Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Training Camp is fast approaching What....

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-12-2022, 08:12 PM   #61
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: Training Camp is fast approaching What....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
When you say "we just need to give him a chance", I read "let's take a chance".

Glad we have three guys ahead of him on the depth chart. I wouldn't want to be in a position where we're relying on him unless injuries force it. It's not like he's been buried on the depth chart behind Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Az Hakim and Ricky Proehl his whole career.
The thing is we don't need to take a chance. Like you said we have guys ahead of him.
For me it was more about predicting who's gonna step up, and with Logan Thomas potentially unavailable to start the season, it's not unlikely that Wentz could enjoy having a big body receiver that has proven he can make some tough contested catches... Now if you wanna say that big target is more likely to be 5th round pick TE Cole Turner than Cam Sims, it's a fair discussion to have, but I wouldn't bet crazy money on either of them, it's July, we're just making conjectures for now.

Advertisements
Old 07-12-2022, 08:18 PM   #62
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
The thing is we don't need to take a chance. Like you said we have guys ahead of him.
For me it was more about predicting who's gonna step up, and with Logan Thomas potentially unavailable to start the season, it's not unlikely that Wentz could enjoy having a big body receiver that has proven he can make some tough contested catches... Now if you wanna say that big target is more likely to be 5th round pick TE Cole Turner than Cam Sims, it's a fair discussion to have, but I wouldn't bet crazy money on either of them, it's July, we're just making conjectures for now.
A lot hype for Cole Turner. So much so that people are almost forgetting about Thomas and Bates. I know Thomas may start hurt but he is still a very good player. Bates' blocking is excellent and his receiving is serviceable. Eager to see if Turner is the real deal at tight end catching passes as believed.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:12 PM   #63
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I can't figure out Cam Sims. Maybe he's just as you said Schneed - just a guy. I know he has only started 14 games, and played in 38. Perhaps it's telling that he has never played 60% of the offensive snaps. But for some reason, I only remember him making clutch catches. Doubt there is a stat for that, and maybe I'm not remembering correctly. He only has 2 drops in 71 targets - not bad. I don't know...for me I just have to say I don't know due to the QBs that have been throwing to him. If I were to put a bet on who was going to be more productive, or who was going to be that big RZ target, I would have to go with C Sims over C Turner - mostly because of his experience in the offense and in the league. I actually have high hopes for C Sims this year, but they have to be tempered because there are a LOT of weapons on this offense all of a sudden.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:30 PM   #64
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Sims deserves a new chance considering we have a qb with real tools now. Frankly, don't think Turner cares which receivers work out as long as they are productive. No excuses.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:29 AM   #65
Schneed10
A Dude

I think this Cam Sims discussion is getting a little silly. He will get a chance. But remember, he has gotten a chance every year. The last few years we've had McLaurin and a bunch of jags, and Cam Sims has put up very modest numbers. 2020 was his best season, he put up 477 yards on 32 catches with 1 TD. Last year, even with Samuel hurt, he put up 15 catches for 211 yards.

I don't think the problem is he hasn't gotten a chance. There haven't been world beaters at WR ahead of him. Was Adam Humphries really burying him on the depth chart? If Cam Sims was a good player he would have emerged.

You could say the QB will make a difference. Last year Heinicke threw for 3400 yards, and Wentz threw for 3600. But in 2020 with musical chairs, our QBs threw for 3800 yards.

Add it all up and I can't see Cam Sims going above his 2020 production when he put up 32 catches for 477 yards and two TDs. I think you guys are saying a lot of nonsense about potential production without being grounded in the reality of what has actually happened.

He's just a guy who can occasionally make a play. Don't expect anything more.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:15 AM   #66
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
I think this Cam Sims discussion is getting a little silly. He will get a chance. But remember, he has gotten a chance every year. The last few years we've had McLaurin and a bunch of jags, and Cam Sims has put up very modest numbers. 2020 was his best season, he put up 477 yards on 32 catches with 1 TD. Last year, even with Samuel hurt, he put up 15 catches for 211 yards.

I don't think the problem is he hasn't gotten a chance. There haven't been world beaters at WR ahead of him. Was Adam Humphries really burying him on the depth chart? If Cam Sims was a good player he would have emerged.

You could say the QB will make a difference. Last year Heinicke threw for 3400 yards, and Wentz threw for 3600. But in 2020 with musical chairs, our QBs threw for 3800 yards.

Add it all up and I can't see Cam Sims going above his 2020 production when he put up 32 catches for 477 yards and two TDs. I think you guys are saying a lot of nonsense about potential production without being grounded in the reality of what has actually happened.

Again, he hasn't had a qb with Wentz's tools especially the arm strength upgrade. Dramatic improvement. Wentz is also much larger than previous Washington qbs too which will help. Not expecting Sims to be Jerry Rice but think he has a good opportunity with the new receivers/tight ends and qb.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:19 AM   #67
MTK
\m/

Quote:

I agree I think at this point Sims is who he is. He'll have some big plays, even a big game once or twice a season. More likely than not his ceiling is probably that 2020 season.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:23 AM   #68
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:

I 100% agree with you, he is just a guy who every 6 weeks will make a catch that makes you say "Wow" then will go back to just being a guy again.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:27 AM   #69
MTK
\m/

Just to be clear I like Sims, you need guys like him on your team. He fills an important role.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:50 AM   #70
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Sims is a jumpball type of a WR.. He lacks separation and that's why his targets are low.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:57 AM   #71
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Just to be clear I like Sims, you need guys like him on your team. He fills an important role.
Well said, depth dudes that can come in and move the chains once in a while when you need it. You're not designing plays around him but he's capable and has some experience.

He's also helpful on teams. Important roles. A guy worth paying the $2.5M this year that we're paying in order to be assured of a capable #4 WR.

But you paid McLaurin and Samuel millions for a reason, and drafted Dotson for a reason. Part of that reason is they can do what Cam Sims can't.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:39 PM   #72
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCommandersfan99 View Post
You can't coach Cam Sim's size at 6'5" 220 lbs. That is a huge catch radius. Wentz should give him opportunities for sure with his arm strength. Could see Cam Sims having a productive season with the new qb.
Plenty of players are 6'5" 220lbs and not worth anything

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:22 PM   #73
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I 100% agree with you, he is just a guy who every 6 weeks will make a catch that makes you say "Wow" then will go back to just being a guy again.
That's a fair assessment for what we've seen from him, and as the potential # 4 guy, that's just fine.

My guess is the change at QB, along with the other pieces added, will not have much impact on C Sims' #s, but the offense as a whole will be much better.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:08 PM   #74
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
That's a fair assessment for what we've seen from him, and as the potential # 4 guy, that's just fine.

My guess is the change at QB, along with the other pieces added, will not have much impact on C Sims' #s, but the offense as a whole will be much better.
FWIW, I agree with you, Chief.
KI Skins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:23 PM   #75
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Plenty of players are 6'5" 220lbs and not worth anything
Sure but being a larger qb is an advantage. Typically, they have better vision to see the field and durability. Plenty of smaller players are worth less.