The LA Vikings?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #31
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: The LA Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I've always wondered if the Skins moved to another city, would people stick with them? Not that it would ever happen, but hypothetically what would you do?
I'd stick with them. It might be tougher if they changed their name too, but I'd try to stick with them.

Remember, they've moved once before...AND changed their name.

Of course, dmek25 is the only one here who remembers that move. :cheeky-sm

I just can't imagine trying to choose another team. I don't think I could. I suppose the Colts would be a leading candidate, my dad likes them (used to live in Indiana growing up and we have family there). Definitely could not pick another NFC team.

Advertisements
Old 12-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #32
Player_HTTR
Special Teams

Nope, I would have alot more time on Sundays until a team came back to Washington. That is where I am from, where my great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents cheered for them from. And even though I have moved out of the area, alot of my family memories are linked to Sundays and the WASHINGTON Redskins. It is a relationship with a team that is 34 years in the making and I cannot think of it as the same team in a different place.

Plus I live in NC now, who would want to admit they like the Panthers.
Player_HTTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #33
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I've always wondered if the Skins moved to another city, would people stick with them? Not that it would ever happen, but hypothetically what would you do?
I became a skins fan around 5 years old lol, I have never lived in the DC area.. I grew up in the New Orleans area and have also lived in Fla.. Now in OK and I am still a DIEHARD Skins fan.. Idk why I started liking them but I always have.. If they would ever move from DC and be called something else, I guess I would just become a Saints or Bucs fan because I've been to Both teams games over the years.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #34
irish
Playmaker

I cant imagine the Skins would ever move but its only a matter of time before they change their name.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #35
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I cant imagine the Skins would ever move but its only a matter of time before they change their name.
The Washington Generals......I can see it now! :cheeky-sm
Old 12-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #36
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I know L.A. has been wanting an NFL team back for awhile.
I would hate to see Minnesota lose their team after 50 years. The ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on the Colts leaving Baltimore hit home on how much an established franchise means to a community. For many Colts fans, it was like a death in the family that is still a painful memory.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #37
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
I would hate to see Minnesota lose their team after 50 years. The ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on the Colts leaving Baltimore hit home on how much an established franchise means to a community. For many Colts fans, it was like a death in the family that is still a painful memory.
That's why I hate the Irsay's and the Colts, they should trade franchise names with the Ravens, the same could be said about the Browns becoming the Ravens, screw Modell too. I'm a diehard Redskins fan but also like tradition.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #38
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
No its not. The hippies have been trying and failing for years. ACTUAL Native Americans are overwhelmingly unoffended or honored by the name. Non-issue.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #39
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

If the Skins ever moved to another city, I'd still root for them. Think about how Seattle feels about the SuperSonics now that they are in OKC, I'd imagine the majority of old SuperSonics fans there are now OKC fans.

Even if the Redskins moved to LA, I'd still root for them. That's my team. I don't want to pick between 31 other teams, I want to root for the Redskins, even if their name was changed as part of the move.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #40
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
If the Skins ever moved to another city, I'd still root for them. Think about how Seattle feels about the SuperSonics now that they are in OKC, I'd imagine the majority of old SuperSonics fans there are now OKC fans.

Even if the Redskins moved to LA, I'd still root for them. That's my team. I don't want to pick between 31 other teams, I want to root for the Redskins, even if their name was changed as part of the move.
Actually most seattle fans hate OKC and the Thunder lol, the team still receives hate Mail lol
Old 12-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #41
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Actually most seattle fans hate OKC and the Thunder lol, the team still receives hate Mail lol
Why hate the Thunder when the owner is to blame? Is it Kevin Durants' fault that the owner of his team wanted to make more money? Seattle fans just have misplaced anger. I can't speak for the rest of DC if the Redskins ever moved, but I'd still root for the team.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #42
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Why hate the Thunder when the owner is to blame? Is it Kevin Durants' fault that the owner of his team wanted to make more money? Seattle fans just have misplaced anger. I can't speak for the rest of DC if the Redskins ever moved, but I'd still root for the team.
Yea I know, the Seattle fans obviously didn't want them that much.. They never went to the games
Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #43
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Key issue in being able to move a team is the stadium lease the team has in the present city. Here are a couple of situations to keep an eye on:

Vikings: Lease expires in 2011 with or without a new stadium on the books.

Rams: Have an opt-out clause in their lease for 2014.

Chargers: Lease runs to 2020 but the team can buy out of the lease each Spring - - and the amount to buy out goes down every year. Amount is just under $26M in 2011.

Bills: Lease expires in 2012. Team wants upgrades to the stadium and team has been stiff-armed every time they ask.

Raiders: Just extended their lease through 2013.

Remember, it will take a couple of years to get the LA stadium built once they get permission to break ground so teams that can move in 12,13 and 14 are all in play.

BTW, when Los Angeles lost its two NFL teams, they played in the LA Coliseum. If you have never been there, you might have difficulty understanding why it was a "less than wonderful game experience" for fans. No one would move to LA if they had to play there; that's why there are people jockeying to build a new stadium in one of two locales in the LA area...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #44
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
That's why I hate the Irsay's and the Colts, they should trade franchise names with the Ravens, the same could be said about the Browns becoming the Ravens, screw Modell too. I'm a diehard Redskins fan but also like tradition.
Doesn't bother you that the Redskins moved here from Boston?
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #45
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Well, from what little I know, the Skins moved away from Boston because no one gave a damn.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote