Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Haskins Threat 2.0

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your opinion on Haskins heading into next season?
Promising, he looks like he could be a player 43 72.88%
Still on the fence 15 25.42%
He's a bust 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 12:23 AM   #121
Warthog
The Starter

Re: The Haskins Threat 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
What is up with the ridiculous persecution complex?

Haskins was graded by most teams as a 2nd or 3rd round talent. The football people in our organization liked him, but didn't think he deserved to be drafted at 15. Snyder and Allen overruled the experts in the organization, like current defacto GM Kyle Smith, and reached for him at 15 anyways.

There were reports all offseason and during most of the regular season that Haskins was not taking the job seriously. That he wasn't putting in the work. And that his own team mates were put off by it. "Selfie-gate" got a lot of an attention, but it that was just one manifestation of a genuine, true, and very real underlying problem with Haskins that you don't have with the overwhelming majority of first round rookie starting QBs.

Bottom line - the criticism of Haskins was well-deserved.

Front office executives, Coaches, and players do not deserve our blind loyalty.

People will (and should) like or dislike a player, coach, or executive, based on their performance, work ethic, and commitment. If they work hard, take the job seriously, lead, and perform, fans will justifiably praise them. If they don't, they deserve criticism.

Haskins was rated by most as a first rounder who the Giants should have picked. The Redskins draft in 2019 was graded by some as THE BEST in the NFL, almost universally as an “A” grade right after the draft. This excellent analysis of our draft was by many sources that dislike Snyder and/or the franchise. Haskins did great at Ohio State (beat out Burrows) and his only down was his inexperience. Our very high draft grades from pundits cane because the team waited to get Haskins at 15 instead of trading up.

Sure Haskins was showing a little immaturity in the TC, because he was playing with the third-team behind two journeyman QB because Gruden needed to win now. But he talked to Alex Smith and got strengthened out by him and got back into studying and motivated. He had a terrible first game but got better to finish well. He played hurt, impressing his teammates. He improved, which impressed his teammates. He showed leadership.

For a rookie with significant handicaps: weak OL, no TE, rookie WR, Jurassic game plan he got better every game.

I’m behind Haskins now. He’s continuing to impress in the off season at Asburn with his work with Harmon and others. He’s bringing all the WR to Florida to work with them. Remember last season, he never practiced with the first team WR until in a regular game.

This offense will be much better than last year at OL, TE, WR and RB and most importantly in play-calling. This will ALL help Haskins -let’s see how he does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"

Advertisements
Old 04-02-2020, 12:13 AM   #122
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

From one, PFF. Sounds familiar.

The case for building around Washington Redskins QB Dwayne Haskins:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-cas...dwayne-haskins

Its a premium article, which I don't have myself. But you can read a good chunk of it before it cuts off.

"He had just seven touchdowns to seven picks, but he actually had fewer turnover-worthy plays than interceptions."

Case of some bad luck it would seem.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #123
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
From one, PFF. Sounds familiar.

The case for building around Washington Redskins QB Dwayne Haskins:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-cas...dwayne-haskins

Its a premium article, which I don't have myself. But you can read a good chunk of it before it cuts off.

"He had just seven touchdowns to seven picks, but he actually had fewer turnover-worthy plays than interceptions."

Case of some bad luck it would seem.
Sam is great at his job, he's a writing wiz..

Great article , if you didn't get to read it all he I'll post a couple passages here:

He had just seven touchdowns to seven picks, but he actually had fewer turnover-worthy plays than interceptions. Typically, those numbers work in reverse (defenders drop a lot of would-be picks, so the number of interceptions is usually lower than the number of plays that should have been turnovers). Daniel Jones, for example, had 31 turnover-worthy plays compared to just 12 interceptions. Murray had six more, and Minshew had 12 more. Haskins, in fact, was the only rookie passer to end up with more turnovers than turnover-worthy plays, and that skews the narrative.

Haskins actually had by far the lowest turnover-worthy play rate (2.3%) of any of those rookie passers. But of course, mistakes are only one part of the story. Avoiding mistakes but rarely making any big plays on the other side consigns a passer to life as a “game manager,” which in today’s league might as well be synonymous with “career backup.”

Haskins was definitely too conservative at the start of his playing time, and overall, he ended the year with just seven touchdowns and eight big-time throws, but what’s interesting was how he opened up as the season wore on. Indeed, while it had been Terry McLaurin that had been looking like a star all year despite the quarterback play, suddenly he couldn’t haul in a couple of Haskins’ best throws.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:46 PM   #124
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Sam is great at his job, he's a writing wiz..

Great article , if you didn't get to read it all he I'll post a couple passages here:

He had just seven touchdowns to seven picks, but he actually had fewer turnover-worthy plays than interceptions. Typically, those numbers work in reverse (defenders drop a lot of would-be picks, so the number of interceptions is usually lower than the number of plays that should have been turnovers). Daniel Jones, for example, had 31 turnover-worthy plays compared to just 12 interceptions. Murray had six more, and Minshew had 12 more. Haskins, in fact, was the only rookie passer to end up with more turnovers than turnover-worthy plays, and that skews the narrative.

Haskins actually had by far the lowest turnover-worthy play rate (2.3%) of any of those rookie passers. But of course, mistakes are only one part of the story. Avoiding mistakes but rarely making any big plays on the other side consigns a passer to life as a “game manager,” which in today’s league might as well be synonymous with “career backup.”

Haskins was definitely too conservative at the start of his playing time, and overall, he ended the year with just seven touchdowns and eight big-time throws, but what’s interesting was how he opened up as the season wore on. Indeed, while it had been Terry McLaurin that had been looking like a star all year despite the quarterback play, suddenly he couldn’t haul in a couple of Haskins’ best throws.
I also think you have to take into consideration who DH had to throw to which was pretty much nobody. His top weapon was a rookie like himself. All things considered he did pretty good.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #125
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

A good tight end is one of a rookie QB's best friends. Jeremy Sprinkle had 241 receiving yards, the most for a TE on the 2019 Redskins.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:18 PM   #126
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Still say Reed would have balled out if it wasn't for that dirty fucking hit in Atlanta
Old 04-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #127
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Question who had better WR's in College (A) D. Haskins, (B) Tua, (C) Burrow.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #128
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Tua
Old 04-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #129
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Not saying they won't be good QB's but Tua and Burrow had better WR's in College yet DH put up better one year numbers than both of them. Let DH develop JMO you will not be disappointed. HTTR.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:15 PM   #130
Warthog
The Starter

Tua will be drafted by Miami. We will draft Chase. The Redskins WR crew will improve with the pickup of a WR #2 from the addition of a bunch of WR.

I don’t know how much our TE group will improve this season. We added a bunch of TE to compete against each other. I just don’t know if we have any real talent there. Wish we had picked up Hooper -he isn’t elite but adding a very good TE would have been someone to build upon.

Haskins will have this year to prove himself. I think the OL will be shaky. Scherff will have a better year. Martin will take over for Flowers. Moses will have another crap year. There will be an open competition for LT. I just think the OL will not be a positive for Haskins.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 04-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #131
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
Not saying they won't be good QB's but Tua and Burrow had better WR's in College yet DH put up better one year numbers than both of them. Let DH develop JMO you will not be disappointed. HTTR.
I like DH, so don't get me wrong, but I think that the argument that Ohio State didn't have good receivers for him just isn't true. Heck, McLaurin was his #3 option, right? Sure, Alabama and LSU had great receivers, but Ohio State's weren't exactly slouches.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:37 PM   #132
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

College QBs numbers are inflated in today's game. Guys throw 6 tds a game sometimes. OSU had Terry and parris Campbell along with Mack and Hill. They were loaded. All the power schools have pools of talent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #133
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
I like DH, so don't get me wrong, but I think that the argument that Ohio State didn't have good receivers for him just isn't true. Heck, McLaurin was his #3 option, right? Sure, Alabama and LSU had great receivers, but Ohio State's weren't exactly slouches.
My bad I'm not saying the aren't good but Tua and Burrow had better WR.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:59 PM   #134
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Tua will be drafted by Miami. We will draft Chase. The Redskins WR crew will improve with the pickup of a WR #2 from the addition of a bunch of WR.

I don’t know how much our TE group will improve this season. We added a bunch of TE to compete against each other. I just don’t know if we have any real talent there. Wish we had picked up Hooper -he isn’t elite but adding a very good TE would have been someone to build upon.

Haskins will have this year to prove himself. I think the OL will be shaky. Scherff will have a better year. Martin will take over for Flowers. Moses will have another crap year. There will be an open competition for LT. I just think the OL will not be a positive for Haskins.

At least we are guaranteed it can't get worse.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:56 AM   #135
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Hey Haskins, when you lead us to the promised land, you still won't know who I am, but I was one of the select few that supported you 1st!

Closed Thread