Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #166
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Marty Hurney Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
1st and Landon Collins, throw in Apke.

I cannot imagine Detroit wanting either of them. Apke should not even be in the league.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-26-2021, 07:11 AM   #167
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Well don't tell them that, just talk up the fact that he was the starting safety on one of the best defences in the league and avoid the part where he was most effective when getting 0 snaps
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:40 AM   #168
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Actually Danny knew what he had in Smith and liked him, I think Ron forced his hand on this one.
That's the whole point.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:47 AM   #169
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'm starting to believe they had a philosophical difference on how to build the team. Guessing Kyle was the more pragmatic, slow and steady type, and Ron thinks we have an opportunity to win now and he wants to seize it. If that is the case, the marriage was doomed as soon as our "window" opened during the season last year.
Coaches are generally always going to take the shorter view, especially versus a stable FO. That is why the FO should be above the coach, not vice versa, in most but not all cases. Smith almost certainly wants to keep up the program that is bringing in talent, three more years of drafting this well, we'd be styling, but we won't see the course through probably. The smart course is to identify a QB you like out of 1st round (assuming top 4 go off board early) and draft him and perhaps one other. I suspect we'll sign a big FA or trade for one.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:31 AM   #170
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
That's the whole point.
So what was he supposed to do? Say, “hey Ron we are keeping Kyle”. He wouldn’t dare question Ron.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #171
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

My bottom line on the whole FO question is this. RR took the keys to the kingdom away from Dan. He has the right to set it up the way he thinks it will work best. As a fan of the team first, being a fan of any coach/player/owner/staffer comes in a distance second to seeing this team become a functional, competitive pro football team.

So for everyone who is wringing their hands because RR hired x or fired y or didn't do z, what is your priority, and if you know better how to handle the whole of an NFL team, please, submit your application to RR.

Not meaning to stifle legit discussion, but some of the angst and doom is just over the top for the level of past performance these men have brought to various clubs.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #172
SunnySide
Playmaker

Landon Collins fills a need and is a good in box safety. His contract dictates that he is not going anywhere this offseason and will be a starter. Curl and collins can be on the field at the same time. Especially if Curl becomes CB3 in nickel packages which we run a lot.

Coveted safeties are becoming multiple position players it seems. Curl has the chance to be that.

Collins has a place on this team and is a positive.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #173
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
Coaches are generally always going to take the shorter view, especially versus a stable FO. That is why the FO should be above the coach, not vice versa, in most but not all cases. Smith almost certainly wants to keep up the program that is bringing in talent, three more years of drafting this well, we'd be styling, but we won't see the course through probably. The smart course is to identify a QB you like out of 1st round (assuming top 4 go off board early) and draft him and perhaps one other. I suspect we'll sign a big FA or trade for one.
By "smart" you apparently mean "in accordance with my opinion." LOL

Your "smart" way has worked real well over the past 20 years, hasn't it? LOL

Sorry, but continuing with the guaranteed mediocrity is not "smart." Recognizing the reality of the window created by the rookie contracts of an excellent group of young players and striking before they become too expensive to keep them all is, indeed, "smart." RR's methodology looks much better to me than yours - and it is not a close call.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #174
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Landon Collins fills a need and is a good in box safety. His contract dictates that he is not going anywhere this offseason and will be a starter. Curl and collins can be on the field at the same time. Especially if Curl becomes CB3 in nickel packages which we run a lot.

Coveted safeties are becoming multiple position players it seems. Curl has the chance to be that.

You could save $8m by making Collins a post June 1st cut I think , $19m saving if you do the same for Alex...... shifts cap hit to next year when maybe the cap is much bigger
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #175
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #176
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:

Collins is not worth his contract and already has a younger, cheaper, and equally productive (if not more so) player at his position. Not sure if there's money to be saved letting Collins go but if there is do it. Trade him if possible first.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #177
SunnySide
Playmaker

For whatever reason im questioning whether im reading this right.

2021 cap hit - whopping eye opening piss you off 17.2M
2021 dead cap if dropped - 13.8M

You drop him, you save 3.4M for 2021.

Id rather have Landon Collins for 3.4M vs having an addl 3.4M in cap .... especially considering we probably will have 10M or so in unused cap for 2021 anyway. Landon Collins is not a negative on the field and seems to be a good locker room leader in a young secondary.

He is not worth the 17.2M cap hit but he does bring value on and off the field.

besides I am not 100% convinced Curl will be a long term starter plus player we are just assuming he will be. I think we artificially elevate low draft young players a bit when they surpass our low expectations of them.

If Curl was a 2nd or 3rd rounder ... I think more people would be medium on him. But since we all love the underdog, diamond in the rough story ... we crown him. I like Curl dont get me wrong and do think he has a better chance of making an impact vs a bacari rambo or philip thomas .. but im not crowning Curl as a top 30 safety. Not yet.

SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #178
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I am cleaning up diet soda off my desk now because of laughter.

That was awesome GIF
Old 01-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #179
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
For whatever reason im questioning whether im reading this right.

2021 cap hit - whopping eye opening piss you off 17.2M
2021 dead cap if dropped - 13.8M

You drop him, you save 3.4M for 2021.

Id rather have Landon Collins for 3.4M vs having an addl 3.4M in cap .... especially considering we probably will have 10M or so in unused cap for 2021 anyway. Landon Collins is not a negative on the field and seems to be a good locker room leader in a young secondary.

He is not worth the 17.2M cap hit but he does bring value on and off the field.

besides I am not 100% convinced Curl will be a long term starter plus player we are just assuming he will be. I think we artificially elevate low draft young players a bit when they surpass our low expectations of them.

If Curl was a 2nd or 3rd rounder ... I think more people would be medium on him. But since we all love the underdog, diamond in the rough story ... we crown him. I like Curl dont get me wrong and do think he has a better chance of making an impact vs a bacari rambo or philip thomas .. but im not crowning Curl as a top 30 safety. Not yet.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:12 PM   #180
MTK
\m/

The contract is what it is. I still like the player well enough though, Collins isn't going anywhere.