Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What's wrong with the Redskins?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-17-2009, 04:25 AM   #1
sancho2613
Special Teams

What's wrong with the Redskins?

I found this video on NFL.com here's the link for whoever hasn't seen it

NFL Videos: What's wrong with the 'Skins?

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2009, 04:29 AM   #2
sancho2613
Special Teams

Re: What's wrong with the Redskins?

I difinitely agree with him that it doesn't matter much who's the QB right now cause he's getting any protection and I know it's not something that just happened from one week to the next because I remember you guys talking about this last year why wasn't the O-line fixed?
Old 10-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancho2613 View Post
I difinitely agree with him that it doesn't matter much who's the QB right now cause he's getting any protection and I know it's not something that just happened from one week to the next because I remember you guys talking about this last year why wasn't the O-line fixed?
Because we're not the collective GM's for the Redskins. If we were though the Skins would be a lot better off than they are now. For some reason this board seems to have a greater knowledge of the team than they do themselves.

This site is known for relating to the knowledgeable fan. Looks like the fan has more insight to the team than Cerrato at this point.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
It isn't a glamour position. O-linemen don't sell many jerseys or make flashy headlines.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Because Cerrato is Snyder's bitch, and Snyder is a crazy glue sniffing fantasy football owner. Yeah, I think that wraps it up.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:07 AM   #6
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Because we're not the collective GM's for the Redskins. If we were though the Skins would be a lot better off than they are now. For some reason this board seems to have a greater knowledge of the team than they do themselves.

This site is known for relating to the knowledgeable fan. Looks like the fan has more insight to the team than Cerrato at this point.
I agree 110% I honestly sit back an wonder if vinny knows anything about football sometimes. Let's face it jc isn't a great qb because his overall record shows that, but damn no protection sure as hell isn't helping him either..
Old 10-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Because Cerrato is Snyder's bitch, and Snyder is a crazy glue sniffing fantasy football owner. Yeah, I think that wraps it up.
I'm just imagining Snyder with a fantasy cheat sheet before the draft saying "Now Vinny, I'm looking at my cheat sheet and there isn't an o-lineman in the packet, why would we draft one?"
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Tell us how you really feel???????

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
diehard
The Starter

Neglecting the o-line has caught up with us but, more accuratey, not drafting and developing quality prospects overall have dug us into this hole. And at this point we can not scrap the team. It's not the young players that are holding this team's play and chemistry back. It's the decision of FO and coaches relying on older players too long. Mike Williams, Griffin, Daniels, and to a lesser degree, Randy Thomas, Fletcher and Rabach. Notice that all of these players were FA aquisitions but, the failure of drafting young guys to eventually replace them has doomed the team.

On the flip side, I think we're sitting prettty with our WR corps (Davis included) in regards to the near future. We have to continue to develop these guys. And what that means is, giving them significant playing time and working with what they do well.

Then there's the coach and the WCO...
diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
It isn't a glamour position. O-linemen don't sell many jerseys or make flashy headlines.
There are really probably 2 main reasons:

1) at the high level (1-3) rounds, Cerrato looks to fill one need with multiple picks, for example 2 years ago it was WR.

2) in the rest of the rounds Cerrato looks for multi-positional players, of which the OL usually is not.

Oher would have been a huge jersey seller, and i think jansen and samuels have been too (though i really don't know). but after the top OL prospects are gone, Cerrato severely devalues the rest of the field.

I don't necessarily share the outright disdain, and I would like to see the young guys that we have get the chance to gel and become a solid front. The one disappointment i have is Cerrato also seems to like to go for injury prone guys across the board, because they are usually "value " picks
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

One area we overlook sometimes in light of the obvious issues (OL depth, age, lack of an organizational plan) is our coaching staff. Looking at our coaching staff, outside of maybe 3 coaches (Gray, Olividatti and Steve Jackson) I can't think of anyone that another team would scoop up quickly if they were available. We've got a bunch of coaches that are just 'guys'.

There's a reason Bugel was sitting at home by the pool for years, John Palermo was in college, Chris Meidt was at an NAIA Div.III school, etc. We don't have young, hungry assistants that are cutting edge, we're stale and stagnant (another remnant of the Gibbs 2.0 era that I loathe more and more everyday) and the fact that they were holdovers from the previous coaching staff didn't do any service to Zorn.

For years we've been stuck in the mud as a franchise, surely from above, but also from the aspect of the coaching staff. Hopefully the new regime will bring in an entirely new staff, fresh faces and ideas to bring us current and renew our competitiveness.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Everyone knows the answer, even the pundits on NFL.com...you need to draft good linemen (both offensive and defensive) and then develop them yourself unless you're insanely good at finding cast offs who play great for you (see New England). Who is the best team in the league? hate to say it on this site...but its the Giants why? They have homegrown talent on the trenches, they draft well and then develop.

I want to know how Joe Bugel still has a job...he hasn't had much to work with but it seems like Chris Samuels has gotten worse, Heyer hasn't stepped up, Rhinehart hasn't been developed...that all points to Buges.

Draft and develop linemen, time tested strategy...

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Everyone knows the answer, even the pundits on NFL.com...you need to draft good linemen (both offensive and defensive) and then develop them yourself unless you're insanely good at finding cast offs who play great for you (see New England). Who is the best team in the league? hate to say it on this site...but its the Giants why? They have homegrown talent on the trenches, they draft well and then develop.

I want to know how Joe Bugel still has a job...he hasn't had much to work with but it seems like Chris Samuels has gotten worse, Heyer hasn't stepped up, Rhinehart hasn't been developed...that all points to Buges.

Draft and develop linemen, time tested strategy...
I've said it repeatedly, especially at draft time - great teams are built from the inside out. Chris Samuels is getting older, Heyer is what he is (an undrafted FA), and Rinehart is looking like a division 1-AA reach that is leaning toward bust. You mention the Giants - look at the number of 1st and 2nd rounders they've invested in both the O and D lines. They addressed those needs first, and now are filling out a nice WR and secondary over the last two drafts.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
skinster
Impact Rookie

17 passes in 14 trips to the red zone...wow
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
There are really probably 2 main reasons:

1) at the high level (1-3) rounds, Cerrato looks to fill one need with multiple picks, for example 2 years ago it was WR.

2) in the rest of the rounds Cerrato looks for multi-positional players, of which the OL usually is not.

Oher would have been a huge jersey seller, and i think jansen and samuels have been too (though i really don't know). but after the top OL prospects are gone, Cerrato severely devalues the rest of the field.

I don't necessarily share the outright disdain, and I would like to see the young guys that we have get the chance to gel and become a solid front. The one disappointment i have is Cerrato also seems to like to go for injury prone guys across the board, because they are usually "value " picks
I was being a little facetious, but from what I can gather, o-linemen probably are at, or near, the bottom of jersey sales in general. As for why we don't draft o-linemen near the top of the draft, I wish I knew.