Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Salary Cap & Free Agency 2009

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

The Salary Cap & Free Agency 2009

I'm starting this thread as a place to hold any new information from news & insider sources regarding the Redskins' likely approach to free agency, which of course goes hand-in-hand with the current salary cap status. If you read/hear anything, feel free to post here.

From JLC on Redskins Insider:

Quote:
The more people I talk to, the less I expect the team to make any huge splashes in free agency - some in the front office would be stunned if the budget included room for a Jordan Gross (Carolina tackle), for instance, and the draft is the place to do it, anyway.
Redskins by Position: Offensive Tackles - Redskins Insider

Advertisements
Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: The Salary Cap & Free Agency 2009

That note from JLC jives with what I'm seeing in the salary cap numbers. The Redskins could make a splash in free agency if they really wished, but doing so would require the team to part ways with several veteran players.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

I would love a starting RT with the 13th pick. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I still think they'll make one or two (probably just one) big free agent move. But most of their efforts are going to be spent stockpiling on draft picks in 2009, even if that means sacrificing picks in future years. This is a make or break year for Cerrato and he's not really going to be thinking that much about 2010 or beyond if he's not going to be running the football ops here anyway.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Coff
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I still think they'll make one or two (probably just one) big free agent move. But most of their efforts are going to be spent stockpiling on draft picks in 2009, even if that means sacrificing picks in future years. This is a make or break year for Cerrato and he's not really going to be thinking that much about 2010 or beyond if he's not going to be running the football ops here anyway.
How true is that, though? From what I remember, JLC speculated that Cerrato could be on the chopping block, but has that been corroborated anywhere else?
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
How true is that, though? From what I remember, JLC speculated that Cerrato could be on the chopping block, but has that been corroborated anywhere else?
Well what I heard last off-season was that the plan was for Cerrato to move to a more corporate role with the Redskins (and possibly other Snyder) properties within the next couple of years.

But there is a lot of buzz that he may just be gone altogether. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that he probably said "if I'm not on the football side, I don't know there's a place for me here." I don't know all the specifics.

The problem is that no one really knows what the metrics are for it be considered a successful year for VC in 2009. Only Snyder really knows I suppose.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Cerrato himself said in an interview that he and Zorn had TWO years. This is the start of year two. I see no reason why Cerrato would volunteer that he only had two years if it wasnt the truth.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Well what I heard last off-season was that the plan was for Cerrato to move to a more corporate role with the Redskins (and possibly other Snyder) properties within the next couple of years.

But there is a lot of buzz that he may just be gone altogether. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that he probably said "if I'm not on the football side, I don't know there's a place for me here." I don't know all the specifics.

The problem is that no one really knows what the metrics are for it be considered a successful year for VC in 2009. Only Snyder really knows I suppose.
That's the million dollar question. I don't know how to really feel about our team right now. Part of me thinks we have the talent to compete at a high level and win a SB...the other part is convinced we (fans and the organization) have vastly over-rated our talent levels.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:

where did you hear this? I'm fairly new here, so i apologize for my ignorance, but do you have some sort of insider connection at redskins park or is this just stuff you and your friends have discussed that has no basis in fact, but is just speculation. Obviously, if what you say is true, then its great news, but i dont want to get my hopes up if its just speculation.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:

I never thought I would say this but I am prepared to go 2-14 if that's what it takes to get Vinny out of here. I believe we would be better off in the long run then winning 9 or 10 games and saving his job.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
where did you hear this? I'm fairly new here, so i apologize for my ignorance, but do you have some sort of insider connection at redskins park or is this just stuff you and your friends have discussed that has no basis in fact, but is just speculation. Obviously, if what you say is true, then its great news, but i dont want to get my hopes up if its just speculation.
My friends are insiders
Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

But I don't count Snyder and Cerrato among my friends, so my "insiders" are only so inside
Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
SS won't say it out of modesty but he works for the four letter and worked in DC sports journalism/media for a good time I believe. He knows people who know these things. It's why we pay him top dollar.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
That note from JLC jives with what I'm seeing in the salary cap numbers. The Redskins could make a splash in free agency if they really wished, but doing so would require the team to part ways with several veteran players.
I am TOTALLY in favor of taking a hard look at everyone on this team, especially the "high dollar" vets. We DON'T need to do a bunch of knee jerk stuff, entertain the notions that successful teams employ as routine:

What is the $$ for this guy, now and tomorrow?
Can be Traded?
What is the contribution level to team success?
Prospect for future?
Age?
Etc?

We may find a little house-cleaning and fresh approach is beneficial......
HTTR
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
dmek25
MVP

the biggest factor is how close the people calling the shots think the redskins are to being a upper echelon team. hopefully, they aren't fooling each other