Week 2 - the Rebound

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #76
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: Week 2 - the Rebound

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Ron R played for the 85 Bears and his DC plays a soft zone defense when the game is on the line. Del Rio is no better than Joe Barry or Greg Manusky.
Lol.. Del Rio was the reason why we won NFC East last year - we cannot say the same thing for Joe Barry and Greg Manusky.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #77
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Yeah, that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Del Rio is a much better D coordinator than we've had here in more than a minute.

You know, sometimes a unit just collectively doesn't have a good day; and it's not all that uncommon for it to happen in week 1.

I totally get the frustration though, because if this defense isn't great, the team has no chance until the offense shows it can muster more than 20 points.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #78
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Yeah, that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Del Rio is a much better D coordinator than we've had here in more than a minute.

You know, sometimes a unit just collectively doesn't have a good day; and it's not all that uncommon for it to happen in week 1.

I totally get the frustration though, because if this defense isn't great, the team has no chance until the offense shows it can muster more than 20 points.
good points ... but Del Rio has to show he can figure out how to adjust to our LBs being targeted in coverage and getting QB pressure. I think the problems go hand in hand. Teams are able to neutralize our pass rush bc they can get easy looks/reads by targeting our LBs in coverage.

I really really thought hed sub Collins and Curl in for a LB on passing plays. On 3rd and 16, we dont need Bostic AND Holcomb on the field.

Im so heated at Del Rio but I hold out hope he and RR can figure the 3rd and long.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:45 AM   #79
SunnySide
Playmaker

Additions And Subtractions

Who’s Come: WR Kenny Golladay, TE Kyle Rudolph, CB Adoree Jackson, Edge Azeez Ojulari

Who’s Gone: DT Dalvin Tomlinson

The Giants made good on their vow to add firepower on offense, bringing in Golladay, a legitimate X-receiver, and Rudolph, an established red-zone threat to help the offense in the two areas in which it lagged last season.

Meanwhile, on defense, the Giants are hoping that the addition of Jackson at cornerback gives them what they need to play more man coverage and that Ojulari, the rookie pass rusher, can help the pass rush turn those "almost" sacks into actual sacks.

The loss of Tomlinson can go either way for the Giant. Tomlinson did a lot of the dirty work inside, taking on multiple blockers, which opened up gaps and lanes for guys like Leonard Williams to get home on the pass rush.

But with Tomlinson having departed to Minnesota in free agency, the Giants appear willing to roll with a rotation that will include Austin Johnson, Danny Shelton, and B.J. Hill to fill the void.

If they are healthy—and right now cornerback Adoree’ Jackson is trying to shake off a mild ankle sprain suffered late in the summer—the Giants’ team strength is their defensive secondary, and it’s not even close.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrici...h=46235d8564f6

Scratch nail look at the NYG offseason. Seems they didnt lose many pieces and were able to upgrade at several positions.

--------

We (surprisingly) ran the ball well in week 1 (27 carries, 126 yards).

The Giants are returning basically the same front 7 that held us to 123 rushing yards on 33 carries in 2 games last year.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #80
EdmundDorf
The Starter

B.J.Hill has been traded to Cincinnati, so they are kind of light on the DL now wit Tomlinson gone, Denver managed to run on them.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #81
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post

We don't know what the dynamic behind the scenes is either, JDR may have been begging for more LB help, but RR and the front office just said do what you can with what we have right now. There is no way they couldn't have upgraded from J.Bostic and the bunch of JAGs they have behind him if they really wanted to. This is after all only year 2 of the rebuild, win now is not necessarily a priority.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #82
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
We don't know what the dynamic behind the scenes is either, JDR may have been begging for more LB help, but RR and the front office just said do what you can with what we have right now. There is no way they couldn't have upgraded from J.Bostic and the bunch of JAGs they have behind him if they really wanted to. This is after all only year 2 of the rebuild, win now is not necessarily a priority.
And I would say Davis wasn't anywhere to be seen on those downs either.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:26 PM   #83
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

I was kinda surprised by this.. I guess Davis still has ways to go before he becomes 3 downs player. But then, this is something we should expect from a player who played as starter only for one year last year.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:47 PM   #84
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Ok, I am not QB whisperer. I liked RF, I like TH, I clearly am not educated in the better mechanics of what makes a great qb. With all that said, and knowing rankings are ultimately clickbait stuff, this was what was said about TH in fansided rankings
Quote:
26. Taylor Heinicke
Ryan Fitzpatrick technically started, but he hurt his hip and was out. Washington could be in worse hands, but they could also be in better hands. Taylor Heinicke will not win you games, but he will lose them…
What a useless blurb.

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #85
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Ok, I am not QB whisperer. I liked RF, I like TH, I clearly am not educated in the better mechanics of what makes a great qb. With all that said, and knowing rankings are ultimately clickbait stuff, this was what was said about TH in fansided rankings

What a useless blurb.

Is he a guy or a man or a football player? Nobody knows, really.

The only thing I do know is the legend will grow if he delivers the ass kicking of his lifetime tomorrow night.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #86
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:

He's definitely still learning the position. After seeing him get more and more snaps even in nickel and dime packages in preseason I thought he might be close to ready come week 1, but we'll need to be bit patient it seems.
Look at the Deion Jones, Devin White and Isaiah Simmons of the league... Good MLB seem to start really flashing from year 2.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2021, 12:10 AM   #87
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Just finished watching the Broncos @ Giants game.

What gives me hope:
-their secondary is surprisingly not that good. You'd think Ryan Logan, Jabril Peppers, Adoree Jackson and James Bradberry is a solid SB squad... But yet Bridgewater kept finding guys wide open. Wether they were getting beat, or it was a zone coverage snafu, one guy was always open, especially on 3rd down. Minus one awesome stripped ball by Logan, it would have been 17 - 7 at the half and 34 - 13 at the end.
-I think Heinicke gives us a better chance against this D than Fitzpatrick. They don't have a Joey Bosa, but their front 7 is not to be underestimated, so Taylor's ability to extend the play will be key to find weaknesses in the secondary (Bradberry seems to be their weak link).
-if our DL lives up to what their supposed to be, we could limit this offense the way the Broncos did... But...

What if fear:
-Our LBs suck and are slow, so be ready for some excruciating 3rd and long conversion on the ground by Jones. He ran quite well against the Broncos.
-Our OL struggled and their front 7 is quite solid, Heinicke is gonna have to make plays.

Winnable game for sure. Hope we can exploit that unexpected weakness of their secondary.
Will need our DL to be who we think they are, like, finally. And our LBs to be a little less bad than what we think (Bostic I'm staring right at you).

Old 09-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #88
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Just finished watching the Broncos @ Giants game.

What gives me hope:
-their secondary is surprisingly not that good. You'd think Ryan Logan, Jabril Peppers, Adoree Jackson and James Bradberry is a solid SB squad... But yet Bridgewater kept finding guys wide open. Wether they were getting beat, or it was a zone coverage snafu, one guy was always open, especially on 3rd down. Minus one awesome stripped ball by Logan, it would have been 17 - 7 at the half and 34 - 13 at the end.
Makes me wonder if RR/JDR saw something about Ryan that meant we didn't pursue him ourselves? System CB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
What if fear:
-Our LBs suck and are slow, so be ready for some excruciating 3rd and long conversion on the ground by Jones. He ran quite well against the Broncos.
I really want to see JDR pull 2 if not all LB's on passing downs and use his DB's to defend the WHOLE field, not just the line and the space beyond the chains. We can't give up 3rd and long consistently and win, especially as you say, if Jones does it running (because our LB's can't contain him).
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #89
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Makes me wonder if RR/JDR saw something about Ryan that meant we didn't pursue him ourselves? System CB?

I really want to see JDR pull 2 if not all LB's on passing downs and use his DB's to defend the WHOLE field, not just the line and the space beyond the chains. We can't give up 3rd and long consistently and win, especially as you say, if Jones does it running (because our LB's can't contain him).
Yeah this containing Jones thing worries me. Rivera said in his presser we'll need to keep him in the pocket... Well that'll require some discipline from our DL because our LBs sure won't help with that...

Old 09-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #90
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Both defenses will have to deal with containing the QB in this contest.

I hope J Davis plays a lot. He garnered 56% of the defensive snap counts last week compared to 84% for Bostic. I would like to see that flipped. He would be the perfect 'spy' for Jones.

Holcomb was in on 100%...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote