Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WP: The Numbers Don't Lie (How Snyder Has Handled the Cap)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #31
squrrelco3
Special Teams

Re: WP: The Numbers Don't Lie (How Snyder Has Handled the Cap)

I have a question for our resident capologists Schneed and Canuck ... sort of on this same topic. I have heard a lot of speculation amongst the media that the Union and ownership are so far apart right now that there will probably be at least one year, possibly 2010, that there will be no cap. If that is the case, could the 'skins hold off until then and then use the uncapped year to clear the dead weight off their books from all of these contracts and start over at zero?

If so how would that work?

(Mods feel free to move this question to the Salary Cap Central forum if it is more relevant there.)

Advertisements
Old 04-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #32
SeanTaylor21
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Which speaks to talent evaluation, but not to salary cap management. The problem has never been that we've been constrained by the cap, preventing us from getting who we wanted. The problem has been that too many of the guys we got were failures.

Speaks for itself.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6...rmationgg7.jpg

http://www.thehogs.net/sean-taylor/burgundy_heart.jpg
SeanTaylor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #33
That Guy
Living Legend

we waste money on bad players. we sign good players too, but the hit/miss percentage is way too high to get ahead with that much money involved... it's been brought up an awful lot, and it's still true, but you can't go back in time now to fix it.

hopefully everyone's learned that wasting money on guys like arch or lloyd is a Bad Idea (R). I mean, if you went to either of those players previous team's message boards, those fans said everything you needed to know. arch had one too many injuries and was shot as far as starting, and lloyd was a cancer and not nearly as good as advertised. the fans said that BEFORE they even landed in DC, go figure they know they're own players (meanwhile, bills fans praised fletcher, indy's GM talked up washington, jet's fans said moss was good when healthy and really fast, but had massive issues with hamstrings).

it's not rocket science, and hopefully the staff that's in place is the one that finally figures it out.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #34
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I agree fully. I get tired of the opinion that because we clear up cap space one season that means we're in good shap w/the cap. We almost got to see how bad things were in 06 when the cba was about to expire.

Yes, we would've been in cap hell if a new deal was not struck.

good points about the draft, about the same thing I was saying earlier, we burned draft picks in trades & that really hurt over time.
True, but about 20 other teams would have been as well. So it would have been a league wide problem and not just ours.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #35
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
True, but about 20 other teams would have been as well. So it would have been a league wide problem and not just ours.
Not sure there were 20 teams that would've been even nearly as affected as us. It's one thing for 20 teams to have to cut a few players they don't want to, but the situation in 06 for us was much more dire than that.

But let's suppose you're right & we say that 20 teams are in some form of "cap hell," that leaves 12 teams who are presumably the top third in cap management (at that time). There are 12 teams in the playoffs every year as well.

So to me that says the Skins (again at the time in 06 when the old cba was ending) are one of the worst if not worst in cap management among 20 or so teams that are bad at it.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #36
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Not sure there were 20 teams that would've been even nearly as affected as us. It's one thing for 20 teams to have to cut a few players they don't want to, but the situation in 06 for us was much more dire than that.

But let's suppose you're right & we say that 20 teams are in some form of "cap hell," that leaves 12 teams who are presumably the top third in cap management (at that time). There are 12 teams in the playoffs every year as well.

So to me that says the Skins (again at the time in 06 when the old cba was ending) are one of the worst if not worst in cap management among 20 or so teams that are bad at it.
But it would have only lasted that season (2006) and 2007 would have been an uncapped year without the CBA. So it really wasn't ever that bad.

Edit. I guess what I am trying to say is that Snyder and his braintrust had this all figured out and the team was never going to suffer or be in CAP Hell with long term consequences. He knew that 1 of 2 things was possible. Either the old CBA would expire putting us in cap hell for one season prior to an uncaped season, or the CBA would be renewed with a cap increase included. Either way Danny was in a win win situation.

The consequences of that 1 year of cap hell would not have been that detrimental.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote