D 1 0.74%
F 2 1.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #61
Sonny9TD

Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Just wondering, who was this 7th round OL that would start for us Now. Contrary to this board's belief. Our offensive line is actually pretty good.
Below are some but WR would have been nice. If the RBs can be players that contribute I'll be happy though. Maybe Shanny can get some use out of them.

Offensive linemen
1. LaAdrian Waddle (OT), Texas Tech (UPDATE: Waddle signed with the Lions on Saturday.)
2. Emmett Cleary (OT), Boston College
3. Xavier Nixon (OT), Florida (UPDATE: Nixon signed with the Redskins on Saturday.)
4. Nick Becton (OT), Virginia Tech (UPDATE: Becton signed with the Chargers on Saturday.)
5. Braxston Cave (C), Notre Dame (UPDATE: Cave signed with the Browns on Saturday.)
6. Stephane Milhim (G), Massachusetts
7. John Wetzel (OT), Boston College
8. Lamar Mady (G), Youngstown State (UPDATE: Mady signed with the Raiders on Saturday.)
9. Jamaal Johnson-Webb (OT), Alabama A&M (UPDATE: Johnson-Webb signed with the Cardinals on Saturday.)

OG Alvin Bailey, Arkansas (6-3, 312, 4.95)

Bailey started every game of his collegiate career (38) with time at both left and right guard. He has intriguing size and power but is a limited athlete and very inconsistent, too easily abandoning his fundamentals as a blocker. At a position like guard, teams are less likely to take a chance on players with questions like Bailey.

. OT Chris Faulk, LSU (6-5, 331, 5.08)

Faulk became the full-time starter at left tackle as a sophomore but started just one game in 2012 after a knee injury that required separate surgeries on his MCL and ACL. Despite missing almost all of his junior year, he decided to skip his final season and go pro. The questions about his knee were likly a large factor as to why he went undrafted.

Last edited by Sonny9TD; 04-28-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Sonny9TD is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #62
Sonny9TD

Also, I sincerely doubt that Mike Shanahan is trying to prove anything to anybody when he drafts.[/QUOTE]

Of course he wants to continue his RB track record.It's a natural tendency to continue doing what he is known for. It may not be priority one but it is on his list. I hope one of them can catch and make plays for us.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #63
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny9TD View Post

Of course he wants to continue his RB track record.It's a natural tendency to continue doing what he is known for. It may not be priority one but it is on his list. I hope one of them can catch and make plays for us.
I think MS believes that late round RBs are easy depth at a position that tears a body up. He knows which ones fit his system and picks one a year late that can step in if #1 goes down. Someone else mentioned the fact that we have the former SD GM as a consultant, and I believe his influence probably drove the 5th rd pick. But looking at the Rutgers kid, I think that pick is all on MS.

I gave the draft a B, easily could have gone with an A at this point because I think they did an excellent job of blending value and need with the defensive picks. The offensive picks really are just "gravy" whether it was OL or skill positions. The defensive picks, however, were areas of extreme weakness, and the picks were clearly well timed within the framework of other teams needs and likely picks. That they got Rambo in the 6th, when many fans would have been happy with him in the 3rd, or even Amerson was taken right about when all the CBs started coming off the board, and if that was the one they wanted, he would (and most others) would have been gone by the next pick.

I think an OT in place of Thompson or Jenkins would have made it an A for me, but honestly I can't say what OT would have had any more chance of making an impact than either of those two, and I don't have much expectation for either of them.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #64
Sonny9TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think MS believes that late round RBs are easy depth at a position that tears a body up. He knows which ones fit his system and picks one a year late that can step in if #1 goes down. Someone else mentioned the fact that we have the former SD GM as a consultant, and I believe his influence probably drove the 5th rd pick. But looking at the Rutgers kid, I think that pick is all on MS.

I gave the draft a B, easily could have gone with an A at this point because I think they did an excellent job of blending value and need with the defensive picks. The offensive picks really are just "gravy" whether it was OL or skill positions. The defensive picks, however, were areas of extreme weakness, and the picks were clearly well timed within the framework of other teams needs and likely picks. That they got Rambo in the 6th, when many fans would have been happy with him in the 3rd, or even Amerson was taken right about when all the CBs started coming off the board, and if that was the one they wanted, he would (and most others) would have been gone by the next pick.

I think an OT in place of Thompson or Jenkins would have made it an A for me, but honestly I can't say what OT would have had any more chance of making an impact than either of those two, and I don't have much expectation for either of them.
Excellent post.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #65
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Been reading stuff about Jordan Reed and it looks very promising.
To quote a friend he seems like more of a hybrid WR than a TE.
He has played four different positions.
And with Bob as our QB I see this guy as a flexible weapon that will confound a lot of defenses.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #66
MTK
\m/

NFL Draft 2013: Breaking down the 'Joker' tight ends - SBNation.com
Old 04-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #67
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Reed will be like our version of San Fran's walker was. He'll make plays all over, FB, TE, WR

He was better than Walker when healthy

Last edited by skinsfaninok; 05-04-2020 at 03:49 PM.
skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #68
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

I'm happy and excited about this year's draft class, especially getting Phillip Thomas and Bacarri Rambo.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #69
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

4/28 Q&A with Redskins Mike Shanahan on the draft | E.Y.E.S. Radio Network
Quote:
On the new additions to the secondary:
“You’re always looking for guys that can catch a football, but you’re looking for speed. You’re looking for, in the safety position, a guy that’s physical, a guy that can catch a football. More importantly I think we got a little bit more flexibility. You’ve got a guy like [cornerback E.J.] Biggers and a guy like Amerson. You’ve got the flexibility with a guy like D-Hall [cornerback DeAngelo Hall]. I like [cornerback] Josh Wilson to work inside as well. So, we’ve still got speed on the outside, a little bit more flexibility on the inside with our nickel and dime packages, combined with our two new safeties and the possibility of Brandon Meriweather coming back full speed. There’s Tanard Jackson, Jordan Pugh, Jerome Murphy, we’ve got a lot of guys that are competing and that’s what gives you a chance.”
Hey wait guys...Wheres Chase Minnifields name?!? Exactly. When Jerome Murphy gets mentioned over you, you can see how much Shanahan values you.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #70
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Grading the Redskins lower than a C would have been penalizing them for not having a first round pick. This isn't a super great haul that will make us a much better team, but it seems kinda pointless to harp on the real reason this draft is mediocre...that we didn't pick in the first round.

The Redskins grabbed a whole bunch of 3rd-4th round types because that's what this draft was made up us. Most teams that didn't pick in the top 20 are in the same boat.

If they had a do-over, I would point out that six really good football players got drafted right after Amerson, so I'd like to have gotten one of those guys instead. But from round three on the Redskins looked to be pretty much in their element, and got decent talent return.
What did you think of the Jordan Reed pick? Did Shanny, once again, outsmart everyone with that one?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #71
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I like what we did but impossible to grade it right now.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #72
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
What did you think of the Jordan Reed pick? Did Shanny, once again, outsmart everyone with that one?
Jordan Reed is a talented player who fits what we want to become.

It wasn't a pick that really got me excited and dreaming up ways the Redskins might use him, but it was a pick that made a lot of sense.

The biggest "under the radar" need on offense was what happens to the TE position if Fred Davis never comes all the way back to what he was, which can be a concern with achillies injuries. Jordan Reed might help answer that concern.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #73
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Amerson is a typical shanny pick. He picks based on ceiling...only watches their best plays. From that perspective one can see how amerson was the pick. Right or wrong it is what he does
Deltha O'Neal checks in briefly to agree with you.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #74
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Not to pick on you, but I'm not getting this fascination with drafting linemen this year. We're already 2 deep at every position on the line. Not pro-bowlers deep but sure as hell better off than 5th or 6th round rookie deep. What value would a 5th or 6th round OL bring over a Gettis, Compton, LeRibeus, Hurt? We drafted 6 OL over the past 3 years and signed 3 more who are starting for us. What more do we need to do on the OL?
We (still) have only one healthy, starting-caliber OT on the team, Trent. The rest of the guys either 1) suck 2) are coming off significant injury and long in the tooth 3) have shown absolutely nothing.

Right now, we're in the same position the Eagles were going into the 2012 season, they had one legitimate OT (Jason Peters) and when he went down the offense was done for the year.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #75
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
With all the Offensive Linemen going in the first few rounds and the rookie pay scale being what it is, I think there will be a number of veteran "cap casualties" the Redskins can choose from before the season starts. Not overly concerned about the O line, and very intrigued by the boom potential of this draft class. Several guys with first round talent that fell for a number of character and injury-related reasons. Talent is still there.
This looks like the last remaining piece of the puzzle. Given the FO excellent history of filling our other needs, current and future, I'm still hopeful our starting RT isn't on the roster today.