Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Om Field: Redskins Reality Check

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #16
johnerotten

Re: Om Field: Redskins Reality Check

i just worry because in the past,winless teams often have'nt got a win until they have played the redskins!
johnerotten is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
redsk1
The Starter

I think we all need to not overanalyze here. We have a much better team than Detroit. Much better. Will i be happy being 6-2, yes. Did I think that we'd be 5-2, 6-2, or 5-3 at the beginning of the year? No. The first 7 weeks of the season has told us we have a pretty good team w/ wins on the road in the division against good teams. I think good teams should beat bad teams, really bad teams by a decent margin, and I think we have a good team.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #18
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

The bar has been moved by the team itself, not the fans.

Expectations by fans should be high. There's nothing wrong with that. The redskins have earned higher expectations this year and that's not a bad thing.

When you have a QB approaching the mid season point with 0 ints, you expect him not to come out and have a 4 turnover performance.

When you have the leagues leading rusher and a league MVP as a backup, along with a stellar O line, you expect to have success running the ball.

When you have the #6 D in the league after playing several of the top 10 offenses in the league, you never expect ANY team to hang 30+ on you.

The media didn't make one of those things happen. They could all write this team off or sell us as the next 70s steelers. It won't change what this team has accomplished and acheived thus far.

And, if you have all these things working for you as we do, how can you not expect to destroy the lions; a terrible team with a terrible record. I don't see how we can just be content with our record and throw theirs out when coming up with expectations for this game. Not to mention if you asked me at the beginning of the year (or even after week one, hell) what I predicted for the skins lions game, I would have still predicted a stifling skins victory.

Ill be happy with a win either way, but if we squeak this one out I'm going to be worried and rightfully a bit disappointed. Shame on me.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #19
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
And the end of the year is anyone going to look back and wonder why the Skins didn't blow out Detroit? You count up the wins and go from there into the playoffs.
PLAYOFFS!? PLAYOFFS!? Yeah baby. PLAYOFFS!
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #20
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
OK. ill say it again. a win, is a win, is a win. can anyone remember any of the scores of the 1991 championship season? no, but i bet alot of us remember the record that season. the margin of success in the nfl is so slim, that ill take them any way i can get them
YES! The Redskins killed detroit 45-0 first game of the year. I also remember them shutting out their first 3 home opponents.

The good teams put teams away.
The pretenders play down to their opponents.

I hope the Redskins prove they are a good team tomorrow.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
And the end of the year is anyone going to look back and wonder why the Skins didn't blow out Detroit? You count up the wins and go from there into the playoffs.
Well, the last two times we made the playoffs there were a lot of people right here on this board who didn't talk about us actually making the playoffs so much as to how we "backed in" or "lucked in" There are definitely people who will wonder why we didn't stomp through the competition.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
You're probably right.

I think an interesting discussion could be had on why we as Skins fans, are so hyper-sensitive to negativity of our team but on the other hand we seem to wallow in it pretty consistently. Of course these are generalizations but it seems to me that our fan-base is somewhat hypocritical in this regard.
Because they're our kids and only we can discipline them
Old 10-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well, the last two times we made the playoffs there were a lot of people right here on this board who didn't talk about us actually making the playoffs so much as to how we "backed in" or "lucked in" There are definitely people who will wonder why we didn't stomp through the competition.
Yep, some people are just never satisfied I guess. One man's playoff run is another's backing in, whatever that means.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #24
-Om-
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalEnigma21 View Post
The bar has been moved by the team itself, not the fans.

Expectations by fans should be high. There's nothing wrong with that. The redskins have earned higher expectations this year and that's not a bad thing.

When you have a QB approaching the mid season point with 0 ints, you expect him not to come out and have a 4 turnover performance.

When you have the leagues leading rusher and a league MVP as a backup, along with a stellar O line, you expect to have success running the ball.

When you have the #6 D in the league after playing several of the top 10 offenses in the league, you never expect ANY team to hang 30+ on you.

The media didn't make one of those things happen. They could all write this team off or sell us as the next 70s steelers. It won't change what this team has accomplished and acheived thus far.

And, if you have all these things working for you as we do, how can you not expect to destroy the lions; a terrible team with a terrible record. I don't see how we can just be content with our record and throw theirs out when coming up with expectations for this game. Not to mention if you asked me at the beginning of the year (or even after week one, hell) what I predicted for the skins lions game, I would have still predicted a stifling skins victory.

Ill be happy with a win either way, but if we squeak this one out I'm going to be worried and rightfully a bit disappointed. Shame on me.
You were fine right up until you casually dismissed the homestanding Lions as "a terrible team with a terrible record."

Week in and week out, year after year, teams that "should" win a given game based on paper comparisons get their butts handed to them by a team with a crappy record and crappy stats. Why? Because it's the NFL and there is no such thing as a "terrible" team--not on any given Sunday.

Two weeks ago, the undefeated Giants got thumped by the winless, "terrible" Browns.

Last week, the 4-2 Cowboys got thumped by the "terrible" Rams.

And a week before that, the very Redskins we're talking about, streaking at 4-1, handed away a game they dominated to the same, then-winless, "terrible" Rams.

The Skins have won their 5 games by an average margin of 4.6 points. Their largest margin of victory in any of those wins was 7.

"Expecting" them to "blow out" anybody right now is certainly your right, but it's also based on statistics and records. The NFL doesn't work that way.
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #25
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Because they're our kids and only we can discipline them
All in the family huh?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #26
redskinjim
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
OK. ill say it again. a win, is a win, is a win. can anyone remember any of the scores of the 1991 championship season? no, but i bet alot of us remember the record that season. the margin of success in the nfl is so slim, that ill take them any way i can get them
box scores for 1991 we beat detroit 45 to o we were a very good team that year blowing out most teams cardinals 34 to 0 eagles 23to0 cleveland 42to17 steelers 41to14 check out profootballreference.com
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #27
Miller101
Special Teams

Clicking on this thread and reading these posts.................We have a championship caliber team. Its been a while, but we got one. I'm not saying superbowl. I'm just saying we have a team that can go. In the 70's and 80's we had a team that was championship caliber. We only won it three times, so its tough to do it. But we got one of those teams again.

I mean, we're sitting here and wondering Would it be okay if we DON'T blow the Lions out?!?!?!?! Will we still be alright if we just barely win??? Would we still be a contender if we only win by a touchdown???

This is hilarious!!! I just can't believe that we're actually talking like this again! This thread right here has me thinking how deep in the playoffs this team is going to go.

Me, Personally, I want a blow out! Blow outs are cool! They're fun to watch! The last team we blew out was Dallas in 07. We need another one of those. But, at the same time, we'll still be contenders for the division title if we just win by a touchdown or a field goal. The lions are a team that never quit. Even when we started to run up more points on them last year and the game was definetly over. They still kept driving. Kept trying. They didn't stop until the clock stopped. Blowing out a team like that is tough. Very tough. We did do it last year and I would love to see it again this year!
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #28
redskinjim
Special Teams

we need to win this game.one game at a time just win baby
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #29
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinjim View Post
box scores for 1991 we beat detroit 45 to o we were a very good team that year blowing out most teams cardinals 34 to 0 eagles 23to0 cleveland 42to17 steelers 41to14 check out profootballreference.com
i meant without looking them up:confused:
Old 10-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #30
nyredskinsfan
Special Teams

Good article. Agree with every word of the author.