Redskins Salary Cap Status 2018

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #76
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Hernandez won't last until we pick. Picking him in the 1st and your boy Rashaad Penny in the 2nd would work for me. We could use a home run hitter like Penny.
If we get Penny I'd be pumped for our draft no matter who else we got.

If we don't sign anyone else we need to get a RB for sure and a DL or G in 1st 2 rounds.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #77
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
You would have to think they offered him something close to what the Colts did, may be more incentivized then that one but he hasn't taken it. At this point it's got to be in Hankins court. No need to bid against ourselves. He seems fairly methodical in his approach to signing so unless another unseen team jumps in he will probably sign with us around the 15th once he and his agent look over the after draft market.
1000% agree, this is exactly where I see it going.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #78
WillH
The Starter

I agree with you all about Hankins negotiation.

Also, JP Finley and Jay Gruden have both said things insinuating that it's unlikely a deal will get done. It's possible and maybe most likely that they're being straight forward, but I've been thinking this could be a negotiation tactic. If he thinks they really feel they'll be good either way, they probably will give a little. It's nice when we have some leverage for a change ain't it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #79
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
I agree with you all about Hankins negotiation.

Also, JP Finley and Jay Gruden have both said things insinuating that it's unlikely a deal will get done. It's possible and maybe most likely that they're being straight forward, but I've been thinking this could be a negotiation tactic. If he thinks they really feel they'll be good either way, they probably will give a little. It's nice when we have some leverage for a change ain't it?

Yes. It's exactly what he did with Cravens.

"We're not trading Su'a."

Gotta play the game.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #80
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

Gotta play the game.
Yeah.... Kinda like the Giants with Odell huh?
Old 03-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #81
WillH
The Starter

Quote:

Gotta play the game.
Lol... yeah , he played off the sua rumors like "oh yeah I just saw that on the ticker, I'm learning a lot from the ticker these days"

Nice touch.

Jay may have taken his deception game up a level this year.

Either that or Bruce is giving him 0 input or isn't communicating with him about transactions. I very much doubt this, but this is what a lot of people would want you to believe. I get it with the Skins history, and wouldn't put it past them, but somehow I think both Bruce and Dan know they've run out of chances at dictating to a legitimate NFL coach.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #82
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Lol... yeah , he played off the sua rumors like "oh yeah I just saw that on the ticker, I'm learning a lot from the ticker these days"

Nice touch.

Jay may have taken his deception game up a level this year.

Either that or Bruce is giving him 0 input or isn't communicating with him about transactions. I very much doubt this, but this is what a lot of people would want you to believe. I get it with the Skins history, and wouldn't put it past them, but somehow I think both Bruce and Dan know they've run out of chances at dictating to a legitimate NFL coach.

Now that I think about it some more, it's actually pretty plausible. Remember the story about Doug finding out about the Smith trade. "Don't answer your phone." I'll fill you in tomorrow.

He had to talk with Bruce in the morning to find out what happened.

I think it's quite possible that Bruce will listen to Jay's opinion on players, but doesn't tell him before he makes a move like trading Cravens.

That said I'm sure Gruden weighed in long ago and told him I don't know how Su'a can come back to our locker room. If we see Compton challenging him in a video, then Jay sees a lot more.

My guess is Jay didn't know this trade was going down, but he probably wanted it.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #83
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Now that I think about it some more, it's actually pretty plausible. Remember the story about Doug finding out about the Smith trade. "Don't answer your phone." I'll fill you in tomorrow.

He had to talk with Bruce in the morning to find out what happened.

I think it's quite possible that Bruce will listen to Jay's opinion on players, but doesn't tell him before he makes a move like trading Cravens.

That said I'm sure Gruden weighed in long ago and told him I don't know how Su'a can come back to our locker room. If we see Compton challenging him in a video, then Jay sees a lot more.

My guess is Jay didn't know this trade was going down, but he probably wanted it.
It's possible, but the reason I don't think this is what's going down is that people have suggested the same about Jay not having much notice or choice about the Alex Smith trade based on a couple of comments he's made. The thing is Jay stood his ground with the Cousins vs RG3 decision despite his predecessor losing his job over it. Why would he now be ok with being told who his QB would be? I don't buy it. That said, the other possibility is that he is comfortable with the decision making process they've got and is on the same page with Bruce but leaves it up to him to get done what is possible based on everyone's input. If that's the case, then I see no problem with the approach.

Of course, the anxiety riddled Redskins fan in me says Jay may not be happy but is gutting out for as long as he can to build a resume.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #84
Schneed10
A Dude

You make a good point Will.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #85
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

I have a question for you Schneed (or somebody else well aware of these cap matters):

Per OTC, the Skins will have 23M cap space available in 2019 (1.4M per spotrac. They assume 2019 salary cap to be 177M, same as 2018, OTC assumes 190M, which seems more plausible, spotrac includes Scherff's 12.5M 5th option in their calculation, OTC doesn't, which also makes more sense IMO).

Both cases, the Skins will be bottom of the league in cap space available (29th per OTC, 30th per spotrac).

My question is: if we extend players this season (for say, Brandon Scherff), at what point do we have to be under 2019 cap? Are we allowed to sign contracts that would put us over the cap in upcoming years, and find ways to get back under the cap when time comes?

The Jags will be way over the cap in 2019 (16M per OTC, 44M per spotrac), so this has to be legal but the Skins cautious approach in FA made me wonder about this.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #86
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I have a question for you Schneed (or somebody else well aware of these cap matters):

Per OTC, the Skins will have 23M cap space available in 2019 (1.4M per spotrac. They assume 2019 salary cap to be 177M, same as 2018, OTC assumes 190M, which seems more plausible, spotrac includes Scherff's 12.5M 5th option in their calculation, OTC doesn't, which also makes more sense IMO).

Both cases, the Skins will be bottom of the league in cap space available (29th per OTC, 30th per spotrac).

My question is: if we extend players this season (for say, Brandon Scherff), at what point do we have to be under 2019 cap? Are we allowed to sign contracts that would put us over the cap in upcoming years, and find ways to get back under the cap when time comes?

The Jags will be way over the cap in 2019 (16M per OTC, 44M per spotrac), so this has to be legal but the Skins cautious approach in FA made me wonder about this.
You have to be under the salary cap for any year at the start of the league year.
So we could have contracts that put us 100M over the 2019 cap in February 2019, but by 4pm March xx, 2019, we would have to be under the cap.

Miami for example was 10M over the cap before March 4th(?) but at 4pm, they were under the cap.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #87
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
You have to be under the salary cap for any year at the start of the league year.
So we could have contracts that put us 100M over the 2019 cap in February 2019, but by 4pm March xx, 2019, we would have to be under the cap.

Miami for example was 10M over the cap before March 4th(?) but at 4pm, they were under the cap.
Makes sense, thanks!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #88
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

yup
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #89
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

OTC says we have 11M+ available, Spotrac says 13M+, Schneed, which one would you say is accurate ?

EDIT: The discrepancy comes from the fact OTC gives all teams a 177M+ cap space, and Spotrac 178M+. NFL.com says it's 177.2M so OTC seems to be more accurate.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #90
EdmundDorf
The Starter

That's interesting, yesterday after cuts they had us at 16M+....... have they spent some money I wonder.
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote