Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

RI: Jeremy Bridges agrees to terms

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #61
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Re: RI: Jeremy Bridges agrees to terms

FRPLG:

The space-time continuum did not crack - - it didn't even experience an increase in its warp.

Signing Jeremy Bridges was a Low risk/High reward move. Those are good things. The Skins' FO doesn't do nearly enough of those kinds of things.

So, when they do, it is a good idea to praise them for such moves in the hopes that they might do more of them at some future time.

As Mr. Spock would say, "It's just logical, Captain."
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #62
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Oh, I understood exactly what he meant. I don't know if that's b/c of the depth or shallowness of his statement.

But, he is here... mission accomplished.
hahah
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #63
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
FRPLG:

The space-time continuum did not crack - - it didn't even experience an increase in its warp.

Signing Jeremy Bridges was a Low risk/High reward move. Those are good things. The Skins' FO doesn't do nearly enough of those kinds of things.

So, when they do, it is a good idea to praise them for such moves in the hopes that they might do more of them at some future time.

As Mr. Spock would say, "It's just logical, Captain."
SC is full of positivity lately. I like to see it.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #64
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
SC is full of positivity lately. I like to see it.
Yes. It's confusing to me. I... I... I feel as if the universe is somehow out of balance and it has me unsettled.

THE FO SUCKS!! SIGNING THIS HEADCASE AND M WILLIAMS REEKS OF DESPARATION AND LACK OF PLANNING! IF THEY HAD USED MORE THAN 5 OF THERE LAST 40 DRAFT PICKS ON LINEMEN, WE WOULDN'T NEED THIS HEADCASE!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I feel so much better.

In reality, good signing (risk/reward thing). The critique about the draft picks is legit though. Since 2003 we have drafted !!five!! Olineman out of 40 picks:

2003 Rnd 3(81) Derrick Dockery
2004 Rnd 5 (151) Mark Wilson
2004 Rnd 6(180) Jim Molinaro
2006 Rnd 7(230) Kili Lefotu
2008 Rnd 3(96) Chad Rinehart

In that same time we have drafted:
8 DB's
4 DLmen
8 LB's
3 RB's
4 QB's
3 TE's
4 WR's
Punter.

Just from a distribution point of view, drafting one OLman more than QB's seems to me to be wrong. Part fo this comes from trading picks but, in the time span covered, if we had traded no picks and gotten no compensatory picks, we would have only had 42 picks. Of the 34 picks made prior to this year, 19 are still with the team (9 from last year's 10 picks).

BPA is great, BUT sometimes you gotta plan ahead and ignoring the oline year in and year out requires us to find diamands in the rough or depend on guys like Fabini.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #65
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Joe Redskin:

Just to put your mind at ease, I do not think highly of the Mike Williams signing.

Like the Bridges' signing, the Williams signing is "low risk" - - other than the danger that he might mistake Albert Haynesworth's leg for a roast beef and eat half of it. However, the upside is limited due to the fact that he has been injured and out of football for a couple of years AND his weight ballooned to the point where he is now 60 lbs over the weight he used to play at.

Let's do some math. Training camp starts in 8 weeks. To get to playing weight, he has to lose 7.5 lbs a week - - without losing strength.

Since it is a low risk move to bring him in, there is no need to bash the FO for doing it. However, the chances that the Williams move turns out to be the key to the Skins making a run to the NFC Championship Game are vanishingly small.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #66
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Joe Redskin:

Just to put your mind at ease, I do not think highly of the Mike Williams signing.

Like the Bridges' signing, the Williams signing is "low risk" - - other than the danger that he might mistake Albert Haynesworth's leg for a roast beef and eat half of it. However, the upside is limited due to the fact that he has been injured and out of football for a couple of years AND his weight ballooned to the point where he is now 60 lbs over the weight he used to play at.

Let's do some math. Training camp starts in 8 weeks. To get to playing weight, he has to lose 7.5 lbs a week - - without losing strength.

Since it is a low risk move to bring him in, there is no need to bash the FO for doing it. However, the chances that the Williams move turns out to be the key to the Skins making a run to the NFC Championship Game are vanishingly small.
Yeah Williams can't by any stretch be expected to come into training camp in the perfect shape at this point. And be can't be relied on to be ready by Game 1. But if he can really start rounding(pun sorta intended) back into shape and shows good skill then he'd be nice depth. Providing he can also provide the versatility of a T/G. I don't think it is out of the realm of expectation that he could be in starting shape by week 4. Now staying healthy is a whole other issue of curse. Carrying that much weight increases his chance on injury. They really need to get him back down to sub-320. I guess he'll either progress as needed or he'll be gone.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #67
GMScud
Swearinger

I found Zorn's comments about the right tackle competition interesting. Specifically not mentioning Jansen at all:

"Well, it's still open, and we're still trying to work Mike Williams in, we've got Stephon Heyer working in there, [Jeremy] Bridges is gonna be working in there now ... we've got some candidates, but that position probably won't be solidified until we do work through training camp, we get these guys into games, and we find that chemistry and that combination."

Then, when asked about Jansen, Zorn focuses mainly on his work at center:

"Well, Jon's been great, because Jon's worked at right tackle, he's worked at guard, and he's helping us at center. And to be honest with you, he's doing a great job at center, communicating with the guards and getting people put in the right place. You know, center's a very communicative position, and he's doing a great job with that. The quarterbacks like him because his butt's so tall, they can just stand up and look at things. They don't have to squat down."
Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #68
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I found Zorn's comments about the right tackle competition interesting. Specifically not mentioning Jansen at all:

"Well, it's still open, and we're still trying to work Mike Williams in, we've got Stephon Heyer working in there, [Jeremy] Bridges is gonna be working in there now ... we've got some candidates, but that position probably won't be solidified until we do work through training camp, we get these guys into games, and we find that chemistry and that combination."

Then, when asked about Jansen, Zorn focuses mainly on his work at center:

"Well, Jon's been great, because Jon's worked at right tackle, he's worked at guard, and he's helping us at center. And to be honest with you, he's doing a great job at center, communicating with the guards and getting people put in the right place. You know, center's a very communicative position, and he's doing a great job with that. The quarterbacks like him because his butt's so tall, they can just stand up and look at things. They don't have to squat down."
I noticed the same thing. It's telling.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #69
Warren85Ellard
Special Teams

Anybody else catch the Mike Williams interview that was just on Redskins Nation? It's hard not to root for this guy.....If he can do what Dmitri Young did in his comeback with the Nationals a couple of seasons ago......I"m just saying...
Warren85Ellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #70
vallin21
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren85Ellard View Post
Anybody else catch the Mike Williams interview that was just on Redskins Nation? It's hard not to root for this guy.....If he can do what Dmitri Young did in his comeback with the Nationals a couple of seasons ago......I"m just saying...
That's a good point, especiallly if he's motivated and can shed 30lbs.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #71
GridIron26
Playmaker

I'm not sure yet but I think I like the idea of Jansen playing at center.. Jansen is slightly bigger than Rabach, and he played at RT - handled all kinds of DEs and blitzers.. It should help his blocking with interior and NTs..

And beside, just like Zorn said, Campbell doesn't have to squat when he's under center..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #72
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I'm not sure yet but I think I like the idea of Jansen playing at center.. Jansen is slightly bigger than Rabach, and he played at RT - handled all kinds of DEs and blitzers.. It should help his blocking with interior and NTs..

And beside, just like Zorn said, Campbell doesn't have to squat when he's under center..
I agree. Jansen appears to have lost some mobility, which will be less of a factor at center.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #73
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

since you guys hate new threads I'll bump this month old one

Bridges had the pending charges against him dropped

Redskins Insider - Rogers Ailing; Charges against Bridges Dropped
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #74
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
since you guys hate new threads I'll bump this month old one

Bridges had the pending charges against him dropped

Redskins Insider - Rogers Ailing; Charges against Bridges Dropped
Good to hear this, I hope Bridges stays out of trouble.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #75
vallin21
The Starter

I wouldn't be surprised if he beat out Heyer and won the starting RT job, but he has to stay out of trouble especially in a big market area like DC.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote