Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Portis to NE, for 2 1rd picks

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-01-2004, 07:38 PM   #31
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

I don't have any inside info, but I strongly suspect we'll shop the #5 pick for a mid first rounder and a second rounder. We'd probably take Udeze, Smith, Starks, or Wilfork with the 1st pick.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2004, 07:40 PM   #32
Scott
Special Teams

Do you think this makes sense? I understand the need for more picks, but how can we justify passing up Taylor with the 5th pick if it is still there? Especially if we get Kearse in the FA market and possibly even Sapp.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:42 PM   #33
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
I don't have any inside info, but I strongly suspect we'll shop the #5 pick for a mid first rounder and a second rounder. We'd probably take Udeze, Smith, Starks, or Wilfork with the 1st pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Do you think this makes sense? I understand the need for more picks, but how can we justify passing up Taylor with the 5th pick if it is still there? Especially if we get Kearse in the FA market and possibly even Sapp.
I think Ramseyfan could be on to something there, but only if Sean Taylor is already gone. After all, the main problem with the team last year was defense, and the main problem with the defense was the front four.

Our defensive line needs a complete overhaul. This means 2 defensive ends and 2 defensive tackles who are not currently on our roster. In my mind, only Renaldo Wynn, and Lional Dalton should stick around, and then only in backup roles. Who knows what the prognosis is of Brandon Noble. If he's still able to walk, then he deserves a chance.

As I understand it, there's no defensive lineman worth a #5 pick. Only if Taylor has already been selected should we deal the pick.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:04 PM   #34
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I thought Holsley was alot better than Dalton, just wondering what makes you pick him over Holsley?
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:07 PM   #35
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

I don't know how you guys in DC, or the east coast can handle all the rumors and stay sane. We don't get crap out here. All I know is what I read on here and that's enough to make my head spin. Another post on this site says Portis has already agreed to a contract with the Skins. We're just waiting on Champ now I guess. Please stop mentioning Sapp. We don't need that lard ass here for the money he'd require.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:10 PM   #36
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

There isn't a DT, DE worth the #5 pick. The only guys I'd take would be Manning, Roethlisberger, Mike Williams, Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Sean Taylor, and Robert Gallery. The QBs will be gone and we don't need a WR or OT, so Taylor is probably the only guy I'd take at #5.

BUT, we do need DTs and DEs and FA Dlinemen are expensive as hell, Lional Dalton is gone because he cost too much, the available pass rushing DEs are injury prone (Abraham and Kearse), and there are a number of DTs/DEs worth a mid first rounder.

We DEFINATELY need some home-grown talent on the dline. Also, we probably need a second rounder (given all the great WRs I think a lot of good players will fall into the 2nd round).

I wouldn't care if we took Taylor or if we traded down for Udeze, Smith, Wilfork, Starks, or Harris and a 2nd rounder. It's a toss up.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:17 PM   #37
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
I thought Holsley was alot better than Dalton, just wondering what makes you pick him over Holsley?
Maybe I'm thinking of Holsey. I really don't know. I tried to evaluate who the best DT we had last year, or what DT duo was the most productive.

Needless to say, that was a very difficult evaluation to make judging how our line performed last season.

We know that Darrell Russell won't be back. And I seem to remember popular opinion turning against Martin Chase. Then there's Jermaine Haley -- we lost a draft pick for him.

I think that's all of the DTs who played any extended period of time. The more I think of it, I can't come up with any reason or any play that stood out from any of those guys to warrant a return to the team next year.

Either way, the D-line needs an overhaul. And hopefully it won't include Warren Sapp.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:19 PM   #38
Jamaican'Skin
The Starter

Question

I always learned that a great pass defense is a pass rush. Now I am not saying that we should not get Sean Taylor, because I believe that he will be an immediate impact player, but for right now, I think that we should focus more on our D- Line. If the QB can't pass the ball, how can the reciever make the big catch?
Jamaican'Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:46 PM   #39
Portis
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican'Skin
I always learned that a great pass defense is a pass rush. Now I am not saying that we should not get Sean Taylor, because I believe that he will be an immediate impact player, but for right now, I think that we should focus more on our D- Line. If the QB can't pass the ball, how can the reciever make the big catch?
Yea but Sean Tayor is being compared to Ronnie Lott, how can we pass on him.
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:55 PM   #40
MTK
\m/

If we can address our d-line needs through free agency then I would definitely take Taylor at #5, he would be the icing on the cake.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:36 AM   #41
Ghost
Special Teams

I read somewhere that the Skins really like center Jake Grove and will trade down to get him plus extra picks. I don't remember the source but it seems to make sense in light of the fact that they've pissed away most of their draft picks once again. I really hope this is the last time they do this but if I recall correctly, Gibbs and Beathard often traded away their #1s for veteran talent so it could continue in the future (sure makes draft day anticlimatic). Still, you really need those later picks to flesh out your team with cheap young talent.

Dalton was cut last week along with Bruce Smith and others.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote