Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The O Line

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
AnonEmouse
The Starter

The O Line

While reading GTripp's reports (props to the guy as they were well readable etc.), I gave thought to the O Line comments.

As I've stated before I don't follow the college game from over here as a) you don't get much coverage and b) it costs!

My thinking is that we need to be prepared for 2-3 of our OL, particularly Jansen and Samuels, to either go down injured (possibly for extended periods as with last year) or retire soon. We may even have to lose 1 or 2 because of cap issues (again I'm a bit ignorant on this one so forgive me if I'm off base).

To me, with Heyer and Rhinehart we may have some depth, but they are not, so far at least, stand outs. Beyond them I feel we only have stand ins, not true replacements.

As I see it we are faced with the possibility of replacing most of our OL within 2 years, if not immediately, and so can we expect to pick up enough talent in the draft or are we stuck with looking at 1 or 2 FA's as well/instead?

With our likely defensive needs elsewhere during the same period, are we going to be able to keep our line intact enough while we rebuild it 'inexpensively' or are we looking at either a lean spell or Snyder spending a lot on FA's again?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: The O Line

I think your timeframe to replace these guys is a little too quick. Rabach is 31, he could have another 3-4 quality seasons left. Kendall is definitely nearing the end at 35, but for now he's still playing at a high level, who knows he could have another 1-2 seasons in him as a starter with the way he's playing. He's at least worth bringing back as a quality backup. Jansen is 32, I wouldn't write him off just yet either. Samuels is 31, he could have another 3-4 quality seasons as a starter no problem. Thomas is 32, again maybe another 2-3 years for him.

No need to panic. We have Rinehart and Heyer in the wings as potential starters, there's time to draft and bring in free agents, and realistically the entire line won't turn over until probably 5 years from now.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

You should always draft atleast 2 or 3 linemen to have Buges coach em up. A star or two will bud. Feeling good about the future baby.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
You should always draft atleast 2 or 3 linemen to have Buges coach em up. A star or two will bud. Feeling good about the future baby.
Which leads to another question, how much longer will Buges be coaching?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

That's a scary question. We can get Russ Grim hopefully.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

As far as Buges who knows? There's no sense in being concerned about that right now.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Samuels will probably be the last of the bunch to turnover. Heyer can handle RT, and Rinehart can handle one of the Gs, but obviously, there's interior line help needed in the near immediate.

I'm not sure there will ever come a day that Heyer can handle LT, so we are likely going to have to spend a high draft pick on a tackle sometime soon. Not this year, or even next year, but when the value is right, it's a legitimate need.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
FRPLG
MVP

We need to add a Tackle prospect in next year's draft as well as a solid swing guard prospect. I think when needed we can look to FA for a center. If we could get those two prospects then we'd have the 5 current starters plus Heyer, Reinhart and the prospects. I don't see Heyer ever being much more than serviceable. He could probably start at RT for a few years for us and we'd be fine. Reinhart could turn out a little better on the interior if one of the other 2 propsects can be dominant and we add a good center in FA then our line is looking solid in 4/5 years.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Larry Michael is Satan
Special Teams

Thumbs up Re: The O Line

I agree with the need to look to the future on the O-line. They are playing flat-out awesome right now, and they are showing what this team can do with a (mostly) healthy O-line. That is why we need to have starter-quality young guys lined up now. Not that it would ever possibly happen, but I would hate to have a serious injury on the O-line and the team start to regress offensively. With the way Campbell and Portis are giving everything they've got, they deserve A-list guys in front of them. Kendall is playing his ass off, but he's 35 and has arthritic knees, let's be realistic. I hope Chad Rinehardt can play at some point, he has been inactive all season. And center, because of the intellectual aspect, is a position where they need to groom a guy for a few years, like they seem to be doing with Blades at MLB. Samuels is one of our best players, period, but blind-side tackle is so important, we need to have our ass covered. LT's don't grow on trees. I hope next years draft is O-line deep. I like Duke Robinson, G from OK.
Larry Michael is Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I would still spend the first round pick next year on the defensive line, all things equal. That's where we need the impact body the most right now, and Demetric Evans (though I doubt he'll sign elsewhere) is a UFA after the season. Jason Taylor will be 35 next September, and it's questionable whether or not Corneilius Griffin will even return.

I think Erasmus James might be able to handle LE next year if Taylor gets hurt, but only if we add an impact body somewhere. Andre Carter is once again among the leaders in pressures and QB hits, but only has 2 sacks because he isn't getting a lot of help from the rest of the rush.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
FRPLG
MVP

I think you have to try and get an impact player in the first round if you can. Good scouting and judgement can identify impact players reliably into the second round. If we can find an impact DL player we HAVE to take him. Then spend our next pick on a good OL prospect. If we can't find a good enough DL player then look for the OL player in the first. We REALLY have to focus on our lines in the next draft. We have to come out of the draft with an impact lineman and two good prospects. We need an LB too but that can probably wait one more year.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Takeuon
Impact Rookie

Heyer became the third player to start at right tackle last season in Week 11 at Tampa Bay. Heyer earned the starting job for the final five games at right tackle and held Pro Bowl DE Michael Strahan without a sack in a 22-10 victory over the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in Week 15. Like to see that same score on the 30th of this month!
Not sure how long we have him signed for but he's a keeper.
#21 Will always be missed. Gone but not forgotten
Takeuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
53Fan
Franchise Player

Got this link from TheMalcolmConnection. Check this guy out. Like to see what Buges could do with this guy. WalterFootball.com: 2009 NFL Draft Prospects - Alex Mack Profile
Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #14
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Gessinger is not bad, we have Devin Clark who could be ok. Next year our top priority; again should be DE, followed by LB and then an OL.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
Ijaeger
Special Teams

We'll pick up quality linemen (on both sides) in the next draft, although I think DB and LB need to be looked at. Another badass corner or two wouldn't bother me too much. As long as the offensive rookies work out we should be set there for a while...but look what's happened there so far

On the O-line, it would be great to bring in young talent to learn from the vets we have now. We all know Buges can bring out anyone's full potential but i think the real question is: how long will Buges be around? He's getting up there in years and he's had a rough year already, but something tells me that Buges will coach until he decides to check in. He just loves what he's good at, my man!

In regards to losing people due to the cap, I ultimately think it would be up to the decision of the player and what he wants to do with his contract. Most of these guys like each other and would probably rather stay here. Every year I hear about how the Redskins are going to be in cap trouble and every year they make it work. Snyder is a business man and has learned to harness his power into keeping cohesion, thanks to Gibbs. So, losing people to cap issues? I honestly believe that it's starting to become somewhat of a wife's tale.
Ijaeger is offline   Reply With Quote