Week 10: Around the NFL - Manning vs. Brady Edition

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
FRPLG
MVP

Re: Week 10: Around the NFL - Manning vs. Brady Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I'm on the fence with that call. If you punt it away the Colts still had all of their timeouts and more than enough time to put a drive together. Ballsy call, but when you have Brady and those WRs I don't have a huge problem with putting the game in their hands.
With that in mind then I'd go for every reasonable 4th down then. I don't care what team you are you don't do something that has the distinct possibility of givng Peyton Manning 2 minutes to go 30 yards to win a game. You have to make it harder. Was there even a remtoe doubt that they'd get a TD there? I tend to agree that the NFL group-think punt on 4th down every time mentality is wrong but I think you just have to punt there.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #17
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
With that in mind then I'd go for every reasonable 4th down then. I don't care what team you are you don't do something that has the distinct possibility of givng Peyton Manning 2 minutes to go 30 yards to win a game. You have to make it harder. Was there even a remtoe doubt that they'd get a TD there? I tend to agree that the NFL group-think punt on 4th down every time mentality is wrong but I think you just have to punt there.
I would have punted too. But whether it's 30 yards or 60 yards, with 3 timeouts and Manning under center, I'm not liking my chances either way.

Especially with the way the Colts offense was clicking and the Pats D was struggling to stop much of anything. Belichick saw the chance to seal the game... it was obviously a high risk/reward situation and he rolled the dice and lost.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #18
rbanerjee23
The Starter

I love that call by belichick...its speaks perfectly to his overconfidence that his team can do anything at will and to just get it shoved up his throat by the Colts..sweet!

I am sure close to everyone on this board remembers the beating this team put on the Redskins 1-2 seasons ago and them just running up the points so any wrench in the Patriots war machine is good to see.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #19
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I thought BB did the right thing. That's why he's a great coach. He doesn't even think about not converting. The refs just dicked them w/ that terrible PI call and the defense was playing bad. I bet he was thinking if Indy scored he'd get the ball back w/ enough time to kick a FG.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #20
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I thought BB did the right thing. That's why he's a great coach. He doesn't even think about not converting. The refs just dicked them w/ that terrible PI call and the defense was playing bad. I bet he was thinking if Indy scored he'd get the ball back w/ enough time to kick a FG.
Then his strategy should have been to just let them score on the first play.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #21
skinsfan69
Living Legend

On a side not isn't it just fun to watch Brady and Manning do their thing? It's no surprise that these two are the best at what they do. I swear these two guys have the best mechanics I've ever seen, great footwork, insane accuracy, great at the play action game, nice throwing motion and pocket pressence. If you take Manning off of Indy they might be a 6-8 win team.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #22
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
On a side not isn't it just fun to watch Brady and Manning do their thing? It's no surprise that these two are the best at what they do. I swear these two guys have the best mechanics I've ever seen, great footwork, insane accuracy, great at the play action game, nice throwing motion and pocket pressence. If you take Manning off of Indy they might be a 6-8 win team.
Forget the physical stuff. Both of these guys drop back and KNOW exactly where the ball is going. They aren't making decisions...they've already made the decision before the snap because they know their offense so well and do so much film work that they what is going to happen. Their physicals are great but their mentals are off the charts.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #23
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Whether you agree or disagree with the call, you have to give Belichick credit for having balls of steel.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #24
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Crap, I went to bed with the Pats up 31-14.

Thrilled that the Colts beat them (when I found out this morning!)
Old 11-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Whether you agree or disagree with the call, you have to give Belichick credit for having balls of steel.
Not really, I don't think Zorn has anything made of steel when he calls stupid plays on 4th down, so I won't give Belichek credit for his mistakes either.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #26
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Not really, I don't think Zorn has anything made of steel when he calls stupid plays on 4th down, so I won't give Belichek credit for his mistakes either.
So you don't think that two fake field goals are not gutsy?

On a separate note, those that criticize Bellichick forget that this guy can do whatever the hell he wants b/c he has three SB rings.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #27
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
No, I give Belicheat credit for losing the game. If ANY other coach makes that call inside their OWN 30 yard line and fails, they get crucified. Why should it be any different for Belicheat???
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #28
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
No, I give Belicheat credit for losing the game. If ANY other coach makes that call inside their OWN 30 yard line and fails, they get crucified. Why should it be any different for Belicheat???
Because he has three Super Bowl rings, that's why. Don't get me wrong, I hate the guy, but the whole allure of his SB wins hasn't gone away yet with the whiny Boston fans.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #29
saden1
MVP

Bad call on 4th down. Don't care how good you are, you kick the ball and let them go the distance. Very bad coaching decision and I'm very happy to see the Pats lose. Looking at the rest of the Colts' schedule they just might go undefeated though I suspect they have more class than the Pats and will probably rest their players towards the end.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #30
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Because he has three Super Bowl rings, that's why. Don't get me wrong, I hate the guy, but the whole allure of his SB wins hasn't gone away yet with the whiny Boston fans.