Supreme Court vacancy

Debating with the enemy

Old 07-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #31
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Supreme Court vacancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
They did, just as the Dems took a huge chance by assuming it would be HRC making the picks and not putting up a bigger fight over the block
But the Republicans had to know the risk based on all the polling was much larger for them. In fact the Democrats probably loved the thought that HRC would put a replacement candidate up, and the Republicans would have no out on it.

Seems like the major risk was on the Republican side.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #32
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
But the Republicans had to know the risk based on all the polling was much larger for them. In fact the Democrats probably loved the thought that HRC would put a replacement candidate up, and the Republicans would have no out on it.

Seems like the major risk was on the Republican side.

No doubt, the risk paid off, and the Dems slept on Trump and lost bigly
Old 07-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #33
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
How is it wrong for a sitting president to ask a resigning Justice who he would favor for his replacement?
I respect you to much to believe you are as naive as you are pretending to be.Be respectful.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #34
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I respect you to much to believe you are as naive as you are pretending to be.Be respectful.
G1 with so many conspiracy theories pushed by the mainstream several times a week, it’s easy to manipulate headlines to make up stories that simply aren’t there.

It’s been out of control of conspiracy theories with this Supreme Court event the last couple weeks...let’s be honest. And what is even more hilarious is people actually believe trump would have the capacity to mastermind it. Really folks?

I’m really surprised some buy into it...it’s on the same level as birther conspiracies.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #35
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
G1 with so many conspiracy theories pushed by the mainstream several times a week, it’s easy to manipulate headlines to make up stories that simply aren’t there.

It’s been out of control of conspiracy theories with this Supreme Court event the last couple weeks...let’s be honest. And what is even more hilarious is people actually believe trump would have the capacity to mastermind it. Really folks?

I’m really surprised some buy into it...it’s on the same level as birther conspiracies.
I really am lost on this one. What is Trump supposedly masterminding by allowing a retiring justice have a say in his replacement.

I would get it if there was an implication Trump forced Kennedy to resign. But everything I see seems to go to Kennedy forcing Trump to nominate Kavanaugh, and Kennedy's son loaning money to Trump. Unless the claim is that justice Kennedy is a dirty judge or that Kennedy is trying to protwct his son, thats all bass ackwards of Trump masterminding some dasterdly plot.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #36
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

Then you haven't payed attention to your tangerine president.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #37
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I really am lost on this one. What is Trump supposedly masterminding by allowing a retiring justice have a say in his replacement.

I would get it if there was an implication Trump forced Kennedy to resign. But everything I see seems to go to Kennedy forcing Trump to nominate Kavanaugh, and Kennedy's son loaning money to Trump. Unless the claim is that justice Kennedy is a dirty judge or that Kennedy is trying to protwct his son, thats all bass ackwards of Trump masterminding some dasterdly plot.
Trump never forced to Kennedy to resign, there was never a back room deal for Kennedy to pick his replacement, no Kennedy son and cash payment/loan has nothing to do with anything and no there isn’t any dark money involved in the process.

All conspiracy theories pushed by mainstream media sources this past 10 days that people somehow continue to buy into.

Last edited by Chico23231; 07-11-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #38
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Trump never forced to Kennedy to resign, there was never a back room deal for Kennedy to pick his replacement, no Kennedy son and cash payment has nothing to do with anything and no there isn’t any dark money involved in the process.

All conspiracy theories pushed by mainstream media sources this past 10 days that people somehow continue to buy into.
Look who is in denial right now?! #triggered
Old 07-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #39
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Look who is in denial right now?! #triggered
Im not mad about it...but it just continues to prove that major news sources continue to develop false narratives that now are moving into conspiracy theory zone. I never thought Huff Post/Politico/Yahoo new was "Infowars" territory but they certainly have changed my mind this week. They are certainly on the same level now.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #40
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Im not mad about it...but it just continues to prove that major news sources continue to develop false narratives that now are moving into conspiracy theory zone. I never thought Huff Post/Politico/Yahoo new was "Infowars" territory but they certainly have changed my mind this week. They are certainly on the same level now.

LOL, sure you're not. That's why all of a sudden "news source's " you respected are now crap becuase they don't fit your narrative ,don't look now but that is a trump cult thing to do .
Old 07-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #41
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
LOL, sure you're not. That's why all of a sudden "news source's " you respected are now crap becuase they don't fit your narrative ,don't look now but that is a trump cult thing to do .
Conspiracy theories aren't news...its gossip and tabloid. Belongs on a news stand next to the National Enquirer.

If you chose to trust these sources as legitimate news then maybe you rethink some things.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #42
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I'm just saying that the whole scenario as laid out doesn't make logical sense, unless you assume one of our top 9 justices is corrupt. If someone wants to lay out the thought process in a coherent manner I would really appreciate it.

Mooby has presented the very plausible idea that Mueller's probe is looking into Deutsche Bank ties with Trump to Russia, where Russia then exerts influence over Trump and Trump in turn has been acting on it rather than using the full power of the US to stop it. Ok. If evidence is turned up proving this, then Trump should be impeached.

So let's assume that this (or something of this nature) is the underpinning of all of the Trump investigation and that Trump is indeed worried there is something there. Then Trump would have it as a goal to get a Justice on the court to go along with protecting him. OK, so if you then assume that Kennedy's son is not only privvy to shady dealings but implicit in them, that would give you a path to get from Trump/Russia to Trump/Kennedy.

BUT at this point, even if ALL of that is true, you have to then say we have a respected SC Justice who is willing to be complicit in this by peacefully resigning, instead of using his immense authority and powers and/or notifying the ongoing special prosecutor, with the direct purpose of allowing corruption to continue in the presidency and by saying who he thinks would best go along with it, in the SC as well.

Somewhere I am missing a logical connection that makes the thread substantive. I don't for a minute accept the idea that Justice Kennedy would sacrifice the SC and his own legacy for a President, especially if he believed that President to be corrupt.

Last edited by CRedskinsRule; 07-11-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #43
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Conspiracy theories aren't news...its gossip and tabloid. Belongs on a news stand next to the National Enquirer.

If you chose to trust these sources as legitimate news then maybe you rethink some things.

Chico, DENIAL isn't just a river in Egypt any more.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #44
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
How is it wrong for a sitting president to ask a resigning Justice who he would favor for his replacement?
I don't know of any rule or ethical requirement that would prohibit such a conversation. I believe, however, that justices are supposed to remain removed from the selection process in order to preserve the court's impartiality in the country's political process. Separation of powers and all that.

(Strictly speaking, under Article II, section 2 of the Constitution, Supreme Court justices are appointed by the President "by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate," not other judges.)
Old 07-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #45
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I don't know of any rule or ethical requirement that would prohibit such a conversation. I believe, however, that justices are supposed to remain removed from the selection process in order to preserve the court's impartiality in the country's political process. Separation of powers and all that.

(Strictly speaking, under Article II, section 2 of the Constitution, Supreme Court justices are appointed by the President "by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate," not other judges.)
Ok. But as I understand it you kinda practice law or something.

So, if a lawyer in a department is leaving, and the boss wants that lawyer's opinion on who might be a good replacement, is that ethically wrong to ask? Would you assume sinister intent if you were asked?