Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How Long Will Jay Gruden Last This Season as Head Coach?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-04-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
Warthog
The Starter

How Long Will Jay Gruden Last This Season as Head Coach?

I think we’re going to see how good the different facets of the Redskins are this season. Some areas will surprise, such as the very underrated Wide Receiver group. Some NFL talking heads think that the Redskins got rid of their best WR when they dropped Doctson last week. Even though our new, Talented, fast, motivated and young WR are going to do well, but unfortunately even the very best NFL wide receivers struggle some as rookies. This season we have real rookies like McLaurin and Harmon and others like Quinn who are effectively rookies because they hardly played last year due to injuries. So our WR will do far better than expected, but are a year away from their best football.

Our left side OL is very shaky. This will hurt the passing game and even Guice’s return. Case Keenum has been inconsistent as a QB, to say the least. Our defense looks good on paper but may take awhile to help. The lowest predictions for the Redskins are 3-13. I just read a Redskins site saying we’ll be 5-11. I personally think we will be 7-9. Unfortunately the Redskin’s schedule is front loaded with some really tough teams.

The question is how will Jay Gruden fare if the team’s record is 1-5 or 2-4 after the first six games? Will Dan Snyder pull the plug mid-season or let Gruden finish the season in order to let him play our first round draft pick and “coach him up” ?

I think that regardless of the team’s record, as long as Haskins is brought in by mid-season, Jay will be kept on as the HC for the rest of the season. Same with Bruce Allen - Snyder will keep both Gruden and Allen on until the end of the season.

What do you think about Jay’s chances this season? Will he be fired sometime in the season? Gruden is probably in the hottest Head Coach seat in the NFL. But is Snyder more worried about Haskin’s development versus Gruden’s future this season? What do you have to say about Jay??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"

Last edited by Warthog; 09-05-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-04-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: How Long Will Jay Gruden Last This Season as Head Coach?

He'll last the season.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

All season long cause they are going to win starting in Philadelphia.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

After he hoists the Lombardi trophy over his head from winning SB 54 he will walk off the field knowing he lasted.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:32 AM   #5
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
He'll last the season.

I agree. He may even get another season if Snyder thinks he’s helping Haskins become a better QB. Jay is very good at working with his QB.

I just read an article which was a summary of all the major articles predicting the Redskin’s 2019 season (SI, USA Today, CBS Sports, etc). The predictions range from 3-13 to a high of 7-9. This means the NFL isn’t expecting much from this team this season, which frankly, is where you want to be starting a season. Teams will come to play the Redskins over-confident and looking past this game.

Flyboy.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:06 AM   #6
calia
Playmaker

Haskins will play this weekend because Keenum may get killed. But that’s on Bruce, not Jay. I see lots of young talent but the O line is a problem without Trent. And this game is won and lost in the trenches. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Jay canned of the start 1-4. Which sadly is realistic.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
Warthog
The Starter

Gruden’s best route forward is to hitch his wagon to Haskin. If he brings in Haskins as the starter, after we get beat badly in most of the first 6 games, that will keep the fans excited. I have no interest in seeing Case Keenum show why he has been on 6 different teams in 6 years.

I rather see Haskins show occasional flashes of brilliance and making rookie blunders than watch Case prove that he is a NFL journeyman backup.

Flyboy.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
Meks
Pro Bowl

8-10 gms
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

he'll last the year because the team will stay fairly competitive but after a playoff-less season he will be fired.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
he'll last the year because the team will stay fairly competitive but after a playoff-less season he will be fired.
Ditto
Old 09-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
+1

This isn't the year 2000, if Zorny can make it through a year so can Gruden.

I forget who said it in another thread but I also agree it would be better if the team were realistic about their goals this year. You have a stopgap qb playing until the rookie is ready, it doesn't matter who's under center the playoffs are unrealistic.

Playoffs are best case scenario assuming all the young unproven talent puts it together and produces. We should know by now that is rarely the case. Let's just try to build a winning team again.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #12
Warthog
The Starter

The Redskins have drafted well over the last two years. They’ve also been lucky with walk on undrafted players or very low draft picks who didn’t just make the team but may even become stars in the years ahead. Trey Quinn (7th), Robert Davis(6th) and Stephen Sims (UFA) will surprise the NFL this year because of their low start. But it takes more than one year for WR to reach their potential. This team will need to play these rookies to get them to the next level for next year. That includes the top ranked draftees like Haskins, Sweat and McLaurin.

I don’t care how we do this year as long as we coach up the new guys - because next year they’ll be ready to play well and win.

Flyboy.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:05 AM   #13
Warthog
The Starter

If the Redskins stay on target for a 6-10 or another 7-9 season, why would Snyder keep Gruden all season? I think the team will select a new HC from within, either the DC or the Offensive Coordinator, Kevin O’Connell. So if the team is posting another losing season why not bring in the new HC during the middle of a rebuilding year?

Gruden’s best chance of staying all the way through another losing season is if he starts playing Haskins early and it looks like Gruden is helping him develop as a QB.

The team started this year with a youth movement. There are only a few starting players who have more than 5 years in the team. Rookies are showing up in key starting positions, and as the season progresses I think we’ll see even more rookies brought in to start games. The youth movement may include bringing in a new younger HC like Kevin O’Connell. What do you think?

Flyboy.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #14
Warthog
The Starter

The Redskins pulled TE Holtz off the PS so he can be available against the Eagles and released WR Robert Davis. I guess Gruden figures that no one will pick up Davis until Reed starts playing again while going through the NFL Concussion Process.

My question is this: why risk losing Davis , who had a TD catch this PS and a Smoking Hot preseason and TC? Why not put Gruden favorite, Colt McCoy out there instead of Davis?. Colt is hurt and no one will want him. Davis could be a key ST and WR player this season and someone may take a chance on him due to his young age and potential!

This is really a questionable move by Gruden, especially if we lose Davis!

Flyboy.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #15
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
He'll last the season.
Definitely