Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A Closer Look at the 2016 Safety Class

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-27-2016, 04:45 AM   #16
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: A Closer Look at the 2016 Safety Class

don't ever judge a guy by his highlight reel alone. anyone can look good for 4 minutes of a 4 year career.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #17
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
don't ever judge a guy by his highlight reel alone. anyone can look good for 4 minutes of a 4 year career.
Lol, ya think?

Steelers 2016 Draft Prospect Breakdown: Southern Utah Safety Miles Killebrew - Behind the Steel Curtain

Physical safety, a little raw and big special teams contributor. Good size. Also yearly accolades as one of the top safeties...good production.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #18
30gut
Playmaker

Below is a convo from TMC about KBrew that we had from the combine after watching his game tape cutups:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
In just my limited time watching the Killebrew film (about 6-7 minutes or so) he would take the hit more than deliver it. Seemed to have good play recognition, but too many times he was letting the velocity of the other team overtake him. Makes me scared for someone that size. Wouldn't say tentative, but he just didn't have his acceleration there. It's like he would break down for the tackle and just stop moving his feet. *shrugs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Pretty much what I saw. It's only a 1 game sample size but I left that game feeling thatMiles lacked aggression and imho that is a trait a S must have all the time. Maybe he'll bring the wood at the Senior Bowl, but without that aggression for me personally I wouldn't pick him before the 4th round and that's only if he checks off everything else...speed, agility, coverage, range etc. The comparison's I've read about him to D. Buc and Kam Chancellor seem way, way off base.
Quote:
Pretty much what I saw. It's only a 1 game sample size but I left that game feeling thatMiles lacked aggression and imho that is a trait a S must have all the time. Maybe he'll bring the wood at the Senior Bowl, but without that aggression for me personally I wouldn't pick him before the 4th round and that's only if he checks off everything else...speed, agility, coverage, range etc. The comparison's I've read about him to D. Buc and Kam Chancellor seem way, way off base.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #19
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I watched a few more of the Draft Breakdown clips and saw more of what made me nervous initially. Imposing dude for sure, but really didn't seem aggressive at all. Was in the right place most of the time, but for someone that big, he was taking the hit versus delivering it.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #20
30gut
Playmaker

I was hoping he would make some noise at the Senior Bowl and have a good measurables to make bump him up. But I have a bunch of SAF graded out ahead of him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I couldn't find my old chart of this game from before and didn't want to re-chart the whole game.....here's the first 5 minutes:

:03 Half Field--poor angle, slow to pursue, didn't gang tackle

:18 HF--gets frozen by juke and stops feet, gives 2 yards after contact to QB

:48 HF--fills hole, squares up but misses contact, drags RB down after 2 yards

1:08 HF--over runs sideline, misses contact, makes arm tackle

1:34 HF--ducks head, misses contact, tries to arm tackle/drag RB breaks away

2:20 HF--tries to grab tackle RB breaks free

3:08 HF--gets blocked and stays blocked by WR

3:35 HF--tentative to gang tackle

4:40 HF--makes drag tackle after giving up 1-2 yards at contact

Last edited by 30gut; 03-27-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #21
30gut
Playmaker

Tyvis Powell

Tyvis Powell vs Michigan State

~21 Snaps

1 @ Center Field FS
1 in the Box
Rest of plays were Half Field FS/Cover 2

Stats:
9 tackles
1 Tight coverage on TE 47s

Negatives:
o 3:01s over ran RB towards sideline, tried to reach back for arm tackle missed
o a couple plays where he couldn't get off blocks

Clips:
1:08 CF make up tackle on sideline after CB misses, brings arms to wrap
3:41 fills lane, fights through block from WR knocks RB back with contact uses arms to wrap

+15
Old 04-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #22
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
I'll start with Kevin Byard....
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...dle-tennessee/

Position fit:
Free safety in any scheme.

Stats to know:
Notched seven pass breakups and four interceptions, earning him the seventh-best coverage grade in the class.

What he does best:
• Looks to have the best range and ability in the deep middle of the field of any of the top safety prospects. Can be the elusive single-high free safety that many NFL defenses are looking for
• Has excellent ball skills and can pick the ball off, adjusting to it in flight. Has the school record with 19 interceptions, notching four of them this past season
• Takes good angles to the ball and the pass, and looks comfortable in space with more than enough athleticism to make plays
• Speed. Was able to run down Kenyan Drake in the open field to save a touchdown against Alabama

Biggest concern:
• Not a box safety. Came up quickly but would often take poor angles, miss tackles, or somehow conspire to avoid making the play. A sufficient tackler when he gets close enough to attempt one (only five misses in 2015), but can be beaten by a quick step easily.
• Questions about competition. Playing for Middle Tennessee State in Conference USA, there was a lack of high-level passing attacks on his schedule, and wasn’t a standout (either way) at the Senior Bowl
• More of a zone coverage player than one that can match up in man against receivers, even backs and tight ends. Will need to play off the line and cover space, not players

Player comparison: Reggie Nelson, free agent. Reggie Nelson has a similar size profile to Byard, though is giving up a significant amount of weight to the Middle Tennessee State product. Like Byard though, Nelson is at his best in coverage but has the ability to be solid against the run, and is not a player you want in man coverage against receivers down field. Byard has that kind of ability in a safety-starved league.

Bottom line: Kevin Byard might be one of the few players in this draft capable of playing the Earl Thomas role as a single-high deep-lying free safety. He may not have Earl Thomas range or ability, but neither does anybody else trying to occupy that space in NFL defenses right now. He does have a good nose for the ball and the ability to understand route concepts and passing threats from that alignment and influence the play in a way most can’t. In a league crying out for players to play in that position, Byard is one of the few in this draft class with the potential to pull it off.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #23
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-could-select/

this guy is good. Pretty good scouting report on Karl Joseph...looks solid if healthy

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 04-08-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #24
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-could-select/

Another scouting report from WP on the safety position. This time with Keanu Neal from Florida

He Gets Us
Old 04-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #25
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
I'll start with Kevin Byard:
+16/17
He kept his recently improved time under wraps and on Thursday, Byard clocked a a 4.49 and 4.5 in front of several NFL scouts.

MTSU's Kevin Byard improves 40 time on pro day

I think Kev is going way earlier then people think
Old 04-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #26
30gut
Playmaker

Safety:

Karl Joseph
Kevin Byard
Justin Simmons
Tyvis Powell