F 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #91
los panda
Pro Bowl

Re: Post Draft Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Wow! I had no idea that Matt I. graded that high as a pass rusher. Nice to know he'll be on our side for the next three seasons.
The whole starting d-line, all drafted by us over the past few seasons. Settle could end up being a stud too. I love it.

Draft them, coach them, reward them.

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #92
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I caught the end of who I believe was Dianna Russini interview with the Junkies this morning driving into work. Her contacts in the organization said the draft war room was looking hard at Safeties and Tight Ends prospects but couldn't get either this draft. Interior Oline, Pass Rusher and Wide Receivers were the focus coming into the draft and not necessarily QB.

She said the Haskins pick at 15 caused a lil tension because Sweat was on the board but the move back into the 1st for Sweat killed all tensions and everyone was really thrilled.

Sweat apparently was the choice of mostly everybody, except the most important man in the Organization...Danny.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #93
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I caught the end of who I believe was Dianna Russini interview with the Junkies this morning driving into work. Her contacts in the organization said the draft war room was looking hard at Safeties and Tight Ends prospects but couldn't get either this draft. Interior Oline, Pass Rusher and Wide Receivers were the focus coming into the draft and not necessarily QB.

She said the Haskins pick at 15 caused a lil tension because Sweat was on the board but the move back into the 1st for Sweat killed all tensions and everyone was really thrilled.

Sweat apparently was the choice of mostly everybody, except the most important man in the Organization...Danny.
Gruden all but confirmed that Sweat was their 1st choice at 15. I get why Snyder did what he did. It was a business, talent and need decision, probably in that order. I just hope it all works out. When Snyder gets involved w/ the QB's it turns into a total failure.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #94
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

To be fair, the Redskins just saw what happened to the Giants when they passed up a potential franchise QB in last year's draft. Because of it, they ended up reaching for a QB at #6.

As Andrew Brandt says, Management and Coaches will always have different views when it comes to the draft (future vs. now). And I think the team should be given a lot of credit for being patient and making moves to address the need of both sides.

Also, I find it interested that a lot of the BS that the likes of Junkies were reporting (i.e. trading up, Snyder taking over the draft) probably made Gettleman panic may have contributed to them taking Jones so early. For one, misinformation helped the Redskins in the draft.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #95
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Gruden all but confirmed that Sweat was their 1st choice at 15. I get why Snyder did what he did. It was a business, talent and need decision, probably in that order. I just hope it all works out. When Snyder gets involved w/ the QB's it turns into a total failure.
I not only get why Snyder wanted Haskins, but I'd even go a step further and say that while Gruden probably wanted Sweat at 15, Snyder did the right thing by overruling him. Gruden is coaching for this year only, he doesn't care about the long term, not unless he gets extended. So Dan is right to ignore his voice.

Now if Kyle Smith and Doug Williams are saying go Sweat over Haskins and Snyder is overruling them, then I have an issue. That's where you worry.

And I don't give a shit what Bruce Allen thinks about anything.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #96
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
To be fair, the Redskins just saw what happened to the Giants when they passed up a potential franchise QB in last year's draft. Because of it, they ended up reaching for a QB at #6.

As Andrew Brandt says, Management and Coaches will always have different views when it comes to the draft (future vs. now). And I think the team should be given a lot of credit for being patient and making moves to address the need of both sides.

Also, I find it interested that a lot of the BS that the likes of Junkies were reporting (i.e. trading up, Snyder taking over the draft) probably made Gettleman panic may have contributed to them taking Jones so early. For one, misinformation helped the Redskins in the draft.
And give credit where it's due, Bruce is the king of deflection and misinformation. The press never gets a straight answer out of the guy.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #97
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Im listening to Dianna Russini now on Sheenhan based on folks she talked to in the building: Scouts and folks were told in the building...1. "There were NEVER gonna trade up 2. IF Haskins was there at 15...that's the pick. PERIOD. Dan's call 100% 3. After the draft, the building was really happy with the entire draft.

