Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

This one's for you Dirtbag

Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterback

Advertisements
Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Alex Smith and having him learn under Shanny. We wouldn't be giving up draft picks, and chances are he'd come at a affordable price. Have him compete against Grossman for the starting spot and give it to whoever wins the competition in training camp.

Hasselbeck I'd be more worried about. He's older and he's injured prone at this point.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Id give Alex Smith a shot over sitting through a Rex Grossman lead team fo sho.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

I wouldn't mind adding Smith along with a rookie.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I like the idea of both Alex Smith and Bruce Gradkowski at QB. Gradkowski is a young version of Jeff Garcia, a savvy veteran who knows how to improvise to keep the play alive, and seems to make others play better around him....
Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Masshole
Camp Scrub

Agreed, re: flyer on Smith. I'm not big on Gradkowski, he's a competent backup, not a starter. The only reason Smith is preferable to Grossman is that he's got a higher upside. Besides, the quarterback class next year, particularly at the top of the draft (Luck, obviously, plus Barkely and Nick Foles) is much stronger in 2012, and we're at least 2 drafts away from being serious again... and will most likely be in the top 15 again, that is, if Shanahan is serious about rebuilding the right way.
Masshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
celts32
Playmaker

Smith is a far better short term option then Grossman but I still want a rookie in the first couple rounds of this draft.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Masshole
Camp Scrub

The other thing is, demand seems to be far outpacing supply for quarterbacks in this draft. If we could get Gabbert or Newton that's one thing, but they're not going to fall to us, so we're not going to get good value with our pick, and really, nothing would be worse than us REACHING during this draft, when we have so many needs to fill. And if 5 of the poorer teams in the league all draft quarterbacks this year, the 5 guys most talked about, plus Dalton and Kapaernick all going in the 1st 2 rounds, seems to stand to reason that demand for quarterbacks should drop next year, when the supply will be better. So we can get the best value rather than reaching for someone this year/trading away a key pick from next year to the Patriots to move from 41 to 33 (or 28), to take Locker or Ponder, who the jury is very much still out on.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Masshole
Camp Scrub

I mean, we could draft a seriously qualified starter for the front 7, or Ijalana/Wisnewski for the line, or maybe Jimmy Smith or Ras-I-Dowling to replace Deangelo Hall (sorry, wrong thread). Someone who could help us out immediately and potentially be an impact player in the league. Or we could take the 4th or 5th best quarterback in a weak qb class and have a 50/50 shot of him busting and like a 15-25% chance of him actually being the answer for us.

I think the only place to get a franchise quarterback these days is in the first round. There's not going to be one for us to take this year, and its not like we just need a qb - we need everything. Take the quarterback in the first 15 picks next year.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Here is Dan Daly's column from the Washington Times about how the Redskins got to the point where they need to reconstruct the QB position:

DALY: Redskins' quarterback shuffle adds up to lots of losses - Washington Times
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masshole View Post
The other thing is, demand seems to be far outpacing supply for quarterbacks in this draft. If we could get Gabbert or Newton that's one thing, but they're not going to fall to us, so we're not going to get good value with our pick, and really, nothing would be worse than us REACHING during this draft, when we have so many needs to fill. And if 5 of the poorer teams in the league all draft quarterbacks this year, the 5 guys most talked about, plus Dalton and Kapaernick all going in the 1st 2 rounds, seems to stand to reason that demand for quarterbacks should drop next year, when the supply will be better. So we can get the best value rather than reaching for someone this year/trading away a key pick from next year to the Patriots to move from 41 to 33 (or 28), to take Locker or Ponder, who the jury is very much still out on.
I tend to agree with you! I think it is much easier developing a QB when he has a great supporting cast around him. I would much rather the Redskins focus on building the offensive line up, getting a solid nose tackle, and landing a true #1 WR or the next start RB.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I'm a proponent of getting a QB this year and next year. Whether that's Alex Smith this year and Matt Barkley next year (as an example) or Jake Locker this year and Nick Foles next year, whatever it is I think we need not one but two young (or relatively young) QBs moving forward
Old 03-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'm a proponent of getting a QB this year and next year. Whether that's Alex Smith this year and Matt Barkley next year (as an example) or Jake Locker this year and Nick Foles next year, whatever it is I think we need not one but two young (or relatively young) QBs moving forward

I also agree with this as well. Isn't this something Dallas when they were building their championship team of the 90's? They had Akiman and Walsh (if I remember correctly.) Akiman eventually won the job and of course the rest was history. But of course they also had a lot more picks to help build their team (since the draft was more than seven rounds back then.)
Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
30gut
Playmaker

If Alex Smith and Bruce Gradkowski are good fits then these QBs must also be good fits: Troy Smith, Caleb Hanie, Brady Quinn, Trent Edwards, Matt Lienart, Brodie Croyle, Kellen Clemens,

I would take Tarvaris Jackson over any of them.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What I'm hoping for is 2 qb's this year, kinda. Dalton, Ponder or similar in the 2nd round, Stanzi maybe, then Tyrod Taylor in the 5th as our Brad Smith; wilcat/wr/pr/potentially backup qb.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote