Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

playoff scenarios, what to wish for today

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-25-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
skinsfan1982
Camp Scrub

playoff scenarios, what to wish for today

today, as a skins fan, I think we root for both minnesota to lose, and the bears to lose. Minnesota would be knocked out of playoff contention, and I think the Giants would get in regardless of what happens in Oakland since they wouldn't have to worry about a tiebreaker with a team they lost to. If the bears lose, they would drop to 10-5, but they would win the NFC North with a Minnesota loss. Next week, if Minnesota could beat Chicago in the Metrodome in a game that would mean a lot to Chicago in terms of seeding, Chicago would drop to 10-6. If Tampa Bay and Carolina both lost next week, the NFC South Champion would also be 10-6. If the Giants can lose at Oakland, they would drop to 10-6, and we would have to take care of the Eagles to claim the NFC East. If all of the above scenarios played out, and ONLY if that happened, we could clinch the second seed and have a first round bye.

Althugh ts somewhat probable that both Minnesota and Chicago lose today, Minnesota beats Chicago next week at home, Carolina loses to Atlanta at Atlanta, and Kerry Collins gets revenge on Coughlin and the Giants (especially with their depleted LB corps), I don't see Tampa losing to New Orleans at home, although crazier things have happened (Buffalo beating Cincinnati)

If NY wins next week, the highest seed we can get is a 5 seed, and in that case, it doesn't really matter whether we get a 5 or a 6 seed, what matters is who we match up against. I would prefer to play the Bucs in Tampa, rather than travel up to Chicago or the Meadowlands. If somehow the Panthers were able to win the NFC south, traveling to Carolina would also be a favorable matchup.

Regardless of all the other scenarios, if the Giants lose, and we win, we do get at least ONE Home game.

Most importantly, just to get in, WE HAVE TO WIN IN PHILADELPHIA, because Dallas will not lose to St. Louis.

Last edited by skinsfan1982; 12-25-2005 at 09:15 AM. Reason: giants loss
skinsfan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-25-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
coggs
Special Teams

Re: playoff scenarios, what to wish for today

The scenarios are great, only in the NFL. However, if any skins fan thinks next week will be easy, you are crazy. Philly may be 6-9, but they have been in just about every game. They are a lot better than their record says.
coggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
skinsttw
Special Teams

I think we should not take Philly lightly. Play hard, and we keep the momentum going. Same formula as the past two weeks.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

skins win dalass wins carolina wins next week
Bears drop 2
Giants drop one against da raiders
Redskins number 3 seed
Giants number 5 seed
cowboys number 6 seed(not sure what happens if vikings win out? both would tie the conference record and if it goes to same teams played the vikings did beat the giants so i don't know)
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:19 AM   #5
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggs
The scenarios are great, only in the NFL. However, if any skins fan thinks next week will be easy, you are crazy. Philly may be 6-9, but they have been in just about every game. They are a lot better than their record says.

I don't believe you'll have to worry about the Redskins taking Philly lightly. Gibbs will have them ready to play and he'll stress how important this game is to them.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:23 AM   #6
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Quote:
listen the thing is most of us are still saying 'if'. we aren't really willing to let ourselves to believe this is happening because so many times the skins have been denied. We are seriously scared to say that we will win next week because we feel if we say it it will just go away
Old 12-25-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
hurrykaine
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer
listen the thing is most of us are still saying 'if'. we aren't really willing to let ourselves to believe this is happening because so many times the skins have been denied. We are seriously scared to say that we will win next week because we feel if we say it it will just go away
Share your cautious optimism and I had low expectations of the season when it began (8-8 to 9-7 and missing the playoffs)...but I will feel sick to my stomach if we infact lose next week and Dallas makes it to the playoffs ahead of us. The cowboys were fortunate in their game yesterday, and these rumours of Bill Parcells retiring makes me think they will continue to get calls to go their way in next week's game.

I like the fact that everyone..Jansen, Cooley, Portis etc. have recognized the fact that we are not in the playoffs yet, and Gibbs will surely have them ready to play. If Ramsey starts, Gibbs will be sure to call 60% or more run plays so that Ramsey does not get an itchy trigger finger and throw picks.
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:31 PM   #8
heybigstar
Special Teams

Quote:
Coggs,

Even you guys were able to beat Philly. So we will def. beat them. We wont take any NFL Team lightly. We are from DC, we are better fans, and we arent as arrogant or selfish as people from NY.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
Bozzy
The Starter

look out for philly, they put up some AWESOME numbers against Arizona!

http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/bo...meId=251224022
Bozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
heybigstar
Special Teams

Haha yeah,

they looked real good.....
Old 12-25-2005, 01:23 PM   #11
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Gibbs is no fool, it is good he is giving his players a break but come Tuesday they will be grinding it out at practice.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #12
VishsSkins
Special Teams

I was actually more worried about the philly game than the giants game. I never like going up there to play and was very upset that dallas pulled out that win making next week another must win (STL cant beat anyone). Gibbs will no way play down the importance of the last game and I know we will come out with as much intensity as we have had these past two games. We are so close!!!!!!!!!!!!
VishsSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 01:32 PM   #13
saden1
MVP

Philly is scary...they have nothing to win or lose. A team like that is very dangerous!
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:48 PM   #14
redrock-skins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
Philly is scary...they have nothing to win or lose. A team like that is very dangerous!

Look for lots of trick plays and them going for it on 4th down more often. However, get a nice early lead and none of that matters.
redrock-skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #15
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
see people say that and the thing is going into the last week like we are there are two types of teams, teams that have something to fight for and teams that don't, this game has one of each. i would rather play the one that doesn't have anything to fight for. A few weeks ago we could sleep on a team like the eagles but the thing is being the last week we KNOW we can't