Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins 2011 Salary Cap Status

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #16
skinster
Impact Rookie

Re: Redskins 2011 Salary Cap Status

Heres what I dont understand. It seems that no team can have more than 12 million dollars in dead cap this year. That just doesnt seem to make sense on so many levels.
For starters, the redskins seem to already have more than 12 million dollars in dead cap this year due to portis and carter being cut. It also seems that we want to get rid of significantly more players.
Also it doesnt make sense from the owners perspective to agree to. Players with signing bonuses large enough will be impossible to cut untill a certain year in their contract. I don't think the owners would agree to not being able to cut any of their larger contract players that don't pan out.
I'm not saying there is no dead cap, I'm just saying I think having a 12 million dollar dead cap doesn't seem to make sense on so many levels and I think there is more information out there that has not been presented to us (if dead cap still exists).

Advertisements
Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #17
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
Heres what I dont understand. It seems that no team can have more than 12 million dollars in dead cap this year. That just doesnt seem to make sense on so many levels.
For starters, the redskins seem to already have more than 12 million dollars in dead cap this year due to portis and carter being cut. It also seems that we want to get rid of significantly more players.
Also it doesnt make sense from the owners perspective to agree to. Players with signing bonuses large enough will be impossible to cut untill a certain year in their contract. I don't think the owners would agree to not being able to cut any of their larger contract players that don't pan out.
I'm not saying there is no dead cap, I'm just saying I think having a 12 million dollar dead cap doesn't seem to make sense on so many levels and I think there is more information out there that has not been presented to us (if dead cap still exists).
Teams can have more than $12 million in dead cap.

I see where you got the $12 million, but it's a faulty assumption. Cash Paid + Dead Cap does not equal salary cap.

Salary Cap = Base Salary + Roster Bonus + Workout Bonus + Dead Cap + Likely To Be Earned Incentives + Allocated Portions of Guaranteed Bonuses Paid to Players Still On Roster
Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
Schneed10
A Dude

Found this little nugget which basically means the real salary cap is $123 million, once you account for this little "exemption". From John Clayton:

Quote:
The salary cap is going to be at $120 million with a $3 million exemption. Here is how the exemption works: A team such as the Cowboys, who are $18 million over the cap, can designate one player this season and discount $3 million of his salary from the salary cap.

In 2012, teams will have three exemptions worth $1.5 million on three players.

In the meantime, teams are scrambling to find what the new rules are for the 2011 cap. It should be fun.
NFL -- Salary cap scramble will be interesting - ESPN
Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #19
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Teams can have more than $12 million in dead cap.

I see where you got the $12 million, but it's a faulty assumption. Cash Paid + Dead Cap does not equal salary cap.

Salary Cap = Base Salary + Roster Bonus + Workout Bonus + Dead Cap + Likely To Be Earned Incentives + Allocated Portions of Guaranteed Bonuses Paid to Players Still On Roster
I wasn't talking about the cap, I was talking about the floor being so close to the cap. I thought I read somewhere that the floor was to be salary paid out to active players on the roster that year, but after doing some more research I couldnt find that anywhere. Must have confused an article I read.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #20
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
I wasn't talking about the cap, I was talking about the floor being so close to the cap. I thought I read somewhere that the floor was to be salary paid out to active players on the roster that year, but after doing some more research I couldnt find that anywhere. Must have confused an article I read.
There is a floor, it will be salaries + cash bonuses (signing or otherwise).

But just because the floor is close to the cap doesn't mean deadcap is limited to the difference. Signing bonuses don't all hit the cap in the current year, they are allocated to future seasons.

It's entirely possible to pay out $140 million in cash in a given year, and at the same tiem have a cap number less than $120 million.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #21
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:

But just because the floor is close to the cap doesn't mean deadcap is limited to the difference. Signing bonuses don't all hit the cap in the current year, they are allocated to future seasons.

It's entirely possible to pay out $140 million in cash in a given year, and at the same tiem have a cap number less than $120 million.
Ok, thats what was confusing me. I thought that if we got above 12 million in dead cap we wouldnt be able reach the cap floor. Thats the way that it seemed to read to me when I was looking at different articles.

But im assuming owners want to be between the cap floor and max cap every season and not being paying the max plus extra millions in dead cap salaries.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #22
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Ok, thats what was confusing me. I thought that if we got above 12 million in dead cap we wouldnt be able reach the cap floor. Thats the way that it seemed to read to me when I was looking at different articles.

But im assuming owners want to be between the cap floor and max cap every season and not being paying the max plus extra millions in dead cap salaries.
True. That would be the most effective use of your funds. Of course to make it happen your players have to meet up to the standards called for by their contracts.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Some good info here from Andrew Brandt on the cap, starts at around the 3:10 mark. One thing I think we've only mentioned here once, if at all, that's often forgotten is the cash minimum must be met by the end of the year not before.

Andrew Brandt, NFL - ESPN
Old 07-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #24
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Per John Clayton today:

Washington $10.6 million under

Im gonna stop trying to figure out the salary cap because it just doesnt make sense. Our payroll is only 75 million or so and we need to spend at least 108 million but yet we are only 10.6 under in cap room. No sense what so ever.

If its dead cap why doesnt he just say that? Clayton doesnt write like thats what he is talking about.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #25
MTK
\m/

Best to just leave the cap stuff to the experts.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #26
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Per John Clayton today:

Washington $10.6 million under

Im gonna stop trying to figure out the salary cap because it just doesnt make sense. Our payroll is only 75 million or so and we need to spend at least 108 million but yet we are only 10.6 under in cap room. No sense what so ever.

If its dead cap why doesnt he just say that? Clayton doesnt write like thats what he is talking about.
His numbers and my numbers (Halsell's numbers) don't agree, but that's likely because of the way that the McNabb deal is being included in the accounting values. The fact that it's pretty much a done deal that he won't be here in Week 1 makes the $20 million under cap figure the most accurate to date.

Either way, the deadcap is a substantial portion of our finances this year, and a big reason that we'll almost certainly be near the cap in 2011 despite spending a ton of money, and then we'll probably have a lot more money to spend in 2012.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #27
Schneed10
A Dude

Tripp, do you have a link to your source showing that we're at a cap number of $93 million now?

EDIT: Nevermind I see it now.

The link to Tandler, (who is apparently quoting Halsell), indicates that the Redskins current cap number is currently $93 million INCLUSIVE of Haynesworth and McNabb. That means Tandler/Halsell think we have $27 million in space even before jettisoning Haynesworth and McNabb.

Clayton however thinks we are $10 million under, and he surely isn't considering Haynesworth and McNabb gone at this point, so it's not those two bums that explain the big difference.

The only thing I can think of is Clayton is working from Haynesworth's unadjusted contract. But somehow somebody is very wrong, either Tandler/Halsell or Clayton are way off on their numbers.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #28
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:

Ok, so I'd like some things clarified. When you say cash bonuses apply to the salary floor, does that include the cash bonuses left of players cut that get paid out? I think examples might help clarify. Like how will Andre Carter, Clinton Portis, Donovan Mcnabb, Albert Haynesworth being cut affect the salary floor and the salary cap respectively.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #29
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is Clayton is working from Haynesworth's unadjusted contract. But somehow somebody is very wrong, either Tandler/Halsell or Clayton are way off on their numbers.

Yeah thats what I kept saying to myself because I read a couple Clayton articles and they do not match up at all with the Redskins.com links I have been reading.

We have A LOT of money to sign people. The fans deserve one good free agency period. I don't care about quantity of players I just want quality. Whether its 2 superstars or 8 role players I just hope that our off season is effective. We should be able to patch quite a few holes.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #30
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I really don't care how much we have or spend, just so long as what we DO spend - we spend on quality guys who will be more than a two year band-aid.