Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Post Dumpster Fire...er Skins vs. Saints Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Biggest goat from the Saints debacle?
Coaches 29 76.32%
Alex Smith 3 7.89%
Offensive line 2 5.26%
Secondary 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #151
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Post Dumpster Fire...er Skins vs. Saints Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Yep, that was unacceptable. Do your job! That's how teams win. No way that play was designed for him to do that.
On that same Twitter thread, Craig Hoffman is looking at the hold penalties and found that:

a.) Norman's first penalty on third down was a terrible call, M. Thomas fell to the ground on a legal hit by Norman, but the refs called it anyway.

b.) Dunbar's hold penalty on the goal line, was the same where M. Thomas grabbed him by the facemask.

Not that I'm making excuses, but the officiating was pretty shitty in the first half, when the Redskins were somewhat in this game.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #152
Randall Nestor
Special Teams

We may want to start thinking about players we are not planning on resigning or are on the back end of their careers and still have good trade value and trade them to teams in need and bring in hungry guys with the draft picks. (example- Norman to a team in desperate need of a CB)
Randall Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #153
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

This should get you cut,not the highest paid corner in the league!

For the season, Norman has been targeted 16 times in four games, allowing 12 receptions, 17.9 yards per catch, three touchdowns, zero interceptions and a 156.3 passer rating.

Norman needs to stfu and play a hell of a lot better
Old 10-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #154
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Yep, that was unacceptable. Do your job! That's how teams win. No way that play was designed for him to do that.
Are you questioning Gruden's play calling?
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #155
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Are you questioning Gruden's play calling?
I'm pretty confident on that one, but in general, i definitely question his playcalling. My main issues with him are above that tho. The team just looks flat out unprepared way too often. We had a bye week and still looked like a pile of dogshit stacked on another pile of dogshit.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #156
WillH
The Starter

Ok. I honestly feel as pessimistic as everyone else, but I've been thinking about some contributing factors to this absolute embarrassment of a game. Not that coaching, execution, discipline, and effort and quite possibly talent aren't emphatically the biggest factors at hand, but there are other factors that are worth considering perhaps.

First, most obviously, it was Brees' night. Everyone in that stadium knew that.

Yes the Redskins knew that, and if you're a team with a good culture that should not have had a significant impact. I honestly can't tell if it did, but I can't imagine it not especially how things played out.

I'm not saying this was a home job. Even if I can point to several calls that seemed questionable, I could say that about any game really. That said, some of the calls suggested to me that their focus on what type of penalties they were looking for may at least have been subconsciously swayed.

The fans knew it; that crowd was a factor from the beginning. They weren't just loud, but they were emotional. This team, that city, and Brees have a special relationship.

The Saints knew it. They were all playing as one for a significant moment that meant more than just a record. In a league where there is not a significant gap in talent, special moments can tip the scales.

Brees knew it. This man is one of the few greatest QBs of his generation and somewhere on the list all time. He was not just playing for the record. He was playing for his team and his city. When a player like Brees is inspired their level of play is elevated beyond their typical excellence. It didn't matter who he was playing, this was going to be a big night for him.

I'm not excusing anyone, the team fell apart, Alex looked terrible, and Jay is on thin ice, but this was a much more difficult task than I really appreciated going into the game. It is possible that this is a really bad growing pain game exacerbated by a collision course with circumstance. Right now it feels like the wheels are coming off. This team needs to get themselves right real quick. Jonathan Allen is encouraging. The next couple weeks will tell us, but Jay Grudens job will depend on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #157
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Leader in Yards per reception?

Adrian Peterson 19.4 YPC.

That is a big fucking problem
Old 10-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #158
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Ok. I honestly feel as pessimistic as everyone else, but I've been thinking about some contributing factors to this absolute embarrassment of a game. Not that coaching, execution, discipline, and effort and quite possibly talent aren't emphatically the biggest factors at hand, but there are other factors that are worth considering perhaps.

First, most obviously, it was Brees' night. Everyone in that stadium knew that.

Yes the Redskins knew that, and if you're a team with a good culture that should not have had a significant impact. I honestly can't tell if it did, but I can't imagine it not especially how things played out.

I'm not saying this was a home job. Even if I can point to several calls that seemed questionable, I could say that about any game really. That said, some of the calls suggested to me that their focus on what type of penalties they were looking for may at least have been subconsciously swayed.

The fans knew it; that crowd was a factor from the beginning. They weren't just loud, but they were emotional. This team, that city, and Brees have a special relationship.

The Saints knew it. They were all playing as one for a significant moment that meant more than just a record. In a league where there is not a significant gap in talent, special moments can tip the scales.

Brees knew it. This man is one of the few greatest QBs of his generation and somewhere on the list all time. He was not just playing for the record. He was playing for his team and his city. When a player like Brees is inspired their level of play is elevated beyond their typical excellence. It didn't matter who he was playing, this was going to be a big night for him.

I'm not excusing anyone, the team fell apart, Alex looked terrible, and Jay is on thin ice, but this was a much more difficult task than I really appreciated going into the game. It is possible that this is a really bad growing pain game exacerbated by a collision course with circumstance. Right now it feels like the wheels are coming off. This team needs to get themselves right real quick. Jonathan Allen is encouraging. The next couple weeks will tell us, but Jay Grudens job will depend on it.

Aka they ran into a buzz saw
Old 10-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #159
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Easy to blame the coaches in blowout losses but i never expected to see so many blown coverages by the DBs and the horrendous under-thrown/overthrown balls by Smith.

No amount of coaching could have made up for the player mistakes on the top 5 most important plays/mistakes.

Last edited by BigSKINBauer; 10-09-2018 at 08:43 PM.
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #160
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Aka they ran into a buzz saw
Succinctly put. I could use some work on that.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #161
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Leader in Yards per reception?

Adrian Peterson 19.4 YPC.

That is a big fucking problem

That is unbelievable. Disgusting and unbelievable.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #162
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
All this fuss over a QB who went 26-30-1 here.

As usual after a loss too much focus on the QB in general.

Granted Smith did not play well at all, but the breakdowns on D and with the OL were more of a concern to me.
I still think if they made a legit first offer that said "we value you" we could be looking at a different scenario here. But then again, they knew him firsthand so obviously they didn't think he was worth top dollar.

Either way, he reps the Vikings now so I don't give a shit.

Somebody needs to ball tap Jay Gruden and tell him for being a qb whisperer he really hasn't worked his magic on Alex Smith yet. All that "we need to put Smith in better positions to make plays" talk tells me they were really unprepared for last week. How do you make the 30th ranked pass defense look good?
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #163
MTK
\m/

Post Dumpster Fire...er Skins vs. Saints Thread

It took Cousins a while to get going in this offense when he became the starter. The “you like that” game was week 7 in 2015, so these things can take some time.

Plenty of big play chances were there for Smith, he just wasn’t seeing things quickly enough.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #164
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

That int was absolutely terrible too. As bad as any you-know-who threw.

Also moot point but this coaching staff doesn't have the years (and Smith doesn't either) it will take him to truly get comfortable here.

I expect Smith to be a bridge to our next long term qb. Can we afford to wait another year or two for Smith to settle in? No. If this will be a season of growing pains for Smith next year will be too because he will have a new coaching staff to learn from.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #165
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
That is unbelievable. Disgusting and unbelievable.
Saw the passing tape from last night, Alex was as bad as we saw on TV. The pass to peterson that almost killed his knees, he had 4 secs to throw or run and he checked it down. On the INT, he moved away from pressure and made a play you would expect a rookie to make, that INT was as bad as Kirk's infamous kneel down.

He has to be better going forward or we won't win many more games.