Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The McNabb trade: 10 years later

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-17-2020, 10:14 PM   #16
Warthog
The Starter

Getting McNabb was just another Snyder-type, bone-headed move. Bring in a (former) good or very good player, but who now was on the far downside of their career - no longer very good or even good. Donovan was just another guy in the Snyder-era coming here just to “cash out” using Redskin’s money.

There was a strategic plan, perfected by GEORGE Allen in the ‘70’s, to use older FA to build a team. They had older guys who worked together and could win. Unfortunately, trying a similar plan was a total flop from the 1990’s, right when Snyder took over the team. I’m a little fuzzy on the average age of George Allen’s “Over the Hill Gang” FA players, but I don’t think it was a program built with players on their last legs - with just one or two seasons left. Between the 1970’s and when Snyder bought the team, the NFL changed by getting younger, stronger and faster. Few players make it past 10 years.

It has taken 20 years for Snyder to figure out that he needs a coach to create a winning culture and mostly using players who came to the team through the draft. Even most of the FA brought in now are under 30 years old. Only a couple “old timers” like AP are used - and even those guys MUST have some juice in the tank, as well as being good examples and mentors to the young guys. McNabb wasn’t one of those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-18-2020, 06:22 AM   #17
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Re: The McNabb trade: 10 years later

I remember driving home from my wife's house (then girlfriend at the time) and hearing about the McNabb trade on the radio. I called my best friend and told him about it, he thought i was joking.

I remember being excited because i thought that McNabb had enough juice left in the tank that he would be competent for a few seasons. Boy was i wrong. I remember him having like one good game, and then just basically sucking.

And Donovan was beyond shot at the point that he arrived here. Good for Andy Reid for fleecing us. He knew that McNabb was washed up by that point. If I recall correctly, McNabb got one more shot in Minnesota, but he still sucked, so he was cut, and that was the end of his career.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #18
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Someone willing to trade his QB within a division should send up a huge red flag.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #19
EdmundDorf
The Starter

You'd think , of course Dan Snyder is a like a bull, he charges straight at red flags
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #20
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
You'd think , of course Dan Snyder is a like a bull, he charges straight at red flags
Dan was desperate, Mcnabb was just another Band-Aid.. RG3 was supposed to be the savior... Man we've made some Awful QB moves

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #21
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Dan was desperate, Mcnabb was just another Band-Aid.. RG3 was supposed to be the savior... Man we've made some Awful QB moves

And we have been so so close in the draft to at least two HOF'ers ...

1983, Marino fell all the way to the second to last pick Miami ... we took Darrell Green in the last pick of that first round, which was awesome. But can you imagine Joe Gibbs with Dan Marino??? And there's no reason to think Green wouldn't have fallen to us in the second round too. That would have been all time home run ...

2005, Aaron Rodgers falls all the way to Green Bay at 24. We picked Jason Campbell at 25. (And chose Carlos Rogers at 9 earlier that round, to be fair).

What could have been ...
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #22
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post

1983, Marino fell all the way to the second to last pick Miami ... we took Darrell Green in the last pick of that first round, which was awesome. But can you imagine Joe Gibbs with Dan Marino??? And there's no reason to think Green wouldn't have fallen to us in the second round too. That would have been all time home run ...

2005, Aaron Rodgers falls all the way to Green Bay at 24. We picked Jason Campbell at 25. (And chose Carlos Rogers at 9 earlier that round, to be fair).

What could have been ...
Wilson instead of Rg3/Kirk.

Notice the trend? Lol

Old 04-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #23
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Wilson instead of Rg3/Kirk.

Notice the trend? Lol

So we shouldn't draft QB's in the top 5 - 10 ...

Sorry Tua.

lol
Old 04-19-2020, 06:52 PM   #24
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
So we shouldn't draft QB's in the top 5 - 10 ...

Sorry Tua.

lol
Haha yes

Old 04-19-2020, 09:54 PM   #25
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:

What could have been ...

Dan Marino or Aaron Rodgers. Excellent recounting of the HUGE draft misses of that era . Both of those QB’s are/were great and had long careers of winning football.

I remember when we had Jason Campbell - he would have occasional flashes of brilliance but couldn’t carry the team or win the close games. Just good enough to make the team give him a few more games to try to see if he was the franchise leader we needed. We have had a terrible record of drafting QB, with our first pick, since the early 1990’s: Shuler, Ramsey, Campbell, RG3. All total busts, except RG3’s rookie year.

I think Haskins will be a winner if he is supported with the missing pieces to the OL and TE and WR.

Flyboy.

Last edited by Warthog; 04-20-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:58 PM   #26
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Dan Marino or Aaron Rodgers. Excellent recounting of the HUGE draft misses of that era . Both of those QB’s are/were great and had long careers of winning football.

I remember when we had Jason Campbell - he would have occasional flashes of brilliance but couldn’t carry the team or win the close games. Just good enough to make the team give him a few more games to try to see if he was the franchise leader we needed. We have had a terrible record of drafting QB, with our first pick, since the early 1990’s: Shuler, Ramsey, Campbell, RG3.

I think Haskins will be a winner if he is supported with the missing pieces to the OL and TE and WR.

We never had a chance at Marino .. the only team to not have a chance.

But we clearly chose the wrong Rogers at pick 9 ... Carlos over Aaron. Not that we woulda done much WITH Aaron. But maybe.

Our track record with first round QB draftees is a bit worrisome for Haskins. I am hoping for the best and like others here, found his last couple games encouraging, minus the posing for victory selfies with fans ....
Old 04-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #27
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

The Redskins haven't had a franchise QB since Theismann and he retired 35 years ago.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #28
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
The Redskins haven't had a franchise QB since Theismann and he retired 35 years ago.

That’s about right.

Flyboy.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #29
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I bet you could look at 10-15 teams that this also applies to, or at least in part. The curious thing is, with all the expertise that theoretically should be out there in the scouting/GM space, so many teams still seem to trip themselves up with high picks, especially QB. I mean at the time would everyone really have turned their noses up at the likes of Leaf, Schuler, Russell etc.? I doubt it.

I just struggle to fathom how this process fails so (relatively) often. With all the time and money invested...
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #30
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I bet you could look at 10-15 teams that this also applies to, or at least in part. The curious thing is, with all the expertise that theoretically should be out there in the scouting/GM space, so many teams still seem to trip themselves up with high picks, especially QB. I mean at the time would everyone really have turned their noses up at the likes of Leaf, Schuler, Russell etc.? I doubt it.

I just struggle to fathom how this process fails so (relatively) often. With all the time and money invested...
I posted about this one time years ago, how were all of those busts able to fool scouts, NFL GM's, etc...

The answer i was given at the time was that the teams, etc. were aware of the risks and the high probability of failure, but the talent was seen as so immense and rare that it was worth the risk. Take Jamarcus Russell for example. He had arm talent that didn't seem humanly possible. The only other player i have seen in my life with his equivalent arm strength was Jeff George. Looking back on them now, both are considered busts, but i will argue that George had a more successful NFL career.