Is Springs lacking Heart??

Thread Hell

Old 10-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #31
DaveyFoSho
Special Teams

Re: Is Springs lacking Heart??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
It's nothing personal Davey. It's just that we're sitting at 4-2 after 2 big road wins against 2 of our biggest rivals and it seems like every other post is questioning somebody on this team. Springs has missed alot of games and it gets frustrating but I don't think his heart is the issue. Without the turnovers against the Rams, we'd be sitting at 5-1. Not bad for a bunch of heartless-washed up-lost a step-injury prone-slippery handed players who should be cut or benched.
I lol'd.

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #32
HipHipHooray
Camp Scrub

And my opinion if he only plays two games a year and shuts down TO then I am happy.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:04 AM   #33
DarkKnight
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyFoSho View Post
Why is he constantly out week after week with some stupid calf injury? Every week we hear, oh I am more concerned about this guy or this guy, yet it is Springs the one to sit out or leave after the first half. This week everyone was very concerned with Smooty, yet he is out there practicing. Ill never forget the year before he left when he had that shoulder injury, but still stuck some big WR for a great open field tackle.

So my question is.... Where is Springs' heart?
Dude thats dumb........did he not beat up T.O in the Dallas game......he stepped up and jammed him like hell.......dont question his heart......next Thread Please
Old 10-18-2008, 05:30 AM   #34
rypper11
The Starter

I think that when SS is slowed by an injury he doesn't want to hurt the team. Think about the position he plays. It would be easier to play with a broken forearm than a "tweaked" calf or hamstring. If he played the 2nd half against Dallas or the Giants game and got torched because he couldn't keep up with the wr we'd all be wondering why he was in the game.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #35
dmek25
MVP

i just think there are certain players that have no problem playing hurt. and others that will not play unless they are 100%. i think Springs wants to perform at peak performance. and if he cant, he doesn't play
Old 10-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #36
jgalecpa
Special Teams

I'm not a doctor, and don't know if any of the poster's to this thread are,

However, it seems your legs are the most important part of your body if your job is to put yourself in position to cover a streaking receiver.

The effect of any injury in the legs would have a magnified effect on his ability to cover.

I don't doubt his heart.

His legs may doing what my legs do every time I run, but I don't doubt his heart.

J-Dawg.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #37
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyFoSho View Post
If anything his father's situation would prove my point? Perhaps his mind is elsewhere? Christ you post a simple opinion and you get attacked and called ignorant....... Cool.....
dont worry man, your not the only one who thinks one or two players on our 53 man roster lack that certain 110% drive and dedication. but there is no stat for "heart" so unless a player pulls a shawn andrews or michael westbrook then there is no real proof to support your feeling.

i dont think springs is as dedicated to this team as i would like (i demand 110% thoo which you cant reasonably expect from every player) and his feelings that he was going to be cut or released at the end of last season may have some lingering effect as well as he refusing to take a pay cut like the skins asked.

if there were big rumors that your company was going to get rid of you and asked for a pay cut to the point you were saying good bye to your co-workers at the end of the fiscal year, do you think this would play alil bit on your psyche next year?

did we forget the off-season comments between skins and springs? did he not say he didnt think he was coming back next year?

all this said, shawn springs is a professional and comes plays 100% when he is on the field. reasonable minds can disagree on whether he lacks that extra 10% needed to become a team leader and champion.

OP - to make a thread of your type you need to come with more than just gut feelings, unfortunately this topic is subjective and non-quantative so its hard to discuss beyond opinions.

go skins!!!

ps - dont jump on me, like the OP i like springs and believe he plays like a true professional at 100% when some players might lack that professionalism needed after last season.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #38
SeasonTicketHolder
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
dont worry man, your not the only one who thinks one or two players on our 53 man roster lack that certain 110% drive and dedication. but there is no stat for "heart" so unless a player pulls a shawn andrews or michael westbrook then there is no real proof to support your feeling.

i dont think springs is as dedicated to this team as i would like (i demand 110% thoo which you cant reasonably expect from every player) and his feelings that he was going to be cut or released at the end of last season may have some lingering effect as well as he refusing to take a pay cut like the skins asked.

if there were big rumors that your company was going to get rid of you and asked for a pay cut to the point you were saying good bye to your co-workers at the end of the fiscal year, do you think this would play alil bit on your psyche next year?

did we forget the off-season comments between skins and springs? did he not say he didnt think he was coming back next year?

all this said, shawn springs is a professional and comes plays 100% when he is on the field. reasonable minds can disagree on whether he lacks that extra 10% needed to become a team leader and champion.

OP - to make a thread of your type you need to come with more than just gut feelings, unfortunately this topic is subjective and non-quantative so its hard to discuss beyond opinions.

go skins!!!

ps - dont jump on me, like the OP i like springs and believe he plays like a true professional at 100% when some players might lack that professionalism needed after last season.
good post
Old 10-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #39
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

I'm a big Springs fan as well. With the exception of London (and maybe psycho Horton) he's the best player on our D.

But I have finally come to the realization that he just can't be counted on. Maybe he'll play, maybe he won't...

I think we're best off saving him for the big games. Let him sit against the Clevelands and Detroits of the world, and hopefully he'll be 100% for the big division games down the stretch.

Last edited by CrazyCanuck; 10-20-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #40
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Springs isn't lacking heart. He just can't stay healthy anymore. Why would we want a starting corner out there w/ a bad calf? I think it's time to move in another direction next year.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #41
Takeuon
Impact Rookie

I don't question his heart or his lack of wanting/wishing he could play more. But I don't think there is anything wrong with suggesting we look at trading or letting him go. I'm not sure what we're paying him. But he really is has been injured for a good portion of his tenure with us. While he contributes when he's on the field and playing....I'm not sure it warrants keeping him around.
#21 Will always be missed. Gone but not forgotten
Old 10-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #42
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Springs isn't lacking heart. He just can't stay healthy anymore. Why would we want a starting corner out there w/ a bad calf? I think it's time to move in another direction next year.
You are correct! It matters not, the why. You are either suited up every oppurtunity ready to deliver "the best you can be", or you are not. When the not becomes a habit.......change is due. It's due
Carlos and Smoot are probably the "every Sunday" tandem until addressing it in the off-season
Old 10-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #43
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

Shawn Springs has two years left (including this year) on what is his gold mine contract. I'm sure he doesn't want to aggravate any injuries that would prevent him from collecting the 8 mil or so that he gets in 2009.

Does he lack heart? Yeah, I would say so if your definition of heart is playing when you're a little dinged up. The guy has always been a #1 talent but let's be clear - he isn't the quintessential team-first balls to the wall guy.

He is an extremely talented player who has managed his career safely and maximized his financial returns.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #44
GoSkins!
The Starter

I don't know what his injury really is, but he seems to miss time for a lot of things that seem minor and other players on the team play with. This past Sunday C. Rogers and J. Taylor were playing with calf problems. Griffin was playing with a bad shoulder. Maybe I'd feel different if I heard the coaches say that Springs was dying to get on the field but they were having to keep him out.... but that doesn't seem to be the sentiment around the park.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #45
#56fanatic
The Starter

When springs plays our D is that much better. According to reports its a pretty bad strain or the muscle and as a corner or any position for that matter, the calf muscle is pretty important. I would rather him being out now with the bye week coming up than not having him down the stretch. I think with the position we are in right now, and how well the D has played we have that ability to sit him out until he is 100% and have him ready when we get towards the end of the season. To say he lacks heart....not sure how that is warranted.