Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

"Jason Campbell struggles against the Steelers"

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: How Many Regular Season Games Will Jason Campbell Start?
1-5 18 15.25%
6-10 16 13.56%
11-16 84 71.19%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #46
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: "Jason Campbell struggles against the Steelers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
The fact that we ran effectively on the Steelers' starters is a much better sign than Campbell's 1-7 is a bad one. We're still a Clinton-Portis-first team. We need to be able to go to our bread and butter more than anything, and that looked good.

If we want to do damage in the playoffs the passing game has to step up, but I think we'll get there.
Good point, the strong suit of the offense is the run blocking and Portis getting consistent positive yards...that was reassuring.

I did like the attempts down the field, that first one Kelly had beat coverage, JC waited a little late to let it go...next week will be crucial to see progress in the offense. We will get a chance to see if offense can get some rhythm. 3 points for the starting offense in two preseason games does not show the kinda growth I expect at this point.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #47
redskinsgirl
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
Ummmm.... Collins moved them into field goal range against the Ravens and then Davis fumbled. I like his decision making and he is throwing accurate balls. Thomas let him down and Hackett should have made that play too.

Pinapple Judas marched them down to the 11 before the pick. I thought he put together a nice drive up to that point. He also had a long first down play against Baltimore before it became 2 mississippi.

Are you watching the games?
Yes I have been watching the games and none of the QBs(with the exception of Daniel) have looked good.
redskinsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #48
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinsgirl View Post
Yes I have been watching the games and none of the QBs(with the exception of Daniel) have looked good.
Which would imply that the problem is not the QBs (or the offensive line), but who would that leave?

Oh, right.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #49
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I'm pretty sure preseason performances are the exception, not the rule.

I'm saying it's a stretch to draw any conclusion from a one quarter performance in the preseason, and that consequently, I decided not to break down Campbell's mechanics on film. Don't forget that I've broken him down for a season and a half prior to this, he's not a green as grass rookie. If his experience is reason to conclude suckiness from seven passes, I want no part of this discussion.

Had Campbell been 6 for 7 for 115 yards, I would of politely pointed out he did well and moved on. It's not worth harping on because he's got to do it over 35-40 passes, no quarterback is graded by what the do in the first quarter of any game. In this respect, Jason Campbell has nothing to prove to anyone during the preseason (which is not to say he shouldn't be getting more reps).

Collins is showing me something, but there will not be a benefit to playing him ahead of Campbell. There's not one thing he does better than Campbell, and he's 38, so it's not like we have a viable potential 2010 starter in him. His presence on the roster is injury-related at best.
I know that Campbell does everything mechanically better and if you look at my first post, I am not calling for a QB change. You may feel that you are above this discussion because of your film study but the bottom line is that he needs to produce. The second half of last year he had poor production and the first two games of the pre-season, he has had poor production. I am getting tired of excuses. Btw, has he ever been 6-7 for 115 against a good defense?
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #50
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Ok, well that is a statement based on your opinion and I am not going to try and change your opinion. Your "facts" in the last post were flat out wrong.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #51
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
I know that Campbell does everything mechanically better and if you look at my first post, I am not calling for a QB change. You may feel that you are above this discussion because of your film study but the bottom line is that he needs to produce. The second half of last year he had poor production and the first two games of the pre-season, he has had poor production. I am getting tired of excuses. Btw, has he ever been 6-7 for 115 against a good defense?
I don't feel like I'm above this discussion, but if it devolves into a stupid comparison of what other quarterbacks did in their meaningless quarter of work, I have nothing of substance to add to a substanceless argument.

And yes, he has had 6-7, 100 yd stretches before against defenses like the Giants and Cowboys. As has Todd Collins. It's not a special accomplishment.

The problem is that Jason Campbell is being put on a "needs to produce" pedistal. Duh. So does everyone else. If other people are not producing, his job becomes more difficult. London Fletcher is under a ton of pressure to produce this year. Albert Haynesworth is probably under twice as much pressure as Fletcher. Both of them were involved on more plays yesterday than Campbell. And yet, not one thought about them?

There's other things to football besides harping on a meaningless sample performance by the QB. You and I know that. A few others do not seem to.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #52
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Remember people wanted Gus and where is he now, he's not with us and he's a Journey man. JC is the answer. I think Chase will be good but don't rush him.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #53
redskinsgirl
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Ok, well that is a statement based on your opinion and I am not going to try and change your opinion. Your "facts" in the last post were flat out wrong.
What QB (besides Daniel) has scored?? All three QBs offense has stalled in the preseason games especially in the redzone.
redskinsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #54
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Quote:
What QB (besides Daniel) has scored?? All three QBs offense has stalled in the preseason games especially in the redzone.

I thought you just said that none of them got us in FG range?? which is it?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #55
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
I call bullshit on you. You were on here last week claiming that Campbell needed to throw it deep to prove a point. THEN WE DID THAT and now you are questioning Zorn's playcalling.

Basically, you have no idea why you hate our offense, and just want change for the sake of change. Why torture yourself any longer. You won't be able to rationalize to yourself what's happening if things are working, so why watch?

Just admit it, you're watching in the hope that Campbell fails, and then you can say you had it right, and that we needed a new QB. If Zorn fails along the way, then he's just collateral damage in your eyes.
Woah, take it easy fella. Didn't mean to strike a nerve. Take a deep breath and have a few sips of your Sunday morning coffee. The one play I criticized last week was the pass to Randle El in traffic when DT was in single coverage down the sideline on a pattern that wasn't all that deep. My point was that he had options on that play and went for the short pass vs. a mid to long pass that for most QBs is just as high a percentage play.

I don't think it's radical to submit that Zorn MAY NOT be that good of a coach, since he's got nothing in his past he can hang his hat on, except for the 6-2 start that could have been as much smoke and mirrors as anything else.

The only thing I'll admint is that you're a tool.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #56
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I liked the deep pass play calls. They created a vertical aspect for the offense even though they were incomplete. We've been so conservative for so long, I think it is good to do things to keep safeties from cheating towards the line of scrimmage.
I agree I loved seeing them at least trying to throw deep. Campbell seriously missed a TD on the first one, the throw was way off. Kelly had the step on the defense, he just put it where they could still recover and make the play. I agree though keeping a few deep plays in the playcalling will loosen everything up closer to the line of scrimmage, even if they arent completed.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #57
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Woah, take it easy fella. Didn't mean to strike a nerve. Take a deep breath and have a few sips of your Sunday morning coffee. The one play I criticized last week was the pass to Randle El in traffic when DT was in single coverage down the sideline on a pattern that wasn't all that deep. My point was that he had options on that play and went for the short pass vs. a mid to long pass that for most QBs is just as high a percentage play.

I don't think it's radical to submit that Zorn MAY NOT be that good of a coach, since he's got nothing in his past he can hang his hat on, except for the 6-2 start that could have been as much smoke and mirrors as anything else.

The only thing I'll admint is that you're a tool.
You tried to use it as indisputable proof that the quarterback didn't have an ability to see a play as it developed. You were wrong, you didn't take responsibility for being wrong, and this week, the gameplan proved you hilariously wrong.

I personally don't really care what you think about Zorn as a coach, and perhaps you'll be proven right on him in the long run. Maybe you'll be right about Campbell too, in the long run.

At this point though, all you've proven is that you're a hypocrite, and that I don't believe that there can be an outcome to this season that makes us both happy.

So, in light of the evidence, I hope Campbell and Zorn do well, win double digit games, and that you have a miserable year watching it.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #58
budw38
Playmaker

Lets face it , if JC does not improve a great deal < he has to hit some passes 25 yds downfield > , we will have a new qb next year . Not that it is ALL is fault , but we need better production from the qb postion . That first pass to Kelly should have been 6 points , JC needed to lead MK to the middle .

Last edited by budw38; 08-23-2009 at 10:13 AM.
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #59
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
LEts face it , if JC does not improve a great deal < he has to hit some passes 25 yds downfield > , we will have a new qb next year . No it is not ALL is fault , but we need better production from the qb postion . That first pass to Kelly should have been 6 points , JC needed to lead MK to the middle .
Probably a bottom line summary.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #60
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
I don't feel like I'm above this discussion, but if it devolves into a stupid comparison of what other quarterbacks did in their meaningless quarter of work, I have nothing of substance to add to a substanceless argument.

And yes, he has had 6-7, 100 yd stretches before against defenses like the Giants and Cowboys. As has Todd Collins. It's not a special accomplishment.

The problem is that Jason Campbell is being put on a "needs to produce" pedistal. Duh. So does everyone else. If other people are not producing, his job becomes more difficult. London Fletcher is under a ton of pressure to produce this year. Albert Haynesworth is probably under twice as much pressure as Fletcher. Both of them were involved on more plays yesterday than Campbell. And yet, not one thought about them?

There's other things to football besides harping on a meaningless sample performance by the QB. You and I know that. A few others do not seem to.
I agree with all of this. I guess I am putting Campbell on the "needs to produce now pedestal" since the FO tried to get rid of him twice in the offseason.

It is possible that Fletcher could be gone after a poor year but I would be very surprised; first if he had a poor year and second if they followed that up with a release. Haynesworth's contract basically ties him to the team for several years so he could turn into Stubby this year and still be around for a while.