Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Is paying Jason Taylor $8.5M the best use of salary cap dollars?

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Is paying Jason Taylor $8.5M the best use of salary cap dollars?

Basically, we're renting JT for one more season at $8.5M. If we don't go deep into the playoffs this season with JT as a key contributor, then that $8.5M will have been wasted.

On the other hand, if that same cap room were to be used on a couple of good young players at positions of need we may still get to the playoffs and we'll be building on our foundation for the future. We may even be able to trade JT for a draft pick. Tampa Bay, with about a zillion dollars in cap room, comes to mind as a possible trading partner.

For one thing, we need a solid RT. I don't know what the plan is to fix that position but if the plan is to hand it to a rookie, then it's a bad one because that's just too risky. Maybe the plan is to rent a Tra Thomas or Marc Colombo for a year. That would probably work. But wouldn't it be a better idea to sign Ray Willis who is an up and coming RT and is only 27 years old?

Also, with the cap room we save we should be able to bring back Demetric Evans, 29, who is a solid player at DE. What's wrong with giving Evans a nice raise and a promise that he will be the starter? He's earned it and he'll do a good job.

We may even be able to pick a FA SLB to help us out.

If we were to do all of these things, then we would have the freedom to draft the best available player, regardless of position, with each and every one of our draft picks. That should strengthen our team even more.

So here are the choices as I see them:

Jason Taylor

or

Ray Willis,
Demetric Evans,
Journeyman LB, and
Draft Pick

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 03-02-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Advertisements
Old 03-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
TheBloodSkin
Camp Scrub

Re: Is paying Jason Taylor $8.5M the best use of salary cap dollars?

Looking at the situationn as it is, it has become clear to me that there was an agreement made when JT was signed that if JT commits for two seasons he would earn all the money left on his contrat. This has to be why The FO would not use that money in some other way. Either way, it is cleared off the books next season.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodSkin View Post
Looking at the situationn as it is, it has become clear to me that there was an agreement made when JT was signed that if JT commits for two seasons he would earn all the money left on his contrat. This has to be why The FO would not use that money in some other way. Either way, it is cleared off the books next season.
Exactly. It's been debated about whether he's worth it or not, for some he never will be because he had a terrible '08 and cost us a draft pick while others are willing to see it play out with the '09 defense. His number is off the books in '10 so cap or not we will have that money free rather than tied up in other players.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
freddyg12
Playmaker

No. But it looks like that's not on the table so far.

Keeping him seems to smack of face saving on vinny/danny's part. Awfully expensive acquisition when you combine salary + a 2nd round pick. I will admit that at the time I liked the trade, yet a 2nd round pick these days is pretty high. Cassell was just traded for a 2nd rounder & he may be a franchise qb. Granted, it was an early 2nd.

Looks like Evans is gone no matter what. Maybe he could sign here for vet min. if he's desparate, but they've already given his # to AH.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
He would still get all the money if he were traded.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
cdskins26
Special Teams

I would keep him around for another year. You cant expect all the injuries and he still is a great player. He finally looked like he did in Miami in the game against Philly (second one) and if we can get that next year every game, he deserves to stay.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Re-working his deal still isn't out of the question.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Pocket$ $traight

Well looking at Canty's deal, I don't think that $8.5 for Jason Taylor is that bad. Also, you mentioned Evans and a journeyman linebacker. Do you really think that the team is better off with those parts than a healthy Jason Taylor?

Plus, I think that Willis is going to sign a big deal so I am not convinced they could sign him, Evans and an LB.

We have four draft picks including the 13th pick. If we cannot find a couple of starters in our draft, we will never be a contender. The draft has to be productive.

So Jason Taylor has a low sack total but plays through two potential season ending injuries and the team would be better served with a part time lineman and a journeyman linebacker? I think he deserves a little more credit than that.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Agreed. As Matty said, reworking his deal isn't out of the question, but if we assume your logic is correct, it's only likely if he still gets his $8.5 in full. If he's going to be here, I sure hope they don't restructure w/him just to push his cap #s to future years.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Re-working his deal still isn't out of the question.
Can they convert his salary into a bonus and use that for cap room to sign a RT like Willis?

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Basically, we're renting JT for one more season at $8.5M. If we don't go deep into the playoffs this season with JT as a key contributor, then that $8.5M will have been wasted.

On the other hand, if that same cap room were to be used on a couple of good young players at positions of need we may still get to the playoffs and we'll be building on our foundation for the future. We may even be able to trade JT for a draft pick. Tampa Bay, with about a zillion dollars in cap room, comes to mind as a possible trading partner.

For one thing, we need a solid RT. I don't know what the plan is to fix that position but if the plan is to hand it to a rookie, then it's a bad one because that's just too risky. Maybe the plan is to rent a Tra Thomas or Marc Colombo for a year. That would probably work. But wouldn't it be a better idea to sign Ray Willis who is an up and coming RT and is only 27 years old?

Also, with the cap room we save we should be able to bring back Demetric Evans, 29, who is a solid player at DE. What's wrong with giving Evans a nice raise and a promise that he will be the starter? He's earned it and he'll do a good job.

We may even be able to pick a FA SLB to help us out.

If we were to do all of these things, then we would have the freedom to draft the best available player, regardless of position, with each and every one of our draft picks. That should strengthen our team even more.

So here are the choices as I see them:

Jason Taylor

or

Ray Willis,
Demetric Evans,
Journeyman LB, and
Draft Pick

What are your thoughts on this topic?
Per Schneed and CC the Skins have enough room to have all the pieces you mention and Jason Taylor at $8.5 for 2009 (and totally cleared off the books in 2010 ... just in case). So you might be setting up a false choice. That is unless Willis gets significantly more money than Dockery and in that case would you really rather have him than a 1st rounder at RT?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Can they convert his salary into a bonus and use that for cap room to sign a RT like Willis?
You don't know what Willis is going to sign for but what is wrong with using a draft pick. Every other (good) team fills positions in the draft.

Personally, I think that the tackles in the draft (especially Oher and Smith) will be better than Willis.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #13
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Can we even trust Vinny to draft a starting RT at #13? Who knows what Vinny, with his "Best Available Player" philosophy, might do?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Can we even trust Vinny to draft a starting RT at #13? Who knows what Vinny, with his "Best Available Player" philosophy, might do?
Vinny's first round picks have been pretty good.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
Vinny's first round picks have been pretty good.
All of the 1st rounders have been "no-brainers", meaning you can't give him credit for anything.