Active NBA Player Jason Collins Reveals Himself To Be Gay

Other Sports

Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: Active NBA Player Jason Collins Reveals Himself To Be Gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSkinsFan View Post
Not a big deal to me. If he can play he can play.

Honestly though, I wouldn't want him on The wizards next year for the same reason I wouldn't want tebow on the skins. Media is going to be crazy with him unless more players come out following this announcement. I glad for him personally that this weight has been lifted and hope he can get endorsements out of it, but it might end his career.
I don't think so.

Honestly I think by this time next week, nobody's going to care. I could understand if he was like... Kobe level popular, that would be a circus. But some bench warmer who can barely score 6 ppg? Nah.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

I live in DC and I was like, "Jason who?" Doesn't help that he's playing for the crappiest NBA team ever.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I live in DC and I was like, "Jason who?" Doesn't help that he's playing for the crappiest NBA team ever.
same reaction as me
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't think so.

Honestly I think by this time next week, nobody's going to care. I could understand if he was like... Kobe level popular, that would be a circus. But some bench warmer who can barely score 6 ppg? Nah.
Lol well dang rave u didn't have to say he's a scrub... True though
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Sadly my first thought after I kind of realized who it was came in the form of "Isn't that the guy thats rated a 53 on NBA 2K13?" Still good for him coming out. Even somewhat classier that he did it as a free agent and not in the middle of a season. I hope someone signs him this offseason.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Don't care. Not a news story. Don't give a shit about his sexuality. Might as well have a breaking news about his height, weight, and race. Only bigots think this is ground breaking.

edit: It's still a better story than anything Tim Tebow related. **** that guy...seriously.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #22
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
I don't think so.

Good for him....

But I'm going to stop before calling him the first "active" player to come out... because he's a free agent now, and he was barley playing as it is.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Don't care. Not a news story. Don't give a shit about his sexuality. Might as well have a breaking news about his height, weight, and race. Only bigots think this is ground breaking.

edit: It's still a better story than anything Tim Tebow related. **** that guy...seriously.

Im not sure if you read Collins' article, but he also made an announcement about his race:

Quote:
I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Anyone else think that Jason Collins is trying to make some money on this? A journeyman free agent, at the end of his career who makes the point of brining up the fact that he still wants to play basketball in his op-ed/announcement. Would you take the over or under on him coming out with a book within one year?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Anyone else think that Jason Collins is trying to make some money on this? A journeyman free agent, at the end of his career who makes the point of brining up the fact that he still wants to play basketball in his op-ed/announcement. Would you take the over or under on him coming out with a book within one year?
Oh definitely, he can gain so much money on being the first male athlete to come out.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Not in the least. I think he's trying to pave the way for others after he's gone. Doing it while he's still active could give others the courage to just be themselves.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #27
MTK
\m/

How much would he really stand to make off a book?

Doesn't seem worth it to stick his neck out there.

He's probably done ok for himself in the NBA, no?

He's done some basketball camps in my area, he has some family around here, he seems like a genuine dude.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I think I should rephrase my question because I have no idea who this guy is character wise. And Matty I think youre right, there probably is only little to gain financially by writing a book, but honestly would you take the over or under on 1 one year?

I think the question I should have asked is: What does Jason Collins have to gain considering his new found celebrity? And considering the times we live in, does he have anything to lose?

This article does a pretty good job of summing up how I feel (and perhaps NCSkins, considering his initial comments?):

Jason Collins: How Sports Illustrated Created A Contrived Nonstory About A Gay Basketball Player

The only thing I disagree with IB Times on is that I think we will hear from him again in a couple days. I think he parlays this into a post NBA sports career or perhaps a political career.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #29
MTK
\m/

I say good for him if he spins in to something positive for himself. It still takes courage as a male athlete to come out. Hopefully more will follow. The quicker they do the quicker we can put this in the past and move on.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #30
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I don't think so.

I think it's one of those stories that's going to have legs. While the good will far outweigh the negative I see this being a storyline that's going to follow him.

Off the top off head I see a 30 for 30, outside the lines, random non sports media stories, and a firestorm when someone from the stands says something stupid. An even bigger firestorm if its an opposing player. I see him and his teammates being asked for comment every time something political happens at the state and federal level. Even stupid shit like, does it feel different playing in a state that allows gay marriage? Do you get extra motivation playing against X player because he didn't march? I don't think it will be malicious, however I do think it will be constant.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote