Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2014 salary cap....and the money we have

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #61
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: 2014 salary cap....and the money we have

I know it gets posted frequently, but short of CrazyCanuck's salary cap sheets which you can find on this forum, Overthecap.com shows every team's cap situation for the next 4 years. It lists out every player's cap number, the deadcap/savings if you were to cut them, and basically gives you most every number crunch that you would wonder about. It's an excellent site for cap curious individuals.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #62
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanOttawa View Post
Thanks D.O, it looks like I am not able to post attachments on here (says so on my "posting rules" at the bottom left of my page).
My #1 priority is to get new cap sheets up this weekend. I will also add a "cap savings" column to make it easier.

SFO - Wait until we get the new sheets up here, then we can all compare notes and make any applicable changes.

Also stay in Ontario where it's safe... Quebec is a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I know it gets posted frequently, but short of CrazyCanuck's salary cap sheets which you can find on this forum, Overthecap.com shows every team's cap situation for the next 4 years. It's an excellent site for cap curious individuals.
Yes it's a great site, haven't confirmed accuracy of numbers but it all looks good. In past years this site would have saved me hours and hours of work. Gotta get that time machine already.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #63
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Warpath cap sheets have been updated for 2014. They should be online in the near future.

I have us with about $17M of cap room right now. Voiding the contracts of Fletcher, Merriweather, and Morgan (as mentioned in the article below) saves $13M. This brings our current cap room to about $30M.

Agent's Take: Raiders top list of teams with best 2014 cap situation - CBSSports.com

"8. Washington Redskins
Salary cap room: $28,055,889
Adjusted salary cap: $127,893,111

The Redskins will gain $14.5 million in cap room when the remaining years of four contracts (London Fletcher, Brandon Meriweather, Josh Morgan, Brian Orakpo) void a few days after the Super Bowl. The lack of 2013 and '14 first-round draft picks because of the Robert Griffin III trade increases the likelihood the Redskins will be aggressive in free agency.

The most important player headed to free agency is Orakpo. The two-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker has 10 sacks in his return from tearing his left pectoral muscle last season for a second time. Since Orakpo views himself as an elite pass rusher, it will probably require a long-term deal in excess of $10 million per year with over $30 million in guarantees to retain him. Using the franchise tag, which will be right around $11 million for linebackers, is also an option.

Revamping the secondary should be the top priority for the Redskins. The play of the safeties has been a long-standing issue for the Redskins. Jairus Byrd could be a possibility if the Buffalo Bills don't use a franchise tag on him for a second straight year.

The Redskins could also renew their pursuit of cornerback Aqib Talib, assuming he isn't designated as a franchise player by the New England Patriots. Talib was targeted in free agency this year but Washington's cap penalties were an obstacle in signing him. He could be looking for a contract between the Jason McCourty (slightly more than $8.6 million per year, $17 million in guarantees) and Brandon Carr/Cortland Finnegan neighborhoods ($10 million average per year, $26.5 million-$27 million in guarantees) provided he can regain the form he displayed early in the season before injuring his hip."
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #64
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
The most important player headed to free agency is Orakpo. The two-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker has 10 sacks in his return from tearing his left pectoral muscle last season for a second time. Since Orakpo views himself as an elite pass rusher, it will probably require a long-term deal in excess of $10 million per year with over $30 million in guarantees to retain him. Using the franchise tag, which will be right around $11 million for linebackers, is also an option.
Assuming these numbers are right, I like comparing salaries here: LINK

Looking at the link above and at the highest paid OLB LINK....

I really want to keep our own talent, but I don't think Rak is worth more than $10mil a year.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #65
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
Assuming these numbers are right, I like comparing salaries here: LINK

Looking at the link above and at the highest paid OLB LINK....

I really want to keep our own talent, but I don't think Rak is worth more than $10mil a year.
I think Orakpo is a fit in every scheme, but the good news I think is that the 4-3 teams are going to have a hard time pushing themselves past 8 or 8.5 million a year for a sam linebacker. Jacksonville or Seattle are the obvious exceptions. If Oakland loses Lamarr Houston, they're in as well.

The 3-4 teams would obviously be willing to go to 10 or 11 for Orakpo, but I'm not sure how many established 3-4 teams are short a pass rusher. Cleveland has cap space, but they just invested in Mingo and Kruger last year. The Bears are a threat once they release Peppers. The Colts aren't going to part with Mathis, so they're not in on it. Ditto Suggs and the Ravens. Woodley and the Steelers. The Packers and Matthews. The Jets are a real threat though. As are the Patriots, but they can be priced out at $10 million.

I think those are the biggest threats for Orakpo: Seattle, Jacksonville, Chicago, and the Jets. We should be able to make best offer. But it might go to $11 million.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #66
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I think Orakpo is a fit in every scheme, but the good news I think is that the 4-3 teams are going to have a hard time pushing themselves past 8 or 8.5 million a year for a sam linebacker. Jacksonville or Seattle are the obvious exceptions. If Oakland loses Lamarr Houston, they're in as well.

The 3-4 teams would obviously be willing to go to 10 or 11 for Orakpo, but I'm not sure how many established 3-4 teams are short a pass rusher. Cleveland has cap space, but they just invested in Mingo and Kruger last year. The Bears are a threat once they release Peppers. The Colts aren't going to part with Mathis, so they're not in on it. Ditto Suggs and the Ravens. Woodley and the Steelers. The Packers and Matthews. The Jets are a real threat though. As are the Patriots, but they can be priced out at $10 million.

I think those are the biggest threats for Orakpo: Seattle, Jacksonville, Chicago, and the Jets. We should be able to make best offer. But it might go to $11 million.
Rak in Seattle is a scary thought. He would probably realize his potential there.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #67
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Don't know how Seattle keeps getting great talent on the cheap.

Harvin/Rice/etc.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #68
donofriose
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post

Harvin/Rice/etc.
Because Pete and their GM actually know what they are doing. Hopefully the Skins play copycat.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #69
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:

Harvin/Rice/etc.
Harvin is cheap? The trade for Harvin involved a 1st, a 3rd, and a 7th. His contract is $11 mil. a year.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #70
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Harvin is cheap? The trade for Harvin involved a 1st, a 3rd, and a 7th. His contract is $11 mil. a year.
Sure, if you look at a proven commodity for a) awesome WR and b) awesome KR/PR.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #71
redskins5044
Playmaker

Quote:
sure for a guy who didnt play a whole lot this year and is injury prone...yep thats a good deal. lol..
Old 01-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #72
GTripp0012
Living Legend

And Orakpo wouldn't be cheap for them. But he might take a little bit less to go there. That Leo position is perfect for his skill set.

Jacksonville too, but I don't know Orakpo well enough if he'd go to Jacksonville on the idea that they have a brighter future than the Redskins. That'd be a pretty aggressive stretch based only off this season.

Chicago though, man, he'd really be the centerpiece of a defense that needs more pieces.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #73
SkinsFanOttawa
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
SFO - Wait until we get the new sheets up here, then we can all compare notes and make any applicable changes.

Also stay in Ontario where it's safe... Quebec is a disaster.
Hey CrazyCanuck, I will stay in Ontario thanks for the heads up man I love going over to Montreal though once in a while (what a city). I don't think I'll stop that practice. Where are you at in Quebec?

Ok cool, thanks for the salary cap update. I would like to compare notes for sure. Let me know and I can get you the spreadsheet I have. Right now even with Meriweather still on the books (but not Fletcher or Morgan or any other FA) I have us at just under $33mill of cap space. I'd like to know where I'm off.

This includes the $1.4mill of carryforward and the escalators that came out last week for Polumbus and Helu. Also I have us at only $155K of dead money contracts. Also just calculating the top 51.
SkinsFanOttawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #74
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
He is awesome talent but I don't think anyone can call him an awesome WR.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #75
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

Harvin/Rice/etc.
Well Harvin wasn't cheap; both he and rice have significant health issues (both missed significant amount of time). But when you have an elite defense and running game, you can take a gamble injury prone WRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Because Pete and their GM actually know what they are doing. Hopefully the Skins play copycat.
I don't know if I want our team to gamble on injury prone WRs...again.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote