Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why moving on from Bruce Allen this year is pivotal to the future of the franchise.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-29-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Why moving on from Bruce Allen this year is pivotal to the future of the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I'm in no way claiming to be smarter, but i believe (and i could be 100% wrong)if Alex Smith retires, we get the signing bonus back against the cap, then potentially Dan/Bruce/whoever could potentially add a big bonus on his front office contract to make up the difference to Alex...
I disagree. I believe if he retires his current remaining cap hit still counts against the cap. There's no savings to be had if a player chooses retirement.

Edit: I am partially wrong, according to this article I found on Google.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...the-salary-cap

According to this article, if Alex Smith filed his retirement as a post-June 1st retirement, we could split his cap hit into 2020 and then some into 2021. We also have the option of going after a portion of his signing bonus, but that would be some negative PR on our part for going after a guy who suffered a career ending broken leg and 17 surgeries after playing for us.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Why moving on from Bruce Allen this year is pivotal to the future of the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Alex Smith is 100% getting a FO job
QB coach

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Snyder's problem is he needs to stop being buddies with his employees. Treat it as a business. What has Vinny and Bruce done for you besides ruin your organization? Allen should have been fired a while ago, probably after the Cousins saga. But because he was friends with the owner he got to hang around longer than he ever should have.

Now he's befriending another employee in Smith. What the fuck is his problem? He obviously doesn't have a lot of friends.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:04 PM   #4
skinsfan69
Living Legend

The Snyder and Smith relationship is weird to me. Smith didn't do shit when he was in there and it was his first year starting. He didn't win a SB here or anything. And all of a sudden he's the owners best friend?

When Theismann broke his leg I don't remember him all of a sudden being Mr. Cooke's best friend. Once it was determined that he could no longer play he was released and he collected his insurance and moved on with his life.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:12 PM   #5
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The Snyder and Smith relationship is weird to me. Smith didn't do shit when he was in there and it was his first year starting. He didn't win a SB here or anything. And all of a sudden he's the owners best friend?

When Theismann broke his leg I don't remember him all of a sudden being Mr. Cooke's best friend. Once it was determined that he could no longer play he was released and he collected his insurance and moved on with his life.
Man, first things first, Theismann broke his leg 33 years ago. The landscape has changed so much in 33 years I really don't think we're comparing apples to apples here.

Secondly Dan Snyder's two previous best friends were a shitty actor and a guy whose only claim to fame is having a PFHOF dad. Someone who actually knows football and has spent time in winning cultures (like the KC/Reid system Smith came from) is soooooooooooooooooooooooo much of a massive upgrade over those two. Not to mention by all accounts Smith is a stand-up guy. I just hope some of his common sense rubs off on Dan.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:43 PM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Man, first things first, Theismann broke his leg 33 years ago. The landscape has changed so much in 33 years I really don't think we're comparing apples to apples here.

Secondly Dan Snyder's two previous best friends were a shitty actor and a guy whose only claim to fame is having a PFHOF dad. Someone who actually knows football and has spent time in winning cultures (like the KC/Reid system Smith came from) is soooooooooooooooooooooooo much of a massive upgrade over those two. Not to mention by all accounts Smith is a stand-up guy. I just hope some of his common sense rubs off on Dan.
I realize all of that but I just don't understand why an owner needs to pal around with his employees. I don't see the Mara's or Rooney's or the guy up in Baltimore doing this, or Robert Kraft. To me it's what losers do and it has hurt Dan Snyder badly.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I realize all of that but I just don't understand why an owner needs to pal around with his employees. I don't see the Mara's or Rooney's or the guy up in Baltimore doing this, or Robert Kraft. To me it's what losers do and it has hurt Dan Snyder badly.
I hear ya on that but I'd rather he be hanging out with a retired qb who comes to work because he's under contract than Bruce Allen.

Alex Smith is a unique situation. If what we hear about him wanting to move into a FO role after his "playing" days are up is true maybe he's just trying to get a head start on it since he's obviously not practicing anymore.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
Warthog
The Starter

Why moving on from Bruce Allen this year is pivotal to the future of the franchise.

If Dan Snyder wants to have buddies who are well respected in the NFL, have real football knowledge and can help this team build a winning culture -GREAT!

The problem was that he was listening to NFL charlatans like Vinny Cerrato and Bruce Allen. They had no idea how to build a winning football culture and their real knowledge of the NFL was poor. Both were considered very weak GM’s - with BA considered the worst in the NFL.

I think giving Alex Smith a position in the team is a big move forward for Snyder. I also really hope Kyle Smith is given the GM job because he has proved his knowledge of NFL talent with an outstanding 2019 draft class. He’s even getting good starters out of UDFA ( Harmon), which is fantastic!

The wicked witch is gone and real, NFL savvy executives are being moved into place. These are all very positive moves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
If Dan Snyder wants to have buddies who are well respected in the NFL, have real football knowledge and can help this team build a winning culture -GREAT!

The problem was that he was listening to NFL charlatans like Vinny Cerrato and Bruce Allen. They had no idea how to build a winning football culture and their real knowledge of the NFL was poor. Both were considered very weak GM’s - with BA considered the worst in the NFL.

I think giving Alex Smith a position in the team is a big move forward for Snyder. I also really hope Kyle Smith is given the GM job because he has proved his knowledge of NFL talent with an outstanding 2019 draft class. He’s even getting good starters out of UDFA ( Harmon), which is fantastic!

The wicked witch is gone and real, NFL savvy executives are being moved into place. These are all very positive moves!

ROUND 1, PICK 15 (15th overall):
Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State

ROUND 1, PICK 26 (26th overall):
Montez Sweat, EDGE, Mississippi State

ROUND 3, PICK 12 (76th overall):
Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State

ROUND 4, PICK 10 (112th overall):
Bryce Love, RB, Stanford

ROUND 4, PICK 29 (131st overall):
Wes Martin, G, Indiana

ROUND 5, PICK 15 (153rd overall):
Ross Pierschbacher, C, Alabama

ROUND 5, PICK 35 (173rd overall):
Cole Holcomb, LB, North Carolina

ROUND 6, PICK 34 (206th overall):
Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina State

ROUND 7, PICK 13 (227th overall):
Jimmy Moreland, DB, James Madison

ROUND 7, PICK 39 (253rd overall):
Jordan Brailford, EDGE, Oklahoma State
Old 12-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
ROUND 1, PICK 15 (15th overall):
Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State

ROUND 1, PICK 26 (26th overall):
Montez Sweat, EDGE, Mississippi State

ROUND 3, PICK 12 (76th overall):
Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State

ROUND 4, PICK 10 (112th overall):
Bryce Love, RB, Stanford

ROUND 4, PICK 29 (131st overall):
Wes Martin, G, Indiana

ROUND 5, PICK 15 (153rd overall):
Ross Pierschbacher, C, Alabama

ROUND 5, PICK 35 (173rd overall):
Cole Holcomb, LB, North Carolina

ROUND 6, PICK 34 (206th overall):
Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina State

ROUND 7, PICK 13 (227th overall):
Jimmy Moreland, DB, James Madison

ROUND 7, PICK 39 (253rd overall):
Jordan Brailford, EDGE, Oklahoma State
I think he was talking about Steven Sims
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #11
Warthog
The Starter

Oops. I was talking about Steve Sims, JR. Really good pickup for an UDFA rookie! Next year he’ll probably be the slot WR.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote