Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Most likely scenario for the 2020 NFL season?
Starts on time and all regular season and playoff games are played 3 13.64%
Starts on time but doesn't finish 4 18.18%
Starts late but finishes 3 13.64%
Starts late but doesn't finish 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but finishes 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but doesn't finish 1 4.55%
Entire season canceled, no games played 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #31
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Galdi said the NFL is having the Draft as scheduled ... and in a letter to all 32 teams told them to not publicly criticize the decision since there is no benefit to that .. and teams would be subject to discipline if they do.

Advertisements
Old 03-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #32
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
One option that I haven't seen discussed, (which makes sense because we're far from the point where it would become necessary), would be to play the season (or part of it) in empty stadiums (wouldn't change that much for us and a couple of franchises ^^).

The reasoning is that most of the money coming from TV deals, if that sh*t was to linger until September, the NFL could be willing to lose a piece of the cake in order to salvage most of it vs losing all the cake.

I've been spending quite a lot of time in Japan these days, and watching a lot of sumo wrestling. They held the March tournament without any audience, checking all wrestlers' body temperature 3 times a day, any wrestler going above 38,5° had to withdraw for one day, be checked for corona, and they would have cancelled the tournament if one out of the 650+ wrestlers had corona.

I understand the NFL is a way bigger business and that this system would be way more complicated to implement on a 2200 players (+coaches+refs++++) split on 30 different locations (vs 650 wrestlers in one location) ... but if corona was threatening this huge business, I don't think it's crazy to think the NFL would be willing to try just about anything to generate some $.
So knowing that people can carry without any signs for weeks and they still had the sumo matches. They could have the event and a week latter someone shows positive and now all of them have been exposed.

By the time the season gets here we should have plenty of test. Everyone involved could be tested each week and the games played without the fans.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #33
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Trump can talk about Easter all he wants but places like NY are going to be under tight restrictions for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could be mistaken or misunderstood him, but I think the surgeon general said just today or yesterday that he believes NY could still be battling this through next year.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #34
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I don't see any way where the US is able to resume any sort of functional life the rest of this year. I would fear by years end, there are potentially millions of foreclosed homes, probably 100 million people or more out of work. My greatest fear is that this event turns the USA into a "third world country", with a food shortage / outages, no jobs, government and treasury out of money / disbanded, etc. Sort of an every man for himself scenario. This belief is not scientifically based, i want to point out these are my personal fears as a person who battles severe anxiety, this event is hard on me, maybe more so than most people due to underlying anxieties.

Locally, my town has cancelled all public events through the rest of this year. July 4th at the park has been cancelled. Even the Christmas Parades, festivities have been cancelled for the rest of the year.

As far as an NFL season, i think there is zero chance we have one. I think the only reason why they haven't announced it yet is to try and not cause more panic.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #35
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I don't see any way where the US is able to resume any sort of functional life the rest of this year. I would fear by years end, there are potentially millions of foreclosed homes, probably 100 million people or more out of work. My greatest fear is that this event turns the USA into a "third world country", with a food shortage / outages, no jobs, government and treasury out of money / disbanded, etc. Sort of an every man for himself scenario. This belief is not scientifically based, i want to point out these are my personal fears as a person who battles severe anxiety, this event is hard on me, maybe more so than most people due to underlying anxieties.

Locally, my town has cancelled all public events through the rest of this year. July 4th at the park has been cancelled. Even the Christmas Parades, festivities have been cancelled for the rest of the year.

As far as an NFL season, i think there is zero chance we have one. I think the only reason why they haven't announced it yet is to try and not cause more panic.
As far as the NFL you maybe right, i think the rest of what you said is a far cry, I don't see in six months this turning into World War Z.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #36
MTK
\m/

Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Well that’s certainly the doomiest and gloomiest prediction I’ve seen

How long until the zombies come out to play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #37
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

World population 7.8BILLION people. NASA is posting a sign
"Earth closed due to Coronavirus" on the moon.

The virus is going to run it's course. People will die. Science and Humans will adapt.
The world will reopen. The sooner the better.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #38
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:

Are you sure about that? According to the Stephens City website, the town offices are closed until further notice and at least thru March 30. I see no mention of planned activities later in the year. Could that just be a rumor that's going around? Like maybe the phrase "end of the month" got twisted into "end of the year" as word spread from person to person?

Last edited by Number44; 03-27-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:42 PM   #39
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

This is a bit drastic IMO... China is getting better by the day and they have billions of people.. I highly doubt this country folds that easy. As for sports? Who knows, maybe they will be cancelled but it's too early to tell.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:01 PM   #40
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
So knowing that people can carry without any signs for weeks and they still had the sumo matches. They could have the event and a week latter someone shows positive and now all of them have been exposed.

By the time the season gets here we should have plenty of test. Everyone involved could be tested each week and the games played without the fans.
Yeah I think if the situation isn't solved by then, that's a complicated but quite plausible option.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:50 AM   #41
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
Are you sure about that? According to the Stephens City website, the town offices are closed until further notice and at least thru March 30. I see no mention of planned activities later in the year. Could that just be a rumor that's going around? Like maybe the phrase "end of the month" got twisted into "end of the year" as word spread from person to person?
One of my friends is a groundskeeper for the Park in Stephens City. He told me on Wednesday that everything there for the rest of the year was cancelled. They were supposedly calling vendors this week that they normally use for 4th of July and telling them that the event has been cancelled.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #42
Burgold
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake84 View Post
i don't see any way where the us is able to resume any sort of functional life the rest of this year. I would fear by years end, there are potentially millions of foreclosed homes, probably 100 million people or more out of work. My greatest fear is that this event turns the usa into a "third world country", with a food shortage / outages, no jobs, government and treasury out of money / disbanded, etc. Sort of an every man for himself scenario. This belief is not scientifically based, i want to point out these are my personal fears as a person who battles severe anxiety, this event is hard on me, maybe more so than most people due to underlying anxieties.

Locally, my town has cancelled all public events through the rest of this year. July 4th at the park has been cancelled. Even the christmas parades, festivities have been cancelled for the rest of the year.

As far as an nfl season, i think there is zero chance we have one. I think the only reason why they haven't announced it yet is to try and not cause more panic.
thank you !!!
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #43
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Trump just extended the social guidelines thing by 30 more days. And this is coming on the heels of the report from the Feds that unemployment may get over 35% with over 50 million people out of work before the end of the year.

That right there says to me, that there is zero chance of an NFL season this year, hell there may not even be an NFL or any other professional sport league still in operation at this time next year.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #44
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Trump just extended the social guidelines thing by 30 more days. And this is coming on the heels of the report from the Feds that unemployment may get over 35% with over 50 million people out of work before the end of the year.

That right there says to me, that there is zero chance of an NFL season this year, hell there may not even be an NFL or any other professional sport league still in operation at this time next year.

Extended the social distancing to the end of April because the estimated peak of the virus is mid-April.

How about this for a scenario ....

The virus begins its retreat in mid-April ... bans are lifted for most of the country at the end of April, businesses get back to work in May, and the economy starts to roar in June.

NFL starts season as scheduled.

Life returns to normal for most everyone.

See?

We can all make predictions.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #45
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote: