C 51 33.33%
D 24 15.69%
F 4 2.61%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #46
Shadowbyte
Special Teams

Re: Analyzing Mike Shanahan at the Midway Point

I'm going to give Mike Shannahan a D. He doesn't deserve anything higher. Has our offensive line improved, NO, has our defense improved NO, has our offensive ranking increased, YES, we went from the # 20th ranked offense to the #18th ranked offense.

The only thing that has improved is our QB play. So far Shannahan hasn't done sh*t. No wonder this clown has only one 1 playoff game in the last 10 years. If McNabb wasn't our QB we'd be 0-8 right now.
Shadowbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #47
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

What sort of 8 game miracles were people hoping for exactly, particularly with the OL?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #48
Bushead
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I guess I'm 1 of the only 2 who gave him an A. I felt Shanahan and Co. Has done a rather good job with what they were left with. On top of that the HC does not have his type of OL, he's making due with what he has. Then there is the change of the whole defensive scheme for which yet again we don't have all the right pieces.

I feel if the team came out and used the term "rebuild" ther would have been a lowered expectation and we all would be pleasantly suppressed right now mid season being 4-4. Instead they mentioned making a run at the play offs and people expected 9-7 and are criticizing and scrutinizing everything to include how he manages the team. I for a second time am excited about how he's managing the players, enough with the player type coaches.
I was actually the other person to rate A, though we do have three people now on the Shanahan Express.

What I perceive as the biggest problem with the redskins the past 10+ years has been the constant switching of coaches and seemingly knee-jerk reactions. I want a coach to finally have a good three years at Redskins Park before people start asking for his head and grading him C, D or F.

I have said this before, but the redskins lack talent at a lot of positions. Joey Galloway is evidence enough to see this. Shanahan has been able to use what he has and found immense talent in no-name people to make us at least competitive every Sunday.

So we sit at 4-4. But, now we have a coach who isn't afraid to make a decision, won't suck up to players, seems to put the people out there that want to work for it, and is great at finding talent.

When i watch other football games, I've seen Qb's that have 4 or 5 full seconds to find an open receiver, and it's funny to see their drives stall, or no one can get open, or all these problems they have. After watching how some good/elite teams play offense, I don't even know how McNabb has time to complete a pass.

He's made some interesting decisions, I'll give him that, but with only 8 games to see results, I'm not going to say the were bad. I want to see a full body of work, such as 48 games. Wouldn't that be nice?
Bushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #49
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I give Shanahan a B, because he's already at the halfway point and the team is clearly improved from last years squad. The only thing I question about him/don't like what he does is his arrogance. I liked what he did with Haynesworth to an extent, but after a while, it just got to the point where he was looking like a smartass towards AH, especially when we needed him for the Colts game, and AH wanted to play after his brothers death, but Shanahan felt he didn't have enough practice, my question to shanahan is did it even matter, being that we only played the game with one down DL for most the game?

I would have also put in a claim for Randy Moss.

I would have been playing with the 4-3 a little bit, to utilize your teams strengthens and show the other team different looks, since the 3-4 has had its growing pains for sure.

I would have never lied to the media constantly saying that McNabb wasn't conditioned enough and doesn't know the 2 minute offense enough. I would have just said Donovan wasn't doing well, so I decided to take him out.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #50
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I give Shanahan a B, because he's already at the halfway point and the team is clearly improved from last years squad. The only thing I question about him/don't like what he does is his arrogance. I liked what he did with Haynesworth to an extent, but after a while, it just got to the point where he was looking like a smartass towards AH, especially when we needed him for the Colts game, and AH wanted to play after his brothers death, but Shanahan felt he didn't have enough practice, my question to shanahan is did it even matter, being that we only played the game with one down DL for most the game?

I would have also put in a claim for Randy Moss.

I would have been playing with the 4-3 a little bit, to utilize your teams strengthens and show the other team different looks, since the 3-4 has had its growing pains for sure.

I would have never lied to the media constantly saying that McNabb wasn't conditioned enough and doesn't know the 2 minute offense enough. I would have just said Donovan wasn't doing well, so I decided to take him out.
Well someone else got to Moss first, so that's really a moot point.

As far as the 4-3, we've been playing it more than just a little bit...

There may be a lot more to the McNabb story than we know. Do I think he should have been pulled with 2 minutes to go? Absolutely not. There's just no way MS was giving the real reason, so he made up some cockamamie reasons... Does he really care what the media (or we) think? Probably not.

We should all remember that Shanahan is what we were asking for in the dark days of years past. Someone with great football creds, willing to kick ass and take names. He's doing it his way and his way seems way better than whatever came before him. Excluding JGII, of course.

Let's give the man a provisional B+ and show some patience. It's gonna be a 3 year process if we do it right...

HTTR since '66
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #51
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I gave him a B.

Ive never been a huge Shanahan fan, and really wanted Gruden. But with what hes done with the team since the season has started has pretty much been what weve all wanted.

The one really dumb move hes made so far wasa benching McNabb with 2 mins to go, im completely cool with McNabb being bench but not with 2 mins to go for a guy who hasnt really played in almost 2 years.

Also im not crazy about cutting Devin Thomas, he seemed like he was playing hard every time he was on the field (for teams) and i could care less if he had dreams of become a actor or model. Maybe he was messing up in practice. I trust that it wasnt just personal with Shanahan, or at least i hope it wasnt.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #52
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post
Well someone else got to Moss first, so that's really a moot point.
Not really. We were ahead of the Titans in the waiver order. It's not like beat us to him. We passed on him.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #53
MTK
\m/

I gave him a B. Solid job overall, my one major gripe was his handling of this McNabb situation. The more he talked about it, the worse it got. If he would have just come out from the start and said 'McNabb was struggling so I went to Grossman looking for a spark', I think this wouldn't have gotten so out of control. Instead he just kept adding fuel to the fire.

Not sure if he's just not a great communicator, funny because normally his style is very Belichick like in that he doesn't offer up much of anything. Or maybe this was all to give McNabb a public kick in the pants since private ones haven't worked, regardless of what his plan was right now it just looks bad. If McNabb heats up and the team wins 9-10 games it probably goes away. If not it's only going to fester the rest of the way and end in a one and done for #5.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #54
12thMan
MVP

Yeah, my guess is either the team as a whole or McNabb has to play lights out the rest of the way for this to considered a "misunderstanding" between the two parties.

The media won't let this rest just because the Skins had a bye week and with every dirt ball McNabb throws, the fan base will continue to grow impatient. But it wouldn't be D.C. if there wasn't a quarterback controversy.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #55
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I gave him a B. Solid job overall, my one major gripe was his handling of this McNabb situation. The more he talked about it, the worse it got. If he would have just come out from the start and said 'McNabb was struggling so I went to Grossman looking for a spark', I think this wouldn't have gotten so out of control. Instead he just kept adding fuel to the fire.

Not sure if he's just not a great communicator, funny because normally his style is very Belichick like in that he doesn't offer up much of anything. Or maybe this was all to give McNabb a public kick in the pants since private ones haven't worked, regardless of what his plan was right now it just looks bad. If McNabb heats up and the team wins 9-10 games it probably goes away. If not it's only going to fester the rest of the way and end in a one and done for #5.
I think you're right on here Matty.

In my own opinion, I don't think DM has a god image but I think the fact that he felt needed here would have helped him more than (Your just another number round here with sheriff Shanny in town.)

I think he responded well to being benched in Philly because of the mutual respect with Andy. But personally, I don't think he is going to respond to the public slap on the hand by Shanny.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #56
Dread-Skin
Special Teams

As questionable as Coach mike has been I rank and grade Kyle lower. I'm starting to worry the reins will be passed to him. I dont think he is that productive in the absence of a Schaub/AJohnson. Tough shoes to fill but no one has been able to define why McNabb is struggling b/c the OL only as of late are at fault.
Dread-Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #57
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

A "C" is an average grade.

4-4 is an average record.

Therefore MS gets a "C."
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #58
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

So far he gets a B+ in my book.. He was charged with more important tasks than just winning ballgames when he was hired and from all accounts, it's been an overwhelming success. He was brought in to instill an overall culture change-from the top down in the organization and he has done it. Accountability is now present where it was missing before. Discipline is obviously more prevalent than it was in year prior. As it's been said many times over, it's clear the grown-ups are in charge now.

The Trent Williams draft pick looks like a winner, bringing in Torrain, bringing up Armstrong, moving Landry to SS, promoting Banks from the PS all seem like positive moves for the team short and long term. While I didn't care for the way he handled the McNabb situation, I think he handled Haynesworth like no other coach could/would have, he made the right call in retrospect on Devin Thomas so he has enough credit for me to give him a pass on McNabb with an eye open to how it turns out the rest of the way.

As for our record, we're just about (if not sightly ahead) where I expected us to be at the break. I figured we'd lose to Indy, GB, Houston and Philly and beat Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago and Detroit. Shows how much I know! I think we won games (Green Bay, Dallas) that we would have found a way to lose in years prior. We were inches from also winning the Houston game and a healthy RB away from probably winning the Detroit game as well. To be sitting at 4-4 with a new offense, new defense and the number of injuries we've had is a testament to Shanahan's program.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #59
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
This is what Jake Plummer had to say about Shanahan:

"It just seemed like every game I could have completed these four more passes or these five more shots here and it would have been perfect. And that just wasn't my personality... But Shanahan wanted perfection and he wore a lot of us down there."
Isn't this what everyone should want? I would never hire someone who didn't want to do his job to perfection and I expect nothing less from myself. Praise, praise poke. We can always do better and should strive to do so.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #60
MTK
\m/

Plummer seems to be a little thin skinned