Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

RI: Malcolm Kelly and Phillip Merling

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

RI: Malcolm Kelly and Phillip Merling

Finally, looks like JLC's back to his old self again. (This text should be smaller)

Malcolm Kelly and Phillip Merling

Really gotta be fast on this one - puck about to drop - but making more calls and two names to watch this weekend for the Skins are WR Malcolm Kelly and DE Phillip Merling, team sources said. The team was finalizing trips to Oklahoma and Clemson, respectively, to meet the players one more time before the draft, likely the final visits with players before the draft this weekend.

Kelly bears particular attention. The Skins already brought him in for a visit recently and went out to Oklahoma for his workout. Now, they're going back again. It's looking more and more obvious that their dream scenario, where a tackle like Williams or Albert slips to 21, is out the window. And the ability to trade down out of the pick is largely out of their control, and there might not be a team willing to give up enough to trade up. So they might be stuck making a pick.

Kelly ran a slow time during his workout in Oklahoma, and the Skins no doubt would like to see that improved upon this week. He lashed out at Oklahoma staff and trainers for their handling of his recent injuries and pouted that his low 40-yard time was due to a change of surface. His attitude led him to slip down some draft boards, but the kid is also a playmaker with some talent. He is leading the group of receivers Washington might end up considering at 21, but, again, they'd prefer to pick from this bunch somewhere in the second round instead.

The fact they are going back to see Kelly again was telling to many within the organization. If Kelly was off the board - or slips in the eyes of the Skins at this next meeting - Limas Sweed of Texas and Jordy Nelson of Kansas State are also high on Washington's receiver board, sources said, and either would be a candidate to be selected (Nelson recently visited Redskins Park and came away making a very strong impression, team sources said.

As for Merling, the team's attention has turned away from DT - which Greg Blache considered to be a strong position of need - to DE in recent days, again due to factors beyond the club's control. There is a huge drop-off after the top 3-4 DTs go in the top 10 picks. It's a stretch to take one in the top two rounds for the most part where the Skins pick, though the Skins will likely look hard at Marcus Harrison (Arkansas) around the third round if he's out there.

Merling rates higher than Miami DE Calais Campbell at this point with the Skins, sources said, but again things can change post-workout and as the draft gets closer. Merling slid down some boards after requiring sports hernia surgery, but like Kelly he is a junior with a lot of upside.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: RI: Malcolm Kelly and Phillip Merling

Good stuff. I think what the Redskins are really hoping for would be to fall into the top of the 2nd round and be able to draft something like Jackson and Sweed, take a corner late 2nd and then two offensive linemen in the 3rd.

But, as mentioned, it's not going to be easy for them to trade down. I just hope they don't offer too much in an attempted trade down.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Meks
Pro Bowl

glad Nelson made a great impression, im all about drafting jordy if hes there in the 2nd
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Either way the draft board just got a lot more complicated.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 04-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
81+83+84=Posse
Camp Scrub

He got real pissy there for a bit. Way to much non-football stuff in his blog lately.
81+83+84=Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
SouperMeister
Playmaker

I still say that we must go D-line in the first round and roll the dice that one of the WRs that we like slips.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
I still say that we must go D-line in the first round and roll the dice that one of the WRs that we like slips.
This strategy would be pretty smart, provided the right d-lineman is there for us when we pick. Sticking at 21 and ending up with Merling at least gives you a chance to have a major pass rusher. Trading down, while sensible for filling depth, usually means you miss out on the major pass rushing talent. Of all the gems that can be unearthed later in drafts, pass rushers are the ones that are the hardest to find. Once you get past the first round, it gets very difficult to find a strong pass rusher who can also hold up against the run. This draft figures to be no different, Merling has that upside, but there are questions on guys like Calais Campbell, and after him there's not much in the way of pass rushing threats.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
FRPLG
MVP

I gotta agree. I think we really need long term answers on both of our lines. I believe we can definitely find quality players for the o-line in rounds 2-3 but a good DLineman will be tougher. I guess ultimately we just need to take the best player available that we need at 21 or try and trade down reasonably. Trading down is tough to achieve but it is worth a shot. I keep hoping Albert gets busted for pot in the next few days and slips to us. I'd do a jig. Draft that pot head!
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
That Guy
Living Legend

no dts in round 2? if laws is there with our 2nd pick, you cant pass on him, though that's less likely now. ideally harvey slips, but that's just about impossible now. we really need to pick 17, not 21, to have a shot at premium talent this year.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
SkinsFanSince91
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Finally, looks like JLC's back to his old self again.

Malcolm Kelly and Phillip Merling

The fact they are going back to see Kelly again was telling to many within the organization. If Kelly was off the board - or slips in the eyes of the Skins at this next meeting - Limas Sweed of Texas and Jordy Nelson of Kansas State are also high on Washington's receiver board, sources said, and either would be a candidate to be selected (Nelson recently visited Redskins Park and came away making a very strong impression, team sources said.

Sweet!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanSince91 View Post
Sweet!
Lol, I was about to say. Of all the people that should see this, you would be on top of the list, I was starting to think that you were taking off.

- FRPLG
Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #12
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor
Special Teams

Malcolm Kelly-Our Big Receiver!!

I have to admit at first I wanted Merling but I think that Kelly will be gone before we pick with our second round pick. If these highlights don't get you amped up nothing will. This guy is the truth and does not drop passes.

YouTube - Malcolm Kelly
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #13
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Re: Malcolme Kelly-Our Big Receiver!!

I don't like the guy. Especially with the first.

A lot of mocks have Devin Thomas available at our pick. I like him over Kelly. He is more atheltic but two inches shorter.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #14
steveo395
The Starter

Everybody looks good in highlights. Thats why they call them highlights... but I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him.

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think Thomas is going to either Tampa or Philly

Anyhow, don't you think when someone starts a thread advocating a player they really want to draft that they should at least spell his first name right?