Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Will Jay's offense follow Scott's lead?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #16
Meks
Pro Bowl

Re: Will Jay's offense follow Scott's lead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
He being Jay?

I recall Bruce Allen hinting here: Bruce Allen says changes coming to Washington Redskins' offense - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN that there would be changes to the offense but I don't recall hearing anything like that come from Jay. And on the whole I don't put a lot credit into 'soundbite' Bruce who like his father, is a master of not giving up any real information. (except Bruce is way smooth about it) So I tend not to put much stock in those hints from Bruce. Now if Jay, the HC/playcaller, hinted at changes that would be meaningful to me.

I would be interested to know/read what Jay said I may have missed it because I was out of the media loop for a week around the draft time.
It was in an article I read, can't recall where few weeks maybe a month back, touched on the read option with Robert, having a better success running and "re-tooling" or tweaking the offense a little... Can't recall where though
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-21-2015, 03:33 AM   #17
Skins4L
Impact Rookie

Thats because his scheme was all screens and short dropoffs. We didnt stretch the field as much as we should have imo. A few times i literally called it like if we bomb it here its money and boom djax over the top. I just think we need to develop a rapport and well move the ball and score often with jays scheme its just such a jailbreak scheme literally.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #18
HailGreen28
Playmaker

The title of this thread puzzles me. I assume McCloughan is drafting for our system, offense, defense, special teams. The schemes that our coaches run. If Gruden wants better power run blocking, McCloughan should draft accordingly, and vice versa if pass blocking. Even going "BPA", it's based on your system. If BPA overall is a small but fast 3-4 inside linebacker, but you run a 4-3, he's probably not BPA on your board.

As far as playcalling, that's up to coach. The only influence McCloughan has is how well the players he drafts can run the play, right?

I pray that McCloughan and Gruden are on the same page period. Otherwise we will continue to suck regardless of who "follows whose lead" in the front office. I hate that there is any doubt about this.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
The title of this thread puzzles me. I assume McCloughan is drafting for our system, offense, defense, special teams. The schemes that our coaches run. If Gruden wants better power run blocking, McCloughan should draft accordingly, and vice versa if pass blocking. Even going "BPA", it's based on your system. If BPA overall is a small but fast 3-4 inside linebacker, but you run a 4-3, he's probably not BPA on your board.

As far as playcalling, that's up to coach. The only influence McCloughan has is how well the players he drafts can run the play, right?

I pray that McCloughan and Gruden are on the same page period. Otherwise we will continue to suck regardless of who "follows whose lead" in the front office. I hate that there is any doubt about this.
I don't think there's a ton of doubt there. Sure, people will wonder and never truly know how close the two are, but from the outside looking in they seem to be working together. A lot of the same things being said by both of them etc.

I also recall one of McCloughan's first press conferences where he stressed the importance of working with coaches and getting players that fit not only the head coaches description but also the positional coaches descriptions.

We've seen a lot of big talk around Redskins park with no results, with McCloughan on board I feel we're closer than ever to getting some legitimate results to back all the off season chatter.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #20
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
The title of this thread puzzles me. I assume McCloughan is drafting for our system, offense, defense, special teams. The schemes that our coaches run.
Agreed, never said different.

Quote:
Certainly playcalling is up to the HC.

You could be absolutely right and McCloughan influence may not extend to offensive philospohy. I am guessing you've heard Scott's numerous comments about the style of football he wants? Scott's comments in relation to Jay's tendencies is the crux of my question in this discussion thread. Whether or not there will be a change in playcalling/gameplan.

And guessing by your statement above about the limits of Scott's influence you aren't expecting a paradigm shift in offensive philosophy to something more similar to that of Seattle or 49ers?

My only aim in this thread was to have a discussion about what next year's offensive philosophy(pass heavy/balanced/run heavy) might be.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #21
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:

Do you really believe this could have been......overlooked?
And if Jay cannot make it happen, guess what the next competition is?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #22
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
An easy example for me is Mike Shanahan. I was (don't stone me) a huge fan of Mike Shanahan's Denver WCO and during his tenure in Denver, through all manner or defenses and QBs and RBs his pass/run ratio was: 48 run / 52 pass. Mike Shanahan is a run oriented coach....
Audio « CBS DC

Intersting comments from Mike Shanahan on whether or not Alfred Morris has regressed last year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shanahan
"The question is how much do you believe in the running game? How many attempts are you going to have per game?....Its a mindset"
Mike goes on to talk about the...Redskins (SB era) ran the ball ~31 times a game and only had YPC 4.1 but their running game set-up big plays through their play-action game.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Mike Shanahan Opens Up About RGIII, Snyder, Read-Option « CBS DC

Shanahan expressed little surprise that Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan said he’d received little trade interest for Cousins this offseason. But that doesn’t change his opinion of the quarterback, Shanahan said – especially if he lands in a situation where a team puts a bigger emphasis on the running game.
“I think Kirk Cousins will be a big-time player for a lot of years in the National Football League,” Shanahan said.
He later added: “I’ve seen first hand what he can do and once he gets a team with a little balance he’ll have a very successful NFL career.”
Old 05-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #23
Bishop Hammer
Special Teams

Shanahan's quarterback track, post Elway, leaves a lot to be desired. Plus he harbors a grudge against Griffin. That plays a big factor in his endorsement of Cousins.
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #24
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Hammer View Post
Shanahan's quarterback track, post Elway, leaves a lot to be desired. Plus he harbors a grudge against Griffin. That plays a big factor in his endorsement of Cousins.
You missed my point in the above posts. I couldn't care less about Mike's comments about Kirk.

The point I was trying to illustrate is Mike Shanahan (with a career run/pass ratio of ~50/50) basically questioning Jay's commitment to the running game and his lack of balance in play calling. Which was part of the question being addressed in the OP whether Jay's play calling married up to Scott's run focused philosophy.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:01 AM   #25
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

IMO Jay wanted to show everyone my passing attack can win games. Granted we where behind early in a lot of games. This year our OLine dictates run, run, run, run and pas.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #26
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
IMO Jay wanted to show everyone my passing attack can win games. Granted we where behind early in a lot of games. This year our OLine dictates run, run, run, run and pas.
Do you think Jay will adjust and become more run focused? Or maintain his pass focus? If you had to guess at pass% what you think 60%, 55%, under 55%?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #27
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Quote:
Do you think Jay will adjust and become more run focused? Or maintain his pass focus? If you had to guess at pass% what you think 60%, 55%, under 55%?
I want to say 50% run/pass but if the run, run, run, run and pass works. What are you thinking/guessing/predicting ?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #28
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
I want to say 50% run/pass but if the run, run, run, run and pass works. What are you thinking/guessing/predicting ?
I think that Jay will be Jay; he's a WCO guy, former QB and he has some good concepts in his passing offense. So I doubt we'll see a Cowboys style paradigm shift from pass heavy to run heavy in one season. But with all this rhetoric and improvements to the run game (coaching and personnel) I would guess Jay will run the ball more moving from a 40% clip last year to a 44% clip.

It would be awesome if we were 50% run though.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #29
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Your probably right. We have a WR that can take the roof of any DF so run in the 40 - 45% is realistic.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #30
30gut
Playmaker

A 50/50 Split for the Redskins

A 50/50 SPLIT FOR THE REDSKINS