He Gets Us
Old 05-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #98
Schneed10
A Dude

Credit where it's due to Snyder. If it was him driving the Haskins train, he could have forced a trade up to ensure he'd get his guy. But he didn't, he stayed patient. Remarkable that I'm saying that about him, but if we're being intellectually honest, credit where it's due.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #99
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Diane said this...and this is comforting, Grudan should have the authority to start Keenum over Haskins week 1 and its most likely to happen. Dan will be happy to get "his guy" but Gruden has enough clout to start Keenum as long as he makes the case, Haskins isn't ready. Folks in the building believe Keenum can effectively run Gruden offense over Haskins.

He Gets Us
Old 05-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #100
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Diane said this...and this is comforting, Grudan should have the authority to start Keenum over Haskins week 1 and its most likely to happen. Dan will be happy to get "his guy" but Gruden has enough clout to start Keenum as long as he makes the case, Haskins isn't ready. Folks in the building believe Keenum can effectively run Gruden offense over Haskins.
Personally I hope that the Redskins don't start Haskins at all...what I mean is that I hope that Haskins is brought along slowly, and not rushed like RG3 was.

While I personally was not a big fan of drafting Haskins, I do admit that he has a lot of talent and I definitely want to see him succeed with the Redskins.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #101
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Credit where it's due to Snyder. If it was him driving the Haskins train, he could have forced a trade up to ensure he'd get his guy. But he didn't, he stayed patient. Remarkable that I'm saying that about him, but if we're being intellectually honest, credit where it's due.
To be honest, Dan has done a solid job of late. Even with not budging on Kirk's contract
Old 05-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #102
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Dianna Russini was on Sheehan's podcast today and she stood by her reporting last week. She had atleast two sources in the front office who confirmed the following:

- Regarding Haskins, it was Bruce and Dan vs. everybody - Coaches, scouts, including Kyle Smith.
- Dan wanted Haskins and did take control.
- The staff was frustrated and felt "why are we here providing our advice if he's not going to listen to us?"
- They were resigned to the fact that Snyder was going to take Haskins at 15, so they did not fight it very hard. They knew they were powerless.
- If the football people had had their way, they would have stuck to their board and taken BPA at 15, and it probably would have been a defensive player
- The football people had Daniel Jones as the top QB in the draft.
- Knowing Snyder was determined to take a QB, they did make a push on the day of the draft to convince him and Bruce that Jones would be the better pick, but she is not sure how hard of a push it was, since everyone knew Bruce and Dan would not be budged.

Now on to the good news:
- Bruce and Dan would not have traded up from 15 for Haskins.
- There was a divide in the organization, but its will likely not have any long-term implications. Jay is very well liked and easy going. He does not hold grudges and this will all be forgotten as soon as the media stops talking about it.
- The RG3 disaster still looms over Snyder. Diana does not think he will meddle or push the staff to start Haskins. He will be patient and let the coaches do their jobs.
- Case will almost certainly start.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #103
Warthog
The Starter

For once, I agree with Dan Snyder and the overall decision to draft for a long-term franchise QB over the BPA - Edge rusher Sweat. Gruden is coaching for this year only because he knows he's on the razor's edge. He knows that he will need a strong defense to carry the team and hopefully get him a winning season and an extension to his contract.

The NFL winning teams all have long-term franchise QB. We don't have one and haven't had one for 20 years except for the Kirk Cousins years. But I agree with the team's decision to let cousins go, because he just didn't have that extra factor that makes your team a winner.

I'm not sure about letting Haskins sit out a season. He needs experience badly and that comes from playing. Most of the teams that draft a franchise QB are playing them the first year - even though that means you'll see some ugly rookie mistakes. But then they improve the next season.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #104
Kope
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
To be honest, Dan has done a solid job of late. Even with not budging on Kirk's contract
Agree. I think he started getting better with Gibbs II. No where near good, but improving. Since Jay sat Robert I think the organization has been pretty good, including Kirk.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #105
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope View Post
Agree. I think he started getting better with Gibbs II. No where near good, but improving. Since Jay sat Robert I think the organization has been pretty good, including Kirk.
Good call. I hated it at the moment but it seems to have a been a turning point.