Coaching and Front Office Changes

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #301
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Re: Coaching and Front Office Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think Gibbs filled Rivera in on how to handle Snyder. You have to make him feel included and in the loop. Marty shut Snyder out completely and that backfired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard this too on one of the Redskins based pods, but can't remember which one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 01-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #302
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I imagine my opinion will be unpopular, but I think locking Snyder out is the absolute worst thing Rivera can do.

Right now, Rivera clearly has carte blanche with Snyder, and holds the cards. If he turns around and locks Snyder out, in a few years, regardless of how the team is doing, Dan will get that itch to interfere. IF he has not been involved to that point then he will find back channels to get his point across. And our cycle will reset.

I want Snyder to have an open line with Rivera, and the ability to ask questions, give input and learn to respect how coaches make decisions. Further if he has something or someone he firmly believes should be played, drafted, hired I want Rivera to hear Snyder and work through to the best solution.

I know some owners do best up in the box and never heard, but I don't think that will ever be DS's style so we need Rivera to mentor and coach our owner as well as our team.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Snyder isn’t going to be locked out. I’m sure Rivera will keep him in the loop and to get his “opinion” on issues. My point is that there are no longer sycophants built into the management structure who allowed Snyder to influence football decisions. The Cerrato/Allen VP/GM is now gone. That’s the price Snyder had to pay to get Rivera.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #303
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Manusky getting trolled.

https://sports.yahoo.com/clinton-dix...042342042.html
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #304
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Im curious to see how many snaps Sweat was dropped into coverage. Preston Smith was dropped into coverage a bit yesterday and Im coming to the conclusion that while every D Coord would like not to do that ... sometimes it is inevitable or impossible to 100% have them just rush.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #305
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

I don't think there are any jobs in the world where your boss would be happy with you if you lock them out completely and don't let them know what you're doing. Snyder SHOULD be involved at a high level. He just needs to trust the judgement of the people he has employed and let them do their jobs. So far, he's clearly doing that by letting Rivera let people go that have been BFFs with Snyder for years. Snyder is doing exactly what we've been begging him to do for 2 decades and deserves credit.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #306
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
[Clowney drops into coverage on 3rd and long]

"They call that a Manusky"

The accuracy of this statement is painful.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:58 AM   #307
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Im curious to see how many snaps Sweat was dropped into coverage. Preston Smith was dropped into coverage a bit yesterday and Im coming to the conclusion that while every D Coord would like not to do that ... sometimes it is inevitable or impossible to 100% have them just rush.
Sure. 100% of the time, particularly as a 3-4 OLB, you wouldn't rush 100% of the time.

A Zone Blitz D would have DL drop into coverage routinely.

At the same time, when you draft a freakish pass rusher, you should find a way to have him routinely rush the passer. Instead, for the majority of the first 10 games, when MS played, he was dropping into coverage. When Manusky started having him routinely rush the passer, he started making some noise.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #308
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Sure. 100% of the time, particularly as a 3-4 OLB, you wouldn't rush 100% of the time.

A Zone Blitz D would have DL drop into coverage routinely.

At the same time, when you draft a freakish pass rusher, you should find a way to have him routinely rush the passer. Instead, for the majority of the first 10 games, when MS played, he was dropping into coverage. When Manusky started having him routinely rush the passer, he started making some noise.
Yes, I think everyone would agree that us using hand in the dirt guys like Sweat, Kerrigan, Preston etc in coverage is not ideal, not to their strengths and allows QBs/Coord to take advantage of that when the gift presented itself.

I just want to see the snap breakdown vs fan recollection. We as fans may over emphasis or think "its every time" when in reality maybe it was 30% of his snaps. I bolded the majority part bc we dont really know the numbers. I think its safe to say Sweat was doing more than we would like in the first half and perhaps the second half but I want to see the actual numbers and numbers for other teams as well to compare.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #309
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Yes, I think everyone would agree that us using hand in the dirt guys like Sweat, Kerrigan, Preston etc in coverage is not ideal, not to their strengths and allows QBs/Coord to take advantage of that when the gift presented itself.

I just want to see the snap breakdown vs fan recollection. We as fans may over emphasis or think "its every time" when in reality maybe it was 30% of his snaps. I bolded the majority part bc we dont really know the numbers. I think its safe to say Sweat was doing more than we would like in the first half and perhaps the second half but I want to see the actual numbers and numbers for other teams as well to compare.
From Nick Aldrige at PFF on 12/18/19:
Quote:
Nick Akridge‏ @PFF_NickAkridge
In his senior season, [Montez Sweat] had 14 snaps as an OLB and 347 as a DE.

With the Redskins this year he has 296 snaps as an OLB and 300 snaps as a DE.
So it seems Sweat was dropping into coverage about 50% of the time with little to no experience doing so.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:34 PM   #310
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Those numbers are ridiculous for a non-cover LB. No wonder we generated a poor pass rush.

Well he'll be DE opposite Young come camp with any luck, so it shouldn't be an issue any more.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #311
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
From Nick Aldrige at PFF on 12/18/19:

So it seems Sweat was dropping into coverage about 50% of the time with little to no experience doing so.
We are on the same team, same page and I think share the same sentiment but I must be nit picky here with using that position stat as equaling coverage/rush percentage.

Doesnt an OLB rush the QB?
Doesnt a DE drop back into coverage?
Doesnt the swallow fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
Old 01-13-2020, 01:09 PM   #312
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
We are on the same team, same page and I think share the same sentiment but I must be nit picky here with using that position stat as equaling coverage/rush percentage.

Doesnt an OLB rush the QB?
Doesnt a DE drop back into coverage?
Doesnt the swallow fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?

Are you talking about the African or European swallow?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #313
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Those numbers are ridiculous for a non-cover LB. No wonder we generated a poor pass rush.

Well he'll be DE opposite Young come camp with any luck, so it shouldn't be an issue any more.

Skins were actually 10th overall with 46 sacks

Old 01-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #314
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Kyle Smith has been promoted:

https://www.redskins.com/news/redski...ayer-personnel

Pretty happy with this move. Kyle is a rising star and the team should do anything and everything to keep him.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #315
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Kyle Smith has been promoted:

https://www.redskins.com/news/redski...ayer-personnel

Pretty happy with this move. Kyle is a rising star and the team should do anything and everything to keep him.
Nice. This clears up who will be in charge of free agency this year. If Smith crushes free agency and the draft, i wonder if he gets the GM title, too.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote