Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #166
metalskins
The Starter

Re: Dwayne Haskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
It is my understanding (I'll look for the source in a bit), that Haskins receives audibles from the sideline at Ohio State. Not saying he can't do it in the PRO, but it is misleading to think this is or is not a strength by watching the game.
A lot of first year quarterbacks don't call their own audibles. So, I don't see why this is a big issue if true. Besides, there is a good chance Haskins isn't starting his first year anyway. I am not even sure if Peyton Manning called his own plays his first or second year.

To me, this is a non-issue.

Advertisements
Old 05-03-2019, 11:23 PM   #167
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
And this is why I believe he should be put in there right away. He's not the normal 21 year. He's already an advanced player at the line and probably a quick learner. Watching Case or Colt isn't getting him better at sliding protections and reading NFL defenses.
Yeah I totally agree with that philosophy. Haskins is the future and might as well jump in that deep water. He'll make rookie mistakes, but he will learn. What is he going to get out of watching Colt or Case - they're both scrubs. The Eagles played Wentz from the first game, and most other teams do as well.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 05-04-2019, 12:42 AM   #168
los panda
Pro Bowl

It's a large amount of information to digest, just the offensive playbook by itself. I'm ok if he needs to take his time before jumping right in.

I'd love for him to start day 1 and ball out, but he may need more time, no big deal.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #169
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
It's a large amount of information to digest, just the offensive playbook by itself. I'm ok if he needs to take his time before jumping right in.

I'd love for him to start day 1 and ball out, but he may need more time, no big deal.
They usually dumb it down in the first season for the rookie QB in the beginning, before adding more plays as the season goes on. Nothing will replace the experience gained on the field. Play him from the get-go.

Flyboy.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #170
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
It is my understanding (I'll look for the source in a bit), that Haskins receives audibles from the sideline at Ohio State. Not saying he can't do it in the PRO, but it is misleading to think this is or is not a strength by watching the game.
Last year the media talked alot about how mcvay was talking to goff up until the time the helmet headset was cut off. He did the same with KC when he was here. As long as Haskins can process the informatuon be it from the sideline or his own eyes than he should be good. I hope they have a true competition in camp and preseason, might even get JG to put more emphasis on those games and lead to a better start to the season.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #171
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
They usually dumb it down in the first season for the rookie QB in the beginning, before adding more plays as the season goes on. Nothing will replace the experience gained on the field. Play him from the get-go.
1st start against Philly in Philly?

Jim Schwartz seconds your idea.

Which QB do you want to draft next year?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #172
Bigreds77
Special Teams

If Haskins is not ready let him sit. If he starts before he is ready it will be hard to bench him
Old 05-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #173
MTK
\m/

All depends on how he looks in camp. I wouldn't be against him sitting out that brutal 5 game start to the season and coming in after that. But if he looks good in camp and seems like he can handle things, get him out there.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #174
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
All depends on how he looks in camp. I wouldn't be against him sitting out that brutal 5 game start to the season and coming in after that. But if he looks good in camp and seems like he can handle things, get him out there.
He is already better than Keenum, might as well start him barring a horrible Pre season.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #175
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
1st start against Philly in Philly?

Jim Schwartz seconds your idea.

Which QB do you want to draft next year?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigreds77 View Post
If Haskins is not ready let him sit. If he starts before he is ready it will be hard to bench him
I totally agree with you both!

Keenum is not that bad and I personally see absolutely no reason to start Haskins at all this season.

Personally I would keep Haskins on the bench for at least a year and maybe work him into a few game this year if possible. But I would not make Haskins the Starting QB until next year.

As I mentioned, Keenum is not a bad QB, and the Redskins most likely won't be contenders this season, so I see not reason to push Haskins too quickly. My feeling is that with all of hopes of having a Franchise QB, I don't want to see Haskins thrown in too early and have him get injured or lose his confidence to quickly. IMHO, two of the problems that plagued RG3 were getting injured in his rookie season and then getting hit enough times where he got goosie.

Of course the biggest problem with RG3 was the owner fawning over RG3, and giving RG3 a sense of entitlement. But that is another story!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #176
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct1975 View Post
I totally agree with you both!

Keenum is not that bad and I personally see absolutely no reason to start Haskins at all this season.

Personally I would keep Haskins on the bench for at least a year and maybe work him into a few game this year if possible. But I would not make Haskins the Starting QB until next year.

As I mentioned, Keenum is not a bad QB, and the Redskins most likely won't be contenders this season, so I see not reason to push Haskins too quickly. My feeling is that with all of hopes of having a Franchise QB, I don't want to see Haskins thrown in too early and have him get injured or lose his confidence to quickly. IMHO, two of the problems that plagued RG3 were getting injured in his rookie season and then getting hit enough times where he got goosie.

Of course the biggest problem with RG3 was the owner fawning over RG3, and giving RG3 a sense of entitlement. But that is another story!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
RG3's problem is that he couldn't read NFL defenses and he never could play at the NFL level. Haskins needs experience and can get it best by playing. I just don't see how Haskins is going to learn a lot from watching Keenum or McCoy play. A compromise is to let Case play for 5-6 games then put Haskins in to finish out the season.

If Haskins wins out the preseason competition I just don't see how you can hold him back simply because he may get hurt.

Flyboy.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #177
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
RG3's problem is that he couldn't read NFL defenses and he never could play at the NFL level. Haskins needs experience and can get it best by playing. I just don't see how Haskins is going to learn a lot from watching Keenum or McCoy play. A compromise is to let Case play for 5-6 games then put Haskins in to finish out the season.

If Haskins wins out the preseason competition I just don't see how you can hold him back simply because he may get hurt.
He's not going to learn much behind those 2 avg QBs, its not like he's sitting behind a proven starter, (Cousins)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #178
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I really don't have a problem with either approach. There isn't one approach that determines a successful qb. As long as he works hard, studies the playbook, and learns on the field (and doesn't develop a friendship with the owner that allows him to go over Gruden's head when they inevitably butt heads) he should be fine.

I would prefer him to sit on the bench and study the book, learn the terminology, etc. before he starts but that's only because we still don't have a reliable #1 wideout for him to throw to. Richardson just isn't that guy, Doctson definitely isn't either, and everyone else needs time to learn. Reed is a weapon when healthy, but we all know how that goes.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #179
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
He's not going to learn much behind those 2 avg QBs, its not like he's sitting behind a proven starter, (Cousins)
Mahomes learned from Smith for a year, yeah I know Smith won't be playing but I guarantee they'll want Haskins doing the same thing, even if Keenum starts for a bit. Keenum didn't make it this far on his athletic ability, it's his work ethic that keeps getting him opportunities.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #180
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
You would be surprised how much wealth of knowledge can be obtained from guys like Case Keenum and Alex Smith. And yes, I'd even say Colt McCoy to a lesser extent. I don't see a need for Haskins to be thrown into the fire unless he clearly beats out the other guys for the starting job.

It's not like he's coming onto the scene with John Beck and enter no-name quarterback as the backup. He's got some guys around him who can help build him up. Gruden is pretty good with quarterbacks, and he's got some former quarterbacks as coaches who can help further develop him. I think Haskins will be OK.