2009 Redskins Roster - Cap Burdens

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: 2009 Redskins Roster - Cap Burdens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
We were indeed under the cap during the 2008 season (as we had to be). The salaries and bonuses paid to players in 2008 were what counted against the 2008 cap. The cap was $116 million.

In 2009 the cap has indeed gone up, we're estimating to about $123 million at this point. But it's the 2009 salaries and bonuses that count now, the 2008 numbers are history. Salaries and bonuses are higher in 2009 than they were in 2008, putting us about $3 million over the cap right now.

Never fear, this is a normal course of business for the Redskins and many other NFL teams. They will have no problem getting well under the cap for 2009.
Got it.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
redskinjim
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Randle El is seriously overpaid for a borderline #2/#3 receiver. The mistakes of the disastrous 2006 offseason are still coming home to roost. ARE might have more value if we utilized him as a "Wildcat" QB several plays per game. If the young receivers drafted last year don't step up, we are in big, big trouble offensively.
offense is going to suck until a big time playmaker steps up.while watching santana moss drop a sure touchdown in the game against the 49ers i thought why do we have to stick with the present wr core. anybody could drop that damn pass
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #18
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

We definitely need some assistance from those rookies...

I think it's pretty unanimous that we need more help at line on both sides of the ball then anywhere else at this time. Addressing this position via draft might make the most sense, but that is too much to ask for in one draft to have impact next season. We'll need cap space for some FA's on the line, as much as that sucks.

I think we stay status quo at DE, and use first pick at DT.

WR we probably have to stay put at, especially given the way the cap looks, which to me isn't the end of the world. Banking on the rookies to step up seems like a necessary strategy.

Our o-line is probably where we need the most help, especially on the right side. Taking the hit to get rid of Jansen makes sense to me... I don't ever want to see him take the field again, and if that means making a sacrifice then so be it (Just curious, would cutting Jansen, "waterfall" into another hit in 2010?). Sucks, but I really think he's done.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #19
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Redskin View Post
Rodger's cap number looks very doable for a trade.
Why do so many people want to shove Rogers out the door? He can't catch...I am as frustrated about that as the next guy but he played pretty well otherwise especially considering he came off a knee injury. I see Rogers and Hall as a very good set of CB's to build around long term. I would cut Springs and use that cap money towards a long term deal for Hall. Springs can still play but he only plays 8 games a year and we just can't count on him anymore.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub

Last edited by celts32; 01-05-2009 at 02:55 PM.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #20
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
Why do so many people want to shove Rodgers out the door? He can't catch...I am as frustraded about that as the next guy but he played pretty well otherwise especially considering he came off a knee injury. I see Rodgers and Hall as a very good set of CB's to build around long term. I would cut Springs and use that cap money towards a long term deal for Hall. Springs can still play but he only plays 8 games a year and we just can't count on him anymore.
I agree with you about Rogers... Think he's a good fit here, and I def. want to keep him around.

I would prefer to sign D-Hall to a short term deal. He got INT's, but he was out of position a lot. If he does well next year, give him an extension. I don't feel as if he earned a long term deal in the short time he was here.

All signs point that he wants to stay here (He's from Chesapeake, VA), so why not give him the opportunity to earn his keep. Chris Cooley and Portis are the kinds of players that have earned long term deals... hopefully Hall will follow suit.

As too cutting Springs, yeah... I can def see that happening. We can't use him as safety IMO (not very good in run support). Ask him to take a pay cut to reduce his impact on the salary (if that's even possible), if he won't... just let him go try and earn a big deal somewhere else. It won't happen.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #21
redskins5044
Playmaker

Quote:
Why do so many people want to shove Rodgers out the door? He can't catch...I am as frustraded about that as the next guy but he played pretty well otherwise especially considering he came off a knee injury. I see Rodgers and Hall as a very good set of CB's to build around long term. I would cut Springs and use that cap money towards a long term deal for Hall. Springs can still play but he only plays 8 games a year and we just can't count on him anymore.

his name is Carlos Rogers, not Rodgers
redskins5044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #22
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
My judgment is the Redskins will extend Springs in a manner allowing him to return this season at a much lower cap figure. However if we do that, I'll be very curious to see how Vinny manages the downside risk of potential cap hits in 2010 and beyond for a graybeard corner (assuming there still is a cap).
I'd guess they'll extend him maybe 2-3 years and hope they can transition him to safety sooner rather than later. Possibly 2010. With a "normal" rate of declination he'd probably still be a very good cover safety at that point in his career. He'd give us some real flexibility in nickle packages. It's the main reason I'd keep Rogers. As bad as his hands are he is still very solid in coverage, that is hard to come by. If we dump him then in two years we'll wish we still had someone with his cover skills.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #23
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Why do so many people want to shove Rodgers out the door?
it has nothing to do with Rogers ability and everything to do with Vinnys desire to accumulate draft picks to make up for the fact that he wasted a 2nd rounder on the bum that is Jason Taylor. Its a PR move, plain and simple. Vinny has one more year to prove his worth or Danny is going to fire him AND zorn. I fully expect us to be very active in FA and in doing trades this offseason. Vinny needs as much "ammunition" as possible.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if we use our 2010 1st rounder in a trade to get a 2009 2nd rounder either. Vinny will probably spin it as saying "theres so much talent" in the 2009 draft that a 2nd rounder this year will be the same as a 1st rounder next year... the same type of BS he used in an attempt to convince us that Devin Thomas, Fred Davis, and Malcom Kelly all had "first round grades."
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #24
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
it has nothing to do with Rogers ability and everything to do with Vinnys desire to accumulate draft picks to make up for the fact that he wasted a 2nd rounder on the bum that is Jason Taylor. Its a PR move, plain and simple.
Well I don't see the PR boost in trading away one of your few young players that produce. Trading a young starting quality CB for a 2nd or 3rd round pick is assinine. CR gets a bad rap from skins fans because he can't catch, but overall he is a good player at one of the harder positions in the league to fill. Trading CR will be another entry in the long list of reasons to fire Vinny...

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #25
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
it has nothing to do with Rogers ability and everything to do with Vinnys desire to accumulate draft picks to make up for the fact that he wasted a 2nd rounder on the bum that is Jason Taylor. Its a PR move, plain and simple. Vinny has one more year to prove his worth or Danny is going to fire him AND zorn. I fully expect us to be very active in FA and in doing trades this offseason. Vinny needs as much "ammunition" as possible.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if we use our 2010 1st rounder in a trade to get a 2009 2nd rounder either. Vinny will probably spin it as saying "theres so much talent" in the 2009 draft that a 2nd rounder this year will be the same as a 1st rounder next year... the same type of BS he used in an attempt to convince us that Devin Thomas, Fred Davis, and Malcom Kelly all had "first round grades."
Vinny's real title should be Master of Spin.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #26
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
I agree with you about Rogers... Think he's a good fit here, and I def. want to keep him around.

I would prefer to sign D-Hall to a short term deal. He got INT's, but he was out of position a lot. If he does well next year, give him an extension. I don't feel as if he earned a long term deal in the short time he was here.

All signs point that he wants to stay here (He's from Chesapeake, VA), so why not give him the opportunity to earn his keep. Chris Cooley and Portis are the kinds of players that have earned long term deals... hopefully Hall will follow suit.

As too cutting Springs, yeah... I can def see that happening. We can't use him as safety IMO (not very good in run support). Ask him to take a pay cut to reduce his impact on the salary (if that's even possible), if he won't... just let him go try and earn a big deal somewhere else. It won't happen.
I have a feeling that if Springs were to leave that he would entertain going to dallas because of his family ties to that area.

dallas looks like they could use a stop gap CB too in the next year. I'd have to puke if I saw Springs in a cowboy jersey.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #27
FRPLG
MVP

I continue to shake my head at the Vinny bashing. It isn't enough for most people to bash him for just not being very good. They have to take it to the next level and bash him for basically knowing he ins't any good and doing everything he csn to hide it. Oh except to change the way he does things in a better way. He wouldn't ever do that according to these people. Instead he'd just settle for his suckitude and just try and spin it away. How people work the minds around this convoluted logic baffles me. I had to stop and think about how to actually put it into words because it it so confusing.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #28
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Well I don't see the PR boost in trading away one of your few young players that produce. Trading a young starting quality CB for a 2nd or 3rd round pick is assinine. CR gets a bad rap from skins fans because he can't catch, but overall he is a good player at one of the harder positions in the league to fill. Trading CR will be another entry in the long list of reasons to fire Vinny...
thats because youre smart... and beleive it or not, most fans arent. The redskins PR machine will "spin" it that 1) Rogers wanted out and said he wouldnt resign here and he was becoming a "lockerroom cancer"; 2) Springs is in the best shape of his career and expects to start every game in 2009; 3) We have more pressing needs at corner; 4) Justin Tryon/Byron Westbrook/Materral Richardson is poised to have a breakout year...

Theres any of a million different reasons they could spin the reason for trading rogers.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #29
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
I have a feeling that if Springs were to leave that he would entertain going to dallas because of his family ties to that area.

dallas looks like they could use a stop gap CB too in the next year. I'd have to puke if I saw Springs in a cowboy jersey.
I imagine he would suddenly stop having mysterious illnesses and injuries for the cowboys too. Springs is one of those guys that just wants his money. He's got no heart. If he wasnt such a waste of cap space, i would want to keep him here, just to spite him.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #30
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I imagine he would suddenly stop having mysterious illnesses and injuries for the cowboys too. Springs is one of those guys that just wants his money. He's got no heart. If he wasnt such a waste of cap space, i would want to keep him here, just to spite him.
Who says he has no heart? Because he didn't play as much this year as we all (himself included) would have like he suddenly has no heart?