What happens with Kyle Smith?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-30-2021, 11:08 PM   #286
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
He is a far better talent evaluator than Jesus. Jesus drafted Judas and they didn’t work out to well in the end.
Oh boy. Let's keep politics and religion out of these threads.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-30-2021, 11:17 PM   #287
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
He is a far better talent evaluator than Jesus. Jesus drafted Judas and they didn’t work out to well in the end.
And he even had Satan on his squad at one point. Jesus might've been a nice guy, died for our sins and all, but I wouldn't trust him to build my team.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:17 PM   #288
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
He is not garbage, no one is saying that he is. The duscussion about GM is because that was the position that needed to be filled. Once a new GM is hired the staff changes. That isnt a huge shock. KS had put his time in here and I imagine he felt entitled to an interview - RR didn't see it that way. At that point each one had to decide what was best. That ended up being KS leaving. You wish him the best and move on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
You also say with clear evidence he did a great job with the team.

He landed a job quickly because of his talent...dude was in the wind for a couple days.

Wish him the best

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:28 PM   #289
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I was being facetious. Y’all just all high strung because we struck out on Stafford.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:38 PM   #290
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
I was being facetious. Y’all just all high strung because we struck out on Stafford.
I didn't reply to your post 1st of all. And 2nd of all, I would have loved to have him, but my life strings are fine.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:32 AM   #291
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
I didn't reply to your post 1st of all. And 2nd of all, I would have loved to have him, but my life strings are fine.
😂 gotcha 👍🏻
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:22 PM   #292
HTTR
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
And in the end, if it wasn't a good working relationship between him and RR, then he simply had to go.

I'm confident in the current structure, until I have a reason not to be.

You have one giant reason *not* to be confident until proven otherwise: Dan Snyder.

Being mediocre not only means failing to attract and hire the best and the brightest, but also failing to keep homegrown talent inside the organization. Whenever things start to look promising from Snyder (eg, Gibbs 2.0), they quickly revert to the mean. Sure, this time may turn out better, but the organizational dysfunction is far from resolved.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:49 PM   #293
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post
You have one giant reason *not* to be confident until proven otherwise: Dan Snyder.

Being mediocre not only means failing to attract and hire the best and the brightest, but also failing to keep homegrown talent inside the organization. Whenever things start to look promising from Snyder (eg, Gibbs 2.0), they quickly revert to the mean. Sure, this time may turn out better, but the organizational dysfunction is far from resolved.
That's your reason. I'm fine with being confident until it is proven not to work.

"Homegrown" talent always ends up elsewhere. Where did Belichick come from? Mike Tomlin always been in the Steelers organization? Nope. Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, Sean Payton...all those guys grow up in those organizations? Nope. Bill Parcells...? I could go on and on with head coaches, GMs, etc. Funny thing is people move around when opportunities arise. You can't keep them all, no one does (or can).
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:08 PM   #294
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
That's your reason. I'm fine with being confident until it is proven not to work.

"Homegrown" talent always ends up elsewhere. Where did Belichick come from? Mike Tomlin always been in the Steelers organization? Nope. Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, Sean Payton...all those guys grow up in those organizations? Nope. Bill Parcells...? I could go on and on with head coaches, GMs, etc. Funny thing is people move around when opportunities arise. You can't keep them all, no one does (or can).
Not only can you not keep them, but getting exposure around the league isn't a bad thing. It seems like KS likely left on good terms. Maybe in a few years we read about KS coming back as GM. Maybe he develops talent there that we bring here ala Scott Turner. Bridges that aren't burnt allow traffic both ways.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:10 PM   #295
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I apologize SD the comment was meant to be jest towards the OP and not to poke fun at religion.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #296
SunnySide
Playmaker

I guess the team didnt value him that much if they gave permission for lateral interviews.

Surprised but not surprising if that makes sense.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:35 AM   #297
Scalper

Quote:

At least three of the more promising young coaches in game, Shanny, LaFleur, McVay, were here and left, and we chose Gruden, a mediocre coach at best, instead. We let a few promising young GM or talent evaluators go, while keeping Bruce and Vinny. The only reputable GM that would come here prior to RR was a drunk, McLovin, who was fired for abusing alcohol again. We then just let one of the most promising young talent evaluators in league go, who was admittedly brought in by Allen because he was a son of his buddy AJ Smith, but he does have pedigree and has been performing well. We let him walk to bring in two retreads.

I think the broader point of the original poster is that whenever we begin to sniff success, THE DAN meddles. Given that the one factor preventing success is still in place, THE DAN, the reasonable assumption is to presume it won't work until proven otherwise, because that is the history here. Anything else is irrational. We let the superior talent evaluator go for two guys who are better administrators. Only time will tell, but I think it is a mistake. At no time in the history of THE DAN'S ownership have we drafted so successfully, as the last three years, and letting a key contributor to that success walk seems unwise. We can only imagine where we might be right now if we had let Smith pick a QB instead of Haskins. But I see why RR had to have his own guy, given that he can't trust THE DAN but can't admit this publicly.

I expect Smith to be a GM within 5 years, and one of better GMs in league for a long time. I could be wrong. Time will tell. I expect us to be a solid competitor under RR but not win the SB, or even come close, and to eventually move on from him. I hope we win the SB, FYI. History suggests Mayhew and Hurney will whiff on a QB, as they have previous. I don't think Smith would have had he been given the power to select who he wanted, but we can't ever know for sure.

I like Smith. He isn't a polished public speaker like Mayhew or Hurney, but he seems more like a scout. The single most important skill of a GM is to find talent, QB especially, and I think we let the superior talent evaluator go.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:37 AM   #298
Scalper

Quote:

You can't keep all of them, agreed.
We keep NONE of them.
Those are mostly coaches.
The most stable, consistently-successful franchises have long-term GMs, and long-term coaches. We have neither.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #299
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
At least three of the more promising young coaches in game, Shanny, LaFleur, McVay, were here and left, and we chose Gruden, a mediocre coach at best, instead. We let a few promising young GM or talent evaluators go, while keeping Bruce and Vinny. The only reputable GM that would come here prior to RR was a drunk, McLovin, who was fired for abusing alcohol again. We then just let one of the most promising young talent evaluators in league go, who was admittedly brought in by Allen because he was a son of his buddy AJ Smith, but he does have pedigree and has been performing well. We let him walk to bring in two retreads.

I think the broader point of the original poster is that whenever we begin to sniff success, THE DAN meddles. Given that the one factor preventing success is still in place, THE DAN, the reasonable assumption is to presume it won't work until proven otherwise, because that is the history here. Anything else is irrational. We let the superior talent evaluator go for two guys who are better administrators. Only time will tell, but I think it is a mistake. At no time in the history of THE DAN'S ownership have we drafted so successfully, as the last three years, and letting a key contributor to that success walk seems unwise. We can only imagine where we might be right now if we had let Smith pick a QB instead of Haskins. But I see why RR had to have his own guy, given that he can't trust THE DAN but can't admit this publicly.

I expect Smith to be a GM within 5 years, and one of better GMs in league for a long time. I could be wrong. Time will tell. I expect us to be a solid competitor under RR but not win the SB, or even come close, and to eventually move on from him. I hope we win the SB, FYI. History suggests Mayhew and Hurney will whiff on a QB, as they have previous. I don't think Smith would have had he been given the power to select who he wanted, but we can't ever know for sure.

I like Smith. He isn't a polished public speaker like Mayhew or Hurney, but he seems more like a scout. The single most important skill of a GM is to find talent, QB especially, and I think we let the superior talent evaluator go.
Reasonably ASSume what you want. I choose not to be stuck in the past.

There was no room for KS here. We have grown men running this show now. So KS has an eye for talent. Ok. So do other guys. Maybe he's a GM in 5 years. Good for him. Maybe KS finds Atlanta their future QB (it's a little easier at pick #4). I'm sure you will be singing his praises, and drowning your sorrows, once they draft Z Wilson or J Fields.

Every person who has ever had the responsibility to draft players into the NFL has "whiffed" on drafting QBs.

Looks like Hurney was partially responsible for drafting 4 QBs, one of whom was Cam Newton. That's a 25% success rate - not bad.

Looks like Mayhew was partially responsible for drafting 1 QB while with the Lions - Matthew Stafford. That's a 100% success rate - pretty good.

Looks like Mayhew was partially responsible for drafting 1 QB while with the 49ers - C.J. Beathard. He's still a backup QB in the NFL - good.

This organization has taken several steps forward this year and yet some of you refuse to acknowledge it.

Last edited by Chief X_Phackter; 02-09-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote