line. I think the Cards and Chargers are more of a sure thing for the QBs. But you just never know what Al Davis will do with the draft. Still, you'd have to think that with Norv as the head coach, Turner will make a big push for either Fitzgerald or M. Williams, and Davis just might bite. Here's to hoping he does, and that the Giants are stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagonskins
he'll be there at 5. the tough call is whether you pass up on a guy that some say is better than Williams in D (all-pro rookie and sophmore years) for more picks later on.
I don't think it's a tough call at all. We cannot pass up on Sean Taylor, which is why I phrased the question of trading down with New England. Only if he's NOT there should we entertain offers for a trade down.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
Phinehas
Special Teams

The NFL is asking for a stay on the whole less-than-three-years-out-of-HS draft elgibility ruling though, so there's no guarantee that Mike Williams (or Maurice for that matter) will be available. Even if Williams isn't in the draft, however, I still think the Giants will take Gallery. Of course, there are rumors that the Giants may trade up for San Diego's #1 pick, which would tend to mix things up a bit. Maybe San Diego really likes Phillip Rivers and would be more willing to risk a pick not quite so high in the draft on him (and at a cheaper price than a first round pick) if they got an extra second-round pick to go with him.

There are lots of possibilities and plenty of things could still happen, but in all the scenarios and mock drafts I've seen so far, Sean Taylor is still available at #5. That said, even if we did draft him I'm not sure we'd have enough cap space left by then to get him signed. It's a tough call.

--Phin
Phinehas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
johnnyredskin63
Special Teams

Arrow say goodbye to samuels,not gardner.

lets get rid of samuels,he wo'nt restructure his deal and he's gonna cost us oodles on the salary cap.to me,he's like a bad case of the clap,and you can't get rid of that soon enough.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
always remember ladies and germs-THE COWBOYS SUCK
johnnyredskin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:56 PM   #8
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Heard a rumor that Oakland likes Gallerey, this could mean the G men take Taylor, but they have pretty decent talent at safety. I sure hope he's around, wouldn't suprise me if he's gone!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:40 PM   #9
skinsfan26
Camp Scrub

I would want skins to draft sean taylor as well, but I am not sure if he will be available for us. I think detroit have their eyes on him n they will trade will giants for the 4th overall. Giants will trade bc they know we won't pick OT gallery at 5th and they can get another pick by trading down 2 spots. If this happens I would trade down and get Defensive lineman.
skinsfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:05 PM   #10
shallyshal
Special Teams

trades

[QUOTE=Beemnseven]Hopefully we're not getting tired of these threads, but since we've lost so many draft choices, I was thinking of a way we could replenish our picks. How about this one:

New England has two 1st round draft choices, and two 2nd round draft choices. New Orleans also has two 2nd round picks.

Assuming Sean Taylor is gone before we can pick at #5 in the first round, could we trade our #5 spot to New England for one of their 1st rounders and their 3rd round pick? Do the Patriots have a player in mind that they absolutely covet at our sequence in the 1st round?

Also, what about trading Rod Gardner for one of the Saints' 2nd round picks?

If I thought of this, then the Fron

i think you are grossly undervalueing the worth of a number 5 overall pick. that should be worth BOTH new englands picks, plus perhaps their 3rd as well. they pick so low that in effect the skins would be getting a 1,2 and late 3 for the overall 5th pick. that might not be enough even.

as for gardner. he is worth no more than a 4th rounder unless some team has blown a fuse. think trung. he was once a first rounder and all he got was a 4th in trade. gardner is no peerless price in trade value.
shallyshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:52 PM   #11
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

I would bet my life that I could get a 2nd rounder for Gardner next season. This season would not be a good one to trade him in - the draft is sick at WR.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:58 PM   #12
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
I would bet my life that I could get a 2nd rounder for Gardner next season. This season would not be a good one to trade him in - the draft is sick at WR.
We'd be lucky to get a 2nd for just that reason. There are three stellar WR's in the draft (Williams, Fitzgerald, and Williams), and more than a few very good players. Why burn a 2nd rounder on a receiver in the last year of his rookie deal?
BrudLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:26 PM   #13
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Plus that kid from LSU will still be around in the second.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:49 PM   #14
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

Evidently Clayton (that LSU kid) isn't really impressing in the combine. He's clocking a lot slower then they thought and is a tad shorter. He'll be a Gardner rather than a Coles.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:50 AM   #15
CrazyLikeAFox87
Camp Scrub

Put me down for another vote for Taylor. If he's not there, a trade down for an extra pick would make sense.
CrazyLikeAFox87 is offline   Reply With Quote