Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFC EAST Coaching Carousel

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #31
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: NFC EAST Coaching Carousel

Rhule coached OL under Coughlin, so is he truly just a college coach?

I wonder if the college/pro thing is maybe more about whether they have pro experience or not, whether as a coach or player. Maybe just my impression but I get the feeling if a coach has pro experience, particularly as a player, he can make the transition easier than a college only coach. That said, Petitbon, Spurrier and Zorn all had pro playing experience, so maybe I'm way off base!
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #32
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Giants now are trying to say Matt Rhule was never their guy, they had a deal in the works last night with....check google again....Joe Judge?

In a very Bruce move they are snubbing interest Rhule, saying oh no Joe Judge was their guy all along...

give me a fucking break...
Well Rhule apparently got a 7yr 70 million contract. Pretty expensive commitment for an unproven NFL head coach hire.

What a chance for Snyder to become the wizard of the NFC East owners. 3 miserable teams with owners looking to turn around their franchises. Probable Franchise QBs in place, all 3 knew (or should have known) their current coach was out at the end of the season. Fans will have 5 solid years to judge how thw choices ownership made.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #33
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post

I wonder if the college/pro thing is maybe more about whether they have pro experience or not, whether as a coach or player. Maybe just my impression but I get the feeling if a coach has pro experience, particularly as a player, he can make the transition easier than a college only coach. That said, Petitbon, Spurrier and Zorn all had pro playing experience, so maybe I'm way off base!
The difference between college and pro is tied to how much control you have in the players lives. College coaches have near complete say over everything an athlete eats drinks and sleeps. An NFL coach has to deal with established veterans many who make way more then the HC.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #34
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Who lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear you but i felt the same when John Harbuagh was hired. You just never know.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #35
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I hear you but i felt the same when John Harbuagh was hired. You just never know.
+1

I thought the Harbaugh hire was unimpressive too. Shows how much I know.

The Matt Rhule contract is pure insanity for a college HC with no NFL experience though. Anything less than contending every year and he's not worth that price, plus he's setting back future HC contracts a lot.

Article i saw on MSN said Joe Judge was mentored by Belichick and Saban. Sounds nice on paper, but Belichick's coaching tree has never had major NFL success.

The biggest thing that concerns me about the McCarthy hire is how much he spent time learning about analytics after the Packers fired him. He's going to give Dallas a 14 person analytics dept. from what I hear. The key is whether the info coming out of that dept. gets translated to the coaching staff in a manner that allows the team to excel. If McCarthy brushes off the analytics staff they will be a waste of money. For our sake I hope it's the latter lol, analytics can be huge if they're used properly.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #36
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

The Rhule hire smacks of Spurrier and Chip Kelly hires. Specifically with Spurrier it is a new owner thinking the hot college coach can just walk in and make that transition.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #37
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The Rhule hire smacks of Spurrier and Chip Kelly hires. Specifically with Spurrier it is a new owner thinking the hot college coach can just walk in and make that transition.

And the Joe Judge hire happened because no one wants to work for the Bruce Allen of the North.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:44 PM   #38
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post

I agree about the NFL experience. Which is why I question the Rhule hiring. Yes, he coached in the NFL - for one year, as an assistant to the Offensive Line coach in 2012. Not sure this qualifies as the type of NFL experience that leads to success.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #39
MTK
\m/

NFC EAST Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

For every Harbaugh there are several Jim Zorns

Old 01-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #40
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Belichick from the Jets to the Patriots.
I don't know if you can really call Belichick a head coach that switched teams in a division. He never coached a game there.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #41
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Steve Mariucci was one of the strangest college to pro moves when he got the 49ers HC job. His previous head coaching experience was going 6-7 at Cal.
He did ok with the 49ers but not so good at Detroit and ended up with around a .500 NFL coaching career.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #42
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
For every Harbaugh there are several Jim Zorns

Also for all of the Harbaugh comparisons remember that: Andy Reid Coaching Tree (325-289; 2 Super Bowls) is much better than the Bellichick Coaching Tree (133-171; 0 Super Bowls).
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #43
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Also for all of the Harbaugh comparisons remember that: Andy Reid Coaching Tree (325-289; 2 Super Bowls) is much better than the Bellichick Coaching Tree (133-171; 0 Super Bowls).

Don't forget Holmgren(Reid was his QB Coach).

GB and Seattle were both bottom feeders in the NFL till Holmgren took both to the superbowl. Dude doesn't get enough credit for turning around those franchises.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #44
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Wonder why the Belichick coaching tree is so bad? Is the guy micro managing people so the results they are credited with not their own?
Old 01-07-2020, 09:50 PM   #45
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

I just saw on Reddit that Tepper apparently has fuck you money though. Like his net worth is 12 billion and he brings in over a billion a year. Until Jeff Bezos buys a team Tepper is the richest owner in the NFL.

So 70 million isn't going to hurt him, but it will definitely hurt any other owner that doesn't want to spend that much on a coach.