Update: Evans Signs with Niners

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #166
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Update: Evans Signs with Niners

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
We just signed the most dominant DT in football, retained a young playmaking defensive back, brought back a top-flight offensive guard familiar at great value and yet the front office is a bunch of morons for not spending a couple of million dollars on a reserve 30 year-old linemen who drew no interest from around the league, save for one (one very average) franchise. Nice guy, and yeah $4 million is probably not much in the grand scheme of things. But it's not chump change either. We could, for example, trade down and draft say Tyson Jackson and Clint Sintim addressing both DL and linebacker needs...and we'd still probably pay the two of them next year less than what Evans would get.

And we have plenty of valuable, hard-working role players (Thrash, Khary Campbell, Rock). What we need are young studs, not aging good guys.

Comparing Evans to Clark is highly misleading because was a 25/26 year old starting safety for us that was developing a strong camraderie with Sean Taylor. Evans is a reserve (started more than one game in a season for the first time in his career last year) close to the other side of 30, and the addition of Haynesworth more than makes up for the loss of Evans.

I like Evans and it would have been nice if he could have stayed, but to rant and rave over his loss and complain about the idiocy at Redskins Park because he's not here anymore is fracking moronic.
I love this post! The FO is catching a lot of flack over past mistakes. The past is the past. Let it go.

Advertisements
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #167
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Update: Evans Signs with Niners

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
Per the Redskin Insider:

Don't know how much of this is to be believed, but if true. I'm really surprised the SKINS DID NOT make an offer! I think Evans has and would have been an important part of the Defense this season.

For a very reasonable cost, to say the least!

Posted at 5:08 PM ET, 03/ 5/2009
Demetric Evans Moving On

Redskins end Demetric Evans, a valuable and versatile contributor during his five seasons in Washington, and the team's best defensive end during the 2008 season, said the decision to sign with San Francisco Wednesday night came down to the fact that the 49ers wanted him, and Washington never gave any indication that it did.

Evans signed a two-year deal with San Francisco, but the second year is based on his production. So in essence it's a one-year, $2 million deal. He will be playing in a 3-4 scheme, which is different for him, but the presentation from the coaches and front office was very impressive, he said. They are giving him every opportunity to compete for a starting job, with some freedom to get after the football.

Leaving this area will be very difficult -- Evans's wife has one year left on her residency at a local hospital --and the Redskins knew he wanted to stay here. They had all of the leverage and all year to get a deal done, but Evans said they never made an offer to keep him, prior to or after him becoming a free agent. This was despite the Redskins having just one every-down DE on the current roster (Andre Carter). (Also I continue to hear that the Redskins Reunion Tour at DE is looking more and more like a go, with Phillip Daniels and Renaldo Wynn both candidates to return).
It's got to say something that nobody but SF wanted him and doesn't trust the decision enough more than a 1 year contract with the 2nd year (and less money that year) based on production.

I liked the guy but he wasn't necessarily the best answer for us, we've a bit to go before the end is known. It's nice that Evans liked that SF wanted him; I wouldn't mind seeing Wynn come back though. Not that he's exactly the guy that determines whether you're going to the playoffs, but he had a lot of love for DC. Every now and again he'd pop up on ES to say hi and to wish us well, it's a lot for a player to even show up on a team's message board, it's a lot more to do so after he's with another team, so if we bring him back he's got the heart for us definitely.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote