Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #271
Skinzman
The Starter

Re: Redskins 2013 Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
» Over the Cap- Washington Redskins 2013 Salary Cap Page

Pretty straight review of the cap situation. Not sure what your point is. The rule of 51 is only during the offseason, true, but unless you cut some guy who has a huge cap hit the effect of keeping a rookie is negligible. According to overthecap, there are 5 players who would be a net cap hit of over 500k if released, Griffin, TW, Kerrigan, Kory Licht, and Garcon. Pretty sure none of those guys are getting released. Plus should any release happen after June 1st, they become Jun1 cuts and some of there cap hit is pushed to next year.

As for IR, I am fairly confident that BA has a restructure lined up for both Garcon and TW that just needs a signature if it came to that. Just holding off unless it becomes imperative.
Im not sure why people are saying they dont know my point, and then make the exact same point that I made. The point is, the rule of 51 counts during the offseason, and all 53 count during the regular season.

the point was made that only 51 players count against the cap. I corrected that statement to be a true statement. Which you acknowledge.

Shneed then made the comment that when you cut a vet for a rookie, it is going to always save you cap space, with the exception being 1st and 2nd rounders. That is also not true every time, which I can only assume you will also acknowledge. It was never put to our exact situation, they were generic statements that could lead someone who doesnt know the rule to actually think the incorrect statements are correct. If I had said a factually incorrect statement, someone would have corrected me, and I would be glad that I now knew the correct info.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #272
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Im not sure why people are saying they dont know my point, and then make the exact same point that I made. The point is, the rule of 51 counts during the offseason, and all 53 count during the regular season.

the point was made that only 51 players count against the cap. I corrected that statement to be a true statement. Which you acknowledge.

Shneed then made the comment that when you cut a vet for a rookie, it is going to always save you cap space, with the exception being 1st and 2nd rounders. That is also not true every time, which I can only assume you will also acknowledge. It was never put to our exact situation, they were generic statements that could lead someone who doesnt know the rule to actually think the incorrect statements are correct. If I had said a factually incorrect statement, someone would have corrected me, and I would be glad that I now knew the correct info.
Technically you're right:

- When you have to count 53 vs when you have to count 51, obviously that's 2 more players. The 2 extra that don't fit into the top 51 will be low salary players. Figure $600K in space needed.

- Sometimes low round picks can have a cap number higher than the lowest-paid vet on the team who would get booted. But it's extremely rare. And the difference in $ terms would be minimal. A 3 year vet's minimum salary is about $100 or $200K higher than a rookie's minimum salary.

So when you add it all up, it's a negligible impact. I'd even go so far as to say you're splitting hairs. We may have to clear $500K of cap space in order to accommodate signing the rookie class. But it's definitely not a few million.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #273
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Technically you're right:

- When you have to count 53 vs when you have to count 51, obviously that's 2 more players. The 2 extra that don't fit into the top 51 will be low salary players. Figure $600K in space needed.

- Sometimes low round picks can have a cap number higher than the lowest-paid vet on the team who would get booted. But it's extremely rare. And the difference in $ terms would be minimal. A 3 year vet's minimum salary is about $100 or $200K higher than a rookie's minimum salary.

So when you add it all up, it's a negligible impact. I'd even go so far as to say you're splitting hairs. We may have to clear $500K of cap space in order to accommodate signing the rookie class. But it's definitely not a few million.
Someone saying the top 51 count against the cap and me correcting that is not splitting hairs. I have never accounted for any figures in my responses, so Im not sure why you are adding the its definitely not a few million as that has nothing to do with what I said. I have never said it would be a massive amount of a difference. I have only taken generic statements that werent true and corrected them. If me being technical/analytical makes me a bad person, so be it. Im willing to accept that. Although me being that way, I read your first line "Technically you're right:" and thats all I needed, because to me, thats all that matters.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #274
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Someone saying the top 51 count against the cap and me correcting that is not splitting hairs. I have never accounted for any figures in my responses, so Im not sure why you are adding the its definitely not a few million as that has nothing to do with what I said. I have never said it would be a massive amount of a difference. I have only taken generic statements that werent true and corrected them. If me being technical/analytical makes me a bad person, so be it. Im willing to accept that. Although me being that way, I read your first line "Technically you're right:" and thats all I needed, because to me, thats all that matters.
OK well great. Congratulations and please continue feeling good about yourself. I think what most people care about in this thread is what impact on the cap will signing the rookies have, that's all that matters to most of us.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #275
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
OK well great. Congratulations and please continue feeling good about yourself. I think what most people care about in this thread is what impact on the cap will signing the rookies have, that's all that matters to most of us.
Honestly I understand how the cap works and who counts against the cap, so when you have our space which after all the players are on the books we will be roughly 800k under the cap, the team will most likely want to go into the season with about 2mil in space to handle any moves that need to be made.

So my question was where will that money come from.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #276
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
You're a good numbers guy, and should stick to it lol.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #277
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
You're a good numbers guy, and should stick to it lol.
:confused:
Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #278
Schneed10
A Dude

Not sure what that meant. I was ripping on him for getting into a pissing match that nobody cares about. Looks childish.

Maybe I needed to turn on my sarcasm font.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #279
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Regardless of what is the reality of their cap situation is, this comment from Dwight Freeney's father on the state of the NYG cap status made me smile inside:
Dwight Freeney is still interested in signing with the New York Giants - ESPN New York
Quote:
"His heart is with ... talking to him, he would love to be with the Giants," Hugh Freeney told Sirius radio's Adam Schein. "But the Giants unfortunately ... doesn't have the money for it. They're broke."
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #280
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Here is our division cap spending, and cap space numbers, per overthecap.com.

Team CapSpending(rank) CapSpace(rank)
Redskins $103,089,605(7) $1,272,401(32)
Cowboys $103,119,417(9) $9,711,248(14)
Giants $113,215,133(20) $3,620,069(26)
Eagles $117,541,527(23) $22,668,720(3)

some other notable numbers:
Raiders Cap Spending is the least of all the teams at $65,944,750, but they have $11,088,319 cap space because they have $49,649,972 in dead money. Still, I keep hearing how desperate their situation is, but 11Mill cap space seems like they could do some more this offseason.

The Browns have the most cap space left at $31,854,105, their cap spending is 4th least at $97,453,946.

The top 4 teams with cap space have $102,285,247 in available space, or less than 1M off from our total cap spending.

There are 13 of 32 teams that have less than 5M in cap space remaining.
There are 7 of 32 teams that have more than 15M in cap space remaining.

2 other teams, Dallas and Atlanta, have 103M in cap spending, Dallas has 9M cap space (14 when you add back the penalty), Atlanta has 6M. In my opinion, that shows that the NFLPA cost their players easily 5-10M in cap spending this year by agreeing to our penalty, because no team used all of the added cap, while we certainly would have spent additional, probably up to about 110 to 111M of cap spending. FA Cornerbacks, Safeties and RTs all probably took a significantly lower paychecks by restricting the Redskins cap this year.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #281
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Also, the 103M is based on Rule of 51. 5 guys are tied at #52 on our current roster are:

Tony Pashos
Jerome Murphy
Vic So'oto
Roddrick Muckelroy
Maurice Hurt

and they are all tied at $550K with no dead money. So 2 of those guys would be 1.1M against the cap once the season starts. With Overthecap.com showing us with 1.2M, we could go into the season as everything stands, but would have absolutely no room for the inevitable IR's that happen